View Poll Results: Do you sign the petition to remove flying mounts?

Voters
1745. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    391 22.41%
  • NO

    1,274 73.01%
  • Not sure

    80 4.58%
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    See, again: The current world is like this because Blizzard are taking flying mounts into account. They are designing the world knowing we will be using our flying mounts. If flying mounts didn't exist, they could design in a very different way, taking your concerns of being bored on your multiple alts into account.
    How? Do tell.

    And I mean technically.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    That's ridiculous. So you want to remove something so that the people who don't want it removes can experience it the way you want to experience it. People are not missing out on something and if people think they are, they choose for themselves to travel by foot.

    That said, I started playing in TBC. I know very well how it was, and while slightly amusing the first time, the times thereafter were just a chore.

    Again, poppycock. It's utter selfishness.
    All you're doing is applying your current knowledge of WoW as it is right now, and taking flying mounts away. That won't work, because current WoW is designed with flying mounts in mind.

    Imagine if it was designed without flying mounts. Imagine what could be implemented if they didn't exist. There would be plenty of changes to the game to accommodate this change.

    There is nothing that flying mounts provide beyond convenience and emotional attachment. Nothing. Yet if they were removed, we'd gain so much more.

  3. #43
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stowmind Keep and Ogrimmar
    Posts
    356
    If you don't want to fly... don't fly?
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

    Praise The Sun!

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    See, again: The current world is like this because Blizzard are taking flying mounts into account. They are designing the world knowing we will be using our flying mounts. If flying mounts didn't exist, they could design in a very different way, taking your concerns of being bored on your multiple alts into account.

    As I said in my first reply, I don't want flying mounts to be removed. It would do more harm than good, if they were just suddenly removed without anything else changed. But the game could be designed so differently and so much more interestingly if flying mounts didn't exist.

    How many other MMOs use flying mounts? You can be certain they all looked at the mistake Blizzard made, laughed at them, then went on to never implement flying mounts. Ever.
    I forget what the MMO was called but, there is one where you can literally use you sword as a flying mount...

    MoP basically nullifies your argument though. It was designed with areas you could only reach through flying and you couldn't fly until max level. This was the case with TBC too.

    Rarely updated...

  5. #45
    Yeah I remember exploring.... when I was a low level...

  6. #46
    Old God apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    10,750
    No, can I make a petition to remove this petition?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  7. #47
    Not this nonsense again

  8. #48
    Mechagnome Proxeneta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Far north of everything
    Posts
    707
    Wish flying mounts had never been introduced, so I'm onboard. Won't mean anything though, there far too many people that started after BC/WOTLK compared to Vanilla.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    How? Do tell.

    And I mean technically.
    So when you're playing an alt, you just want to get from quest hub A to quest hub B, do the new quests, then move on to quest hub C. Right? Well here's one change then: alts know all flight paths straight away. You can then use the taxis to go from one quest hub to another, but whilst actually questing you won't have a flying mount. When actually exploring, you can't just fly straight to your goal and avoid all the danger. But you still get the convenience of quick travel between quest hubs, which is the main use of a flying mount for an alt.

    I say alts, because the main obviously wouldn't get the flight paths learnt automatically. Or hey, there's the idea: make flight paths account wide. One character learns them, then all characters on that account know the flight paths.

    That's a very simple change I thought of within a minute, but I'm sure there's more you can do to accommodate a flightless world.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    Very interesting points. This is basically how I feel.

    I realize the removal of flying would cause immense problems unless done right and with great care. It would require tremendous efforts, like the transition from left to right traffic. But in the end, it would save development time and make the world a much more interesting place.

    I feel as if though people have forgotten the 'world' bit in World of Warcraft, and nowadays only see the game as a platform for their raiding, socializing, or PvPing. While all of those are vital components of the game, they aren't fun in my opinion if they aren't presented through an interesting world. Flying above it doesn't let the world feel real or immersive, and not flying isn't really an option. It's like offering someone to walk from London to Oxford while the others take the bus. One COULD walk all the way there on principle alone, but it would feel stupid and infective when there was a bus.

    This is also why they removed the Nephalem's Cube or whatever it was called in Diablo 3. It allowed people to sell loot without even going into town. But in the end, they realized that the necessary evils really are necessary in order for the game to feel a bit alive and not just be a spreadsheet.

    Again, recycled arguments. "Because conveniences are there, not choosing them is no option.". It's just untrue, and it doesn't even barely support the argument.



    These are arguments used against several things that Blizzard has implemented in WoW over the course of every expac. In short, these arguments have existed since early vanilla and they've never been more than hyperbole or fallacies since day one and I'm getting progressively more sick of seeing them in threads like these. (similiar threads being "REMOVE LFR" or "REMOVE LFD")


    Also, I'm a roleplayer, which requires immersion. You really can't tell me that just because I don't think flying mounts are a bad thing, I've forgotten the 'world' bit in World of Warcraft.

    Conveniences are there to stay. If your self-control is so sloppy that you can't prioritize your so-proclaimed 'fun' and 'excitement' over the convenient or easy way, that's your problem; not mine, not LFR Petey, not Flying Mount Ficaro or anyone else's problem.

    Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I forget what the MMO was called but, there is one where you can literally use you sword as a flying mount...

    MoP basically nullifies your argument though. It was designed with areas you could only reach through flying and you couldn't fly until max level. This was the case with TBC too.
    ...No, that strengthens my argument if you paid attention.

