View Poll Results: Do you sign the petition to remove flying mounts?

Voters
1745. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

391 22.41%
  • NO

1,274 73.01%
  • Not sure

80 4.58%
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    no i farmed WAY to long for ashes/ ony drake.

People are already accustomed to it at this point, nor would it make sense that we could fly everywhere else.

Let's look at the two shots in the original post. Left: trees everywhere. Right: trees everywhere. Looks about right for WoW.

But hey, OP, I have another petition for you: let's remove your PvP gear/509 purples. They just made you too powerful against other players. What's that? You earned them and you have the right to keep them? I guess the same goes for my flying mounts. I earned my flying mounts, some of them after months of farming old heroics, or by camping ridiculously rare mobs. Keep your hands off my stuff, and I will keep mine off yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chen Stormstout
    To ask why we fight is to ask why leaves fall. (...)
    Quote Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit
    Gravity? We fight because gravity? Never listen to a philosophy from a panda.

I think it's clear that most people don't want them gone.
    Can we now stop with this "remove flying mounts"-crap forever?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    I think it's clear that most people don't want them gone.
    Can we now stop with this "remove flying mounts"-crap forever?
    Next thread demanding their removal will probably be posted tomorrow. Monday tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Arridor View Post
    Next thread demanding their removal will probably be posted tomorrow. Monday tops.
    You know I still don't understand why people can't you know JUST NOT FLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Unless they gave compensation or a system similar to waypoints like in Guild Wars II.
    I don't know anything about waypoints in GW2, but what you'd have to do in WoW is make sure people can still reach every location players eventually want to reach. The max level quest locations, airships, the whole Cataclysm and the high level WotLK zones. There is so much stuff they have to rework and even if they put in that work, they'll do that basically to worsen the experience of most players.

Waypoints devalue exploration far more than flying mounts do, and are less viscerally interesting.

Absolutely not. If you don't want to fly, don't mount! Simple as that. That anyone might even think this might appeal to the majority of the player base baffles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    Flying around is not exploration, it is sight-seeing. Exploration involves actively traversing a landscape, not gliding over it. And sight-seeing is pretty much what "can't be bothered explorers" do instead of exploring.

Which is the main problem with the game's community in this and similar matters. Most players prefer to be "can't be bothered players", happily going about in their daily and weekly routines... in a game that they are supposed to play to get excited. But excitement it seems is not desired anymore. Playing World of Facebook is good enough for them.

As for the matter itself, especially with the developers doing an almost 180-turn on the matter, it is quite clear what is best for the game in my opinion. Flying almost anywhere is bad for the game. It makes the concept of a coherent world obsolete. Flying around is like looking at the ground from the window of an airplane. The interaction is next to non-existent. What is more, it diminishes the value of almost anything in the world the developers create. Enemy towns get tranformed to drop-points, villains to dots on the map, and so on. Which is why in Mists flying was taken away initially. It just ruins most of everything. And if the developers had more guts, they would have removed it completely in Pandaria. But even the partial removal is a nice first step, and an admittance that widespread flying is a mistake.

I am not all for the removal of flying. I think it can be an awesome feature in the game, if handled properly. For instance being able to fly in certain (few) zones, specifically designed with flying in mind. But other than that, yes, it should be removed, so that players can stop being lazy, and the design of the game to gain a more exploratory, actual world feel. And no Relic Hunter is not exploration, I have the title and almost all items, it is just dumb luck.
    Sorry but this is semantics, sightseeing is a type of exploration, when i went to sight see in akihabara i decided not to use the subway and instead try to make it from daimon to akihabara, i ended up by the imperial palace before i broke down and took the sub way since i was sore from walking all morning.

When i found those serect areas i went out and sought out more, i found the rare chimera in feralas and i remember how awesome it was to take my time to fly and explore.

The treasure hunting you seem to have in kind is archeology, which we have and i am one of the few who enjoys it. Flying enchance your playing, if you dont feel it add more options for fun enchancement then seek other ways to have fun without taking the option away from others. Now i feel more of the outland anti air things should be added back along with more rares like the dragon in vale, the sky is the limit and there is a lot of room for things to fly.
    Last edited by Stasso; 2013-01-06 at 12:26 AM.

A petition by a class capable of stealth... no thanks, had enough of that back in the day when 60 was the max.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    You know I still don't understand why people can't you know JUST NOT FLY.
    "Must get to Domination Point... right now. Must do my dailies... so mandatory... I don't want to... but I must..."
    *flies on <Ashes/insert another super rare e-peen mount>*
    "I hate myself..."

This thread is terrible, full of argumentum ad populam and stawmanning of those who don't consent as people who hate the playing in a vibrant game world.

The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    This thread is terrible, full of argumentum ad populam and stawmanning of those who don't consent as people who hate the playing in a vibrant game world.

That wasn't a very good rebuttal. I'm no pro but talking about logical fallacies doesn't just help.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

The game is better without them, but they could not remove them now.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post

Looks like you're out of luck though doesn't it buddy! Blizzard are in fact developing for their audience and aren't going to remove a feature 75% of their audience love no matter how much you swear at them.

Though with persuasive skills like that, who could think why?

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    While removing flying would be the best thing for the game overall, I recognise that there's almost no way to remove them without damaging the game and community. The convenience is too great, and the emotional attachment too high at this point.

The truth is that flying mounts are a parasite on the game, burrowed too deep to simply be removed without killing the host. So Blizzard do what they can to contain it: they remove flying mounts from us for as long as they are able. With every new expansion we lose the ability to fly for as long as possible, and even in the single expansion which did have flying for the levelling content, we still lost them in the two areas Blizzard expected us to spend the majority of our level capped time in (Tol Barad and the Molten Front).

Flying mounts are terrible. Awful. One of the worst design decisions Blizzard could ever have made. And yet, they cannot be removed. A real shame, because we are missing out on so much due to their existence. So sorry, this petition won't work, nor would I want it to. If this petition somehow forced Blizzard to remove flying mounts, then they'd do it before they were ready to make the change. It would severely harm the game.

Maybe Blizzard have a solution waiting in the wings. I hope that maybe one day we can lose our flying mounts entirely. The game can only be improved if it happened in the right way.

If flying mounts were that bad people would not use them and the truth is they are very nice to have(FP's that wander all over the country is what should be removed or at least be made point to point). If you want to see your surroundings use a ground mount or walk. I bet your using a flying mount at this moment even.

Would I want to run around over the whole of Azeroth? No...
    Would I not want to help my guildie that need help with a rare in the middle of no where? Well of course I want to help, without a flying mount tho, it would take a freaking long time to do so.
    Would I really want to see WoW go back to Vanilla? No thanks, I was there, I saw when they added flight points into small towns in the Barrens and other places, it was amazing to see that it wouldn't take me 10 mins to walk to my quest anymore, then 10 mins to walk back again lol! Getting rid of flying mounts would be the same, imagine having to try and do the Pandarian Dailies on a ground mount, people complain already on how time consuming they are lol!

Waypoints devalue exploration far more than flying mounts do, and are less viscerally interesting.
    Agreed. WPs suck. Constant loading screens Break any immersion whatsoever. One of the big things that put me off GW2.

Ifalna Sha'yoko on Twitter and Armory - Occasionally unfaithful to WoW with my Adorable Miqo'te - (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━ ┻

Pit Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    Do you remember exploring the ancient ruins of the Eastern Kingdoms, or the vast plains of Kalimdor?
    yep sure do, and nothing about the way i explore the world has changed with flying mounts, other than the fact that i can actually explore more of the world

Can you recall the feeling of crossing one of the little rivers of Elwynn on your way to Westfall?
    no i never leveled an alliance toon from 1-60 but unless things have changed you dont get a flying mount until level 60? so low level players are still experiencing whatever rivers you seem to think are important

Remember when trees and mountains looked impressive where they towered far above?
    i dont think the trees in WoW are really that great looking, mountains look alright but considering i have to fly over them i still get to see them. nothing has changed

Remember not having everything beautiful on Azeroth look like low-res miniatures in the distance, while you hover idly far above?
    when im hovering over an area im generally not looking at anything in game as im alt tabbed, if i want to fly and hover idly and look at something in game ill fly and hover close enough so that the graphics aren't fuzzy looking.

Do you think flying mounts should stay or go?
    i think that you have the choice to use your ground mount at any time you want. no one is saying you have to fly everywhere on your flying mount. i however can (well used to) experience all the cool looking shit in the game just as easily from my flying mount as i can from my ground mount, so no i dont think flying mounts should be removed. for me personally there was no damage done to my gameplay experience, back when i played, with the implementation of flying mounts. but to each their own
    Last edited by dokilar; 2013-01-06 at 12:50 AM.