Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! did i mention NO?
    Made an account just to reply to this. If you're gonna just throw a hissy fit like an 8 year old screaming NO 6 times, at least give a reason as to why you didn't like the series. After all, what one person may like, another may not, it's all about personal perception and taste. I for one loved the Sword of Truth series, at times it can be a little drawn out, but the character and story development is fantastic. A must read for any sci-fi/fantasy fan in my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    deleted. 10 chars.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon1984 View Post
    Made an account just to reply to this. If you're gonna just throw a hissy fit like an 8 year old screaming NO 6 times, at least give a reason as to why you didn't like the series. After all, what one person may like, another may not, it's all about personal perception and taste. I for one loved the Sword of Truth series, at times it can be a little drawn out, but the character and story development is fantastic. A must read for any sci-fi/fantasy fan in my opinion.
    the SoT series is decent at best, and that only if your in your teenage years more or less. its poorly written and the bad guys are made out to be extremely terrible ad evil (rape, slavery, immoral, etc) and the good guys are good and only good and have no drawbacks whatsoever. character depth does not exist. should i continue?

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! did i mention NO?
    I completely approve of this message.

"This was no chicken... This was evil manifest!" - worst writing ever backed with god awful and excessively heavy handed attempts at forcing objectivist ideas down people's throats.

OP you didn't mention Pratchett (Discworld)? I'd also suggest looking into Patrick Rothfuss/The Kingkiller Chronicle (not a finished series yet, one more to go, but it's been kind of a big deal - The Name of the Wind in particular, definitely worth reading just for that one).
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-01-09 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you liked the Dragonlance series, you should read the books of Legends of the Dragonrealm - I still have one more to download and read, but I just finished reading the third one tonight. I also recommend reading the series of books starting with Eragon.

Oh yes - and there's a favorite series since I was a kid: Chronicles of Narnia.
    Last edited by falbacca; 2013-01-10 at 04:46 AM. Reason: additional thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon1984 View Post
    HA. Hahahaha. Hahahahahahahahahah. Hahahahahahahahahahahah. Enough h's and a's yet?

Dicky Rahl is one of the worst protagonists in the world, The SoT series reads like a fantasy version of Ayn Rands' wet dream, and the entire overarching message is about shoving down your throat how communism is bad without explaining why, so the Yearded One makes all communists rapists and happy with slavery. Did I mention that a womans importance in the series can be found, without knowing any other facts, only counting how many times and how close she comes to being raped during the series?

The first book was an ok book from a new author that showed promise. Then it went down down down into a burning ring of fire.

Now, here are some well written series that should be in your wheelhouse:

First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The trilogy is done, a dark but pretty 'basic' trilogy that has quite a few surprises. There are also a couple of follow-up stand alone works that you don't have to read unless you want to (which are really good, but still...).
    The Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman. If you liked Dragonlance, then Death Gate should be something you are looking for if you have not read it.
    The Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. A pretty basic fantasy series involving roman legions and taming 'spirits of the land' to help them in their everyday lives. (I would also say again the Dresden Files, but you seem adverse to trying modern fantasy)
    The Black Company by Glen Cook. The first 'dark, gritty' series although he isn't technically done, the series is pretty much split up into sections, so you can just get the Omnibus of the Books of the North and Books of the South. Also the books are written as a journal by one person, so not a whole lot of jumping about.
    Garret P.I. Files also by Glen Cook, are about a Private Investigator set in a fantasy era with dragons, magic, dwarves, and centaurs. Quite entertainingly written and the perspective follows Garret around so you should be good there.
    Gaunts Ghosts of the Black Library (Warhammer 40k). Good military sci-fi series. Action and more action. Not a lot of perspective jumping and the stories are pretty straightforward.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Blizzard wants you to read Mistborn.

Survivor's Bag of Coins

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read & enjoyed some of Laurell K. Hamilton's books. The series I read are mostly from a woman's POV & are really pretty interesting, engaging & fun!

She has a number of different series & stand alone books, but the only ones I've read so far were the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series.

Also, I really enjoyed reading my husband's trove of Timothy Zahn - Star Wars Universe books.

I hope you find something to enjoy!

EDIT~ I thought I should mention that some of her works/books could be considered "erotic", though what I read were not one of the all-the-way-throughout-every-storyline sort of book, just here & there. probably not more love scenes/sex than most, but I felt I should edit my post to reflect the fact that there are some erotic/love scenes! Enjoy! <3
    Last edited by sugarlily; 2013-01-10 at 06:25 AM.

I was in a similar spot a few years ago. I highly recommend China Mieville's work. Not exactly fantasy. Not exactly Sci-Fi. Just weird and brilliant. Start with Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and The Iron Council. Set of 3 books set in New Crobuzon. Should be a breath of fresh air compared to genre fantasy. And I like genre fantasy!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddahpal View Post
    Sword of Truth series is really good imo, really recommend those.
    Agreed, the best series i've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by constantduty View Post
    I was in a similar spot a few years ago. I highly recommend China Mieville's work. Not exactly fantasy. Not exactly Sci-Fi. Just weird and brilliant. Start with Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and The Iron Council. Set of 3 books set in New Crobuzon. Should be a breath of fresh air compared to genre fantasy. And I like genre fantasy!
    Although I really like Mieville's work (Especially The Scar and Kraken), I feel like it might be too complicated for what OP is asking for.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaybuss View Post
    Agreed, the best series i've ever read.
    you need to try reading some other series then. seriously, the writing is terrible, the heroes have no faults whatsoever, the bad guys are evil incarnate who have ZERO redeeming qualities...(yes even bad guys do need to have there GOOD points for them to believeable).

Quote Originally Posted by Buddahpal View Post
    Sword of Truth series is really good imo, really recommend those.
    wasnt that made into a horrible tv series? Legend of the Seeker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Never ask for logic in a game that mails you dragons.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantasir View Post
    wasnt that made into a horrible tv series? Legend of the Seeker?
    yes it was, and to be fair, it wasnt horrible because the books were horrible (though they were, at least past the first 2 books) it was horrible because it DEVIATED from the books so much.

for example in the books: Richard Rahl (Cypher) is Tall (6'5"ish) Muscular (Built like a Linebacker) and despite his big muscular build, he is Incredibly agile, as well as very Intelligent and insightful. whereas in the show hes around 5'10", average build (muscular but not like a linebacker), and gets by more on his wits and the intelligence of otehrs over his own insight and intelligence.