    The current world is designed with flying mounts in mind, yes. Of course. There are currently places only accessible via flying. But those are easily rectified: make a teleporter than takes you to the necessary place, or do what the Shieldwall dailies do and give you a taxi service with an NPC. Something like that.

    However, with the world being designed with flying mounts in mind, we're losing so much more. Atmosphere, mystery, danger, etc. Anything a flying mount provides can also be provided by a taxi, or some other technical design choice. However, the simple existence of flying mounts means we miss out on so much that makes (or should make) an MMORPG what it is. A massive world to explore, inhabited by people to interact with. Not flying over everything and ignoring everyone else.

  12. #52
    Elemental Lord Nindoriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    8,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    All you're doing is applying your current knowledge of WoW as it is right now, and taking flying mounts away. That won't work, because current WoW is designed with flying mounts in mind.

    Imagine if it was designed without flying mounts. Imagine what could be implemented if they didn't exist. There would be plenty of changes to the game to accommodate this change.

    There is nothing that flying mounts provide beyond convenience and emotional attachment. Nothing. Yet if they were removed, we'd gain so much more.
    Right. Current WoW is designed with flying mounts in mind. Do you have some version of WoW available that works without flying mounts?

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    So when you're playing an alt, you just want to get from quest hub A to quest hub B, do the new quests, then move on to quest hub C. Right? Well here's one change then: alts know all flight paths straight away. You can then use the taxis to go from one quest hub to another, but whilst actually questing you won't have a flying mount. When actually exploring, you can't just fly straight to your goal and avoid all the danger. But you still get the convenience of quick travel between quest hubs, which is the main use of a flying mount for an alt.

    I say alts, because the main obviously wouldn't get the flight paths learnt automatically. Or hey, there's the idea: make flight paths account wide. One character learns them, then all characters on that account know the flight paths.

    That's a very simple change I thought of within a minute, but I'm sure there's more you can do to accommodate a flightless world.
    I'm missing the "mystery and exploration" part of your idea. Or the idea of leveling organization, reason why the streamlined Azeroth also.

  14. #54
    You have no idea how many people had wanted flying in Azeroth for years. When the trailer was released live for Cataclysm and it said 'flying in Azeroth', it actually got a loud cheer. Now that's not exactly much to go on, but I do know that I had seen many threads over the years of people wanting to be able to fly. And people say Blizzard never listens to us. Yeesh. lol. Keep it as is. The game has changed far too much over the years. The simplicity of the game ended after BC. Now people expect crazy features and convenience more than ever before.

  15. #55
    Epic! Issalice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Area 52 US
    Posts
    1,701
    No way! Those that want to fly, let them fly. Those that don't, use your ground mounts. I don't see why flying mounts should be removed just because some people don't like them. There is a choice, use them or don't.

  16. #56
    I am Murloc! Fenixdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,877
    Even this small of a sample size has to tell you that the majority has spoken. Nobody cares that you don't want to fly. The rest of us want to. If you don't want to fly, park your ass on the ground yourself and walk. We're not stopping you.

  17. #57
    Don't use your mount if it hurts you so much. I never saw the need in my life, including 30 years as a freelance programmer working all over England, to ever drive a car, but I never wanted to stop other people driving if that is what they wanted to throw their money at

    Also it is a game not a religion where you worship the designers work
    Last edited by Saffa; 2013-01-05 at 08:44 PM.

  18. #58
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,377
    I've seen enough of the world while leveling up. It's only impressive the first few times you see it. Stop trying to force the scenic route on us.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    Again, recycled arguments. "Because conveniences are there, not choosing them is no option.". It's just untrue, and it doesn't even barely support the argument.

    These are arguments used against several things that Blizzard has implemented in WoW over the course of every expac. In short, these arguments have existed since early vanilla and they've never been more than hyperbole or fallacies since day one and I'm getting progressively more sick of seeing them in threads like these. (similiar threads being "REMOVE LFR" or "REMOVE LFD")


    Also, I'm a roleplayer, which requires immersion. You really can't tell me that just because I don't think flying mounts are a bad thing, I've forgotten the 'world' bit in World of Warcraft.

    Conveniences are there to stay. If your self-control is so sloppy that you can't prioritize your so-proclaimed 'fun' and 'excitement' over the convenient or easy way, that's your problem; not mine, not LFR Petey, not Flying Mount Ficaro or anyone else's problem.
    So instead of actually providing content for your argument, you're instead trying to devalue our arguments by comparing us to another unpopular opinion that we may not even share. I know I support LFR and LFD, but that's something else entirely. They aren't just about convenience, they actually help a lot of people experience much more of the game that would otherwise be locked away from them entirely.

    Flying mounts are nothing like that. If LFR and LFD didn't exist, the numbers of people raiding/doing dungeons would plummet, because the entry requirements for normal (and especially heroic) raids are far beyond what the majority of the WoW playerbase can reasonably achieve. If Flying mounts didn't exist, we'd all take a little bit longer to get anywhere. Oh noes. But what we gain instead vastly outweighs that con.

  20. #60
    The current system has you landbound while levelling when it is important, you get all the atmosphere and mystery already.
    Once you reach the level cap you are able to fly, and suddenly the world opens up. Pandaria is massive on the ground and fairly compact from the air, combining convenience and stunning visual design.

    I experienced no lack of mystery and atmosphere with this expansion and have absolutely no complaints. I would be very annoyed if Flying Mounts were removed once they had already perfected the system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •