Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    12,529
    Here's my take.....

    Term limit for Presidents ought to be lifted. It's more positive than negative. No horrible President would survive past 2 terms.
    What's needed would be at least a third political force. President should be appointed by the majority of the Congress, and not elected separately.
    The performance of any given President can only be as good as the decision power of the party he belongs to is.
    We are going through exactly such times at the moment. The power isn't there, for the President to back his decisions. No matter how good they would be, the opposing side shuts him down. If that power doesn't shift to either side, the next President will have the very same problem to deal with. No matter from what Party he/she comes.
    As it is, the country basically cannot be governed.
    Theoretically the President could step down, or re-elections could be called out. Other countries can and do resort to such measures, because they do have more than 2 political forces and within their congress the abilities for new coalitions and majority building is possible.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-06 at 11:24 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Term limits are good, but I'd like to see the presidential term extended to 6 years. Also, I'd like to see congressional term limits with longer terms too, so that congressmen don't have to spend 2/3 of their time fundraising for the next campaign.
    That's a big problem and very true words...

    Current situation for Presidents..
    Year 1. Getting into the loop. Picking up where the old guy left off.
    Year 2. Getting things started and moving... Being productive. But with caution, we have state level elections too...
    Year 3. Working on things from year 2, with even more caution, the next term is nearing.. and fund raising for just that..
    Year 4: 2/3 of the year are dominated by campaigning...

    Basically, no 1 term President can ever be effective at all.
    Only 2 term Presidents can go all out.... of course again.... with some limitations regarding re-election of their party next time around,

  2. #142
    They should make handheld nuclear weapons legal to own and sell, and then make murder legal for a couple of years.

    Because that is just as silly as the rest of this debate.

  3. #143
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    12,529
    Quote Originally Posted by TreezusSaves View Post
    They should make handheld nuclear weapons legal to own and sell, and then make murder legal for a couple of years.

    Because that is just as silly as the rest of this debate.
    And why would that be silly? The current handling is rather a custom. And only because a former President refused to take up a third term, all others (for the most part) followed suit out of respect for his persona.

  4. #144
    no....i dont want obama any longer than alrdy have to deal with him.

  5. #145
    Comically this is a waste of time. There is zero chance of it ever passing. The states would have to ratify it and that is not happening, especially with Obama in office.

  6. #146
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    12,529
    Quote Originally Posted by caffeiine View Post
    no....i dont want obama any longer than alrdy have to deal with him.
    Alright.. Name ONE thing where you "have to deal with him", because it's so negative, yet at the same time it is not influenced by the other parties interferences?
    That doesn't exist. Even Obamacare is not what HE initially wanted. It was changed and altered through republican interference and objection until it became basically the same thing as Romneycare in Mas...

  7. #147
    hell yeah it should be removed. 20 more years of Obama please <3

  8. #148
    You'd have to do more than just remove term limits. As long as there are people that will vote for the Republican candidate because he's not the Democrat, and vice versa, things could get awkward. If you had the chance to vote for multiple candidates from each party it's less of an issue. In other words eliminate the primaries and just let everyone run for president right off the bat. If you were lucky you'd get a shorter election period, less money spent on organising it all and maybe even breaking the two-party system as factions form behind preferred candidates and eventually break away on their own.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by The High Druid View Post
    You'd have to do more than just remove term limits. As long as there are people that will vote for the Republican candidate because he's not the Democrat, and vice versa, things could get awkward. If you had the chance to vote for multiple candidates from each party it's less of an issue. In other words eliminate the primaries and just let everyone run for president right off the bat. If you were lucky you'd get a shorter election period, less money spent on organising it all and maybe even breaking the two-party system as factions form behind preferred candidates and eventually break away on their own.
    If they are garbage for two terms there is 0% chance they will win a third term. Any major candidate can guarantee 30% of the vote just because of his party label. The extremists will always either vote for their candidate, or not vote at all. Then they have to woo the 15% of the party thats much more moderate, and then they have to woo the 6-10% of the people in the middle who have no party affiliation to guarantee a win. If a president is shitty they won't get the moderate vote ,and its likely they will lose the votes from the more moderate side of their party.

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    I'm not even talking about the legitimacy of Russia's vote count, that's a completely different topic. My comment was in reference to a president being elected for more than two terms.
    It's not really a problem. It actually helps in the Russian case (russian myself) because we dont simply any other real candidates other then Putin and his team in country-scale view. There are some people who are qualified enough to work as a governor and are not part of Putin's team and his party, some already work, but none of them are qualified enough to run for president or create there own political power. Current parties resort to populism and radical things/riots. Basically everyone keeps saying what Putin does wrong but cant submit any reliable solutions to anything. Plus everyone who has a slightest chance of becoming a president already works with Putin or his party in some way.

    On topic: In case of a huge economic and political power like US it should be a middleground between not allowing one political power to have control over executive power in the country long enough to use it against it's opponents and providing enough time for a person that runs for the office to fulfil his political agenda. There should definetely be a limit to how much times a person can run for office consecutively and depending on political landscape in the country (some countries have some active internal political struggle and elections pose significant risks for economy, provided they are too frequent) it should be 3 times for 3-4 years.

  11. #151
    If you ask me politicans shoulden't be inn a larger party almost. They should be hand-picked, voted one by one. Whoever is fit most for the job yes`?

    I mean, it could work right...:P
    One reason for WoW decline I often hear is that its an old game and naturally people get bored with it. But TV is much older and people still watch that. Surely if a thing you once enjoyed keept staying fun, you would still use it?

  12. #152
    Poor Swazi Spring, his new thread just got closed like his previous attempts.
    Obama is a communist, Democrats are satan, liberals kills the nation *RAWR*
    Quote Originally Posted by TooMuch View Post
    Like said before, I am in Boston this week and if you are the big man you claim to be, come visit me. I'll PM you the hotel and room number. Let's see if you are such a hero in real life too, like you claim to be.

  13. #153
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Hotlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I doubt very much that the possibility of foul play was large enough to account for the absolutely massive disparity between Putin and the next highest candidate in 2012.
    Yea right, watch and see if this passes if Obama doesn't win in 2016 with something ridiculous like 95% of the vote Ahmadinejad style. He has a media who worships him, an entire generation of young people who think he's a god because MTV and Hollywood is so in love with him...he'd get away with it, don't doubt it for a second.
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2013-01-07 at 09:51 PM.

  14. #154
    Over 9000! Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    9,939
    It being Obama in office, Mitt Romney or Satan himself shouldn't matter. If the majority of your country think someone is a good enough leader to lead for 12 years then they should.

    Saying stuff like "more Obama no thanks" is incredibly short sighted. If a great republican leader was in office and was the best president the USA has ever seen... winning a vote of 90% of American on his second term, you are saying you wouldn't want him to be able to run for longer? 0o

    Your whole democrat vs republican, democrats are communists that hate American, republicans are god fearing crazy people just makes your country weaker and both sides in presidential elections look like a group of school kids arguing to the rest of the world.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-07 at 09:56 PM.

  15. #155
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,206
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Yea right, watch and see if this passes if Obama doesn't win in 2016 with something ridiculous like 95% of the vote Ahmadinejad style. He has a media who worships him, an entire generation of young people who think he's a god because MTV and Hollywood is so in love with him...he'd get away with it, don't doubt it for a second.
    I really doubt it. You're forgetting the other half of the nation that didn't vote for him.

  16. #156
    Well as naive as this may sound the real question is if you trully have a functioning democracy.

    If you do, limits like this are pointless since noone will force you to elect for a 3rd + term a president thats not good enough.
    If you dont ....well you have more serious shit to fix before this discussion even happens.

    In my opinion , for what ever it counts since im not american, the choise of whoever leads should be ONLY on the people and never be regulated in any way and by any measure by a law, ammendment etc.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrose View Post
    A thousand times to no to this. No other country in the world would want someone from another country running theirs. I guarantee it.
    So then why would the majority vote for it?

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukki View Post
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...s/d113HR.lst::


    http://www.examiner.com/article/pres...es-term-limits

    If this gets past Congress, I don't imagine a majorly Democratic Senate would block this. I don't even know what to say.
    they have tried this every year since the end of Reagans 2nd term...you see how well its worked out.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-07 at 05:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Here's my take.....

    Term limit for Presidents ought to be lifted. It's more positive than negative. No horrible President would survive past 2 terms.
    See FDR


    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Only 2 term Presidents can go all out.... of course again.... with some limitations regarding re-election of their party next time around,
    2 term presidents will go all out BECAUSE they do not have to worry about re-election. You really think they care about "their party"?

    for the people who thought Obamas first 4 were bad, just wait to see what the next 4 bring.


    Term limits is what keeps presidents from becoming dictators. That and the fact politicians are not suppose to be career positions.

  19. #159
    You guys see how fast US presidents age while in office?

    The stress will kill em before the 3rd term is up

  20. #160
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    599
    no they shouldn't...this is actually one of the rare things I think is great about america's politics !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •