Poll: do you believe in aliens?

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinz View Post
    I think they discovered life
    It doesn't matter what you personally think, NASA hasn't announced that they have discovered life, end of argument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, aliens exist. They haven't visited us though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely - but I don't believe we will ever encounter other life unless it comes to earth again in an asteroid.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    The other day the news mentioned an estimate of 100 billion planets just in our galaxy alone. So I guess the chances of aliens seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    Oh I enjoyed this.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I do believe in them maybe not as smart as many think with super technology but still living creatures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arynzerr View Post
    everybody who does not is completely irrational.
    Agreed. Thinking rationally, you'd realise just how many planets there must be and realise that, if ours does, there must be others that do.

Looking at some of the responses of people who I presume voted no, they didn't quite understand the question, as they've said there's probably life somewhere, but then gone on to say no because we're very unlikely to meet any.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Taiknee View Post
    Definitely - but I don't believe we will ever encounter other life unless it comes to earth again in an asteroid.
    Planet somewhere far away with life on it explodes until eventually a thousand year old asteroid reaches us with bacterial traces?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinz View Post
    You my good sir are very very wrong, they did go to mars to fin life with the Titan rover and if you go to my post about it and Europa a few pages back you will find more info I do not care to type again. It is a controversial issue and I understand why you think they did not find life but if only microbes react in the mineral bath and it reacted with Martian soil I think they discovered life, not intelligent life but life none the less.
    I realize that you probably mean well, and I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying this: what you've typed about Mars exploration is riddled with errors to the point that it's probably pointless for anyone to offer corrections. It's that jumbled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Some form of alien life (bacteria or similar) - yes probably, universe is a big place.

Multi cellular aliens (plants, animals) - no but I wouldn't be too surprised if they exist, it's possible

Intelligent aliens capable of reason and building even stone tool - no! Universe is too small and far too young for that. Maybe only if parallel realities and multiverse etc. exists.
    How could you claim the universe is too small and too young? We've managed to do it on Earth, what's to say that, out of the billions of other planets (many of which being older than ours) none of the others have managed it?

Deleted
    Lets put it this way.

We are made of some of the most abundant elements in a gigantic universe.
    Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of the six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus

In fact, lets not even mention the number right now. Because very few is able to visualize the scale anyway.

To think that we are the only "intelligent" life form is a bit naive in my eyes. To be honest im pretty sure we are far dumber than most people realize, and this will be our downfall. Humans aren't that special, and im certain that there is smarter life forms out there.

However, i don't think we would ever encounter another intelligent civilisation.
    Why? Simply because if they are smart and advanced enough to travel the vast distances needed to get here, multidimensional travel or faster than lightspeed travel without affecting time they probably wouldn't be interested at all in us.

Besides, we could just be the imagination of an endless potential creating experience?
    Dumbed down : God made everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Sure, aliens exist. They haven't visited us though.
    Oh wow, where did you hear this? Is there some scientist that finally has seen proof?
    I would like to see the source link?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Did...did you just call the universe "too small?"
    I don't think people truly comprehend how large the known universe is.

Our sun, for example, is an average sized star and it is 99.9% of the solar system's mass. It's nearest neighbor is 4 light years away and it sits in a galaxy with 100 billion other stars, some thousands of times larger, some thousands of times smaller, than our Sun.

Our galaxy is one of billions. There are therefore more stars than there are grains of sand in all the beaches in the world. As I said earlier, it is not a number we can comprehend. Our universe is MASSIVE, to the point where it is, for human purposes, infinite.

If each star is a grain of sand at a beach, we are smaller than the smallest subatomic particles.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    People can't even comprehend the scale of the damn milky way and still some people say there is no other life in the _whole universe_.

Our solar system is part of the Milky Way galaxy, we are in one of the side arms called Orion Spur. This galaxy, our milky way contains 200 billion stars. If we assume there is only one planet orbiting each of this 200 billion stars, there are 200 fuckin billion stars alone in our galaxy. Of course if you look at our solar system, we have more then 1 planet orbiting the sun.

If you think we are the only one out there, you are delusional.

http://www.universetoday.com/16222/s...laxy-universe/ If you ask for the source, Nasa it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilop View Post
    To think that we are the only "intelligent" life form is a bit naive in my eyes. To be honest im pretty sure we are far dumber than most people realize, and this will be our downfall. Humans aren't that special, and im certain that there is smarter life forms out there.
    I already made my point on how I believe life to be a rare occurrence, let me just say that "intelligent" life in my opinion is indeed rare enough to be comparable with the size of the universe.

Why am I saying that?

For any form of life to be complex enough it must have evolved through natural selection, thinking of intelligence as the pinnacle of evolution (as many people do) is fallacious, evolution has no end goal and "enough evolution" is not guaranteed of producing intelligence.
    Are humans special? Quite the contrary, intelligence doesn't make use "more evolved", and it is in my opinion is just a bizarre "incident", which eventually proved successful for us (and just by sheer luck, it is estimated that at some point in history the newborn homo sapiens was reduced to 10000 units).
    In theory it is entirely possible to find a planet with a dominant species which is just fucking strong instead of intelligent.
    Last edited by capitano666; 2013-01-09 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Deleted
    I believe that there is an advanced Alien race on the super earth that Nasa just discovered, they have superior strength compared to Humans due to the size of their planet (but we'd only see that increase if they came to earth). They have built several coutry sized space stations which orbit their planet and are currently harvesting helium3 from dead planets close to their orbit.

Their anatomy is similar to humans apart from the absence of visible eyes or mouths, they navigate through highly sensitive hearing that works like sonar with images updating every 0.01 seconds. They eat via absorbing nutrients from the air around them and communicate by telepathic means.

The reason Nasa can not see any presence of life is because they have developed technology that cloaks themselves from our view. Yes they know we are watching but they just don't want to talk to us, they've been put off by our stubborn belief that we are the only living beings in the Universe

.....heh

Another theory is that Star Wars was not that long ago and was not in a galaxy far far away but the republic has decided not to make itself known to us due to the same reasons above, either that or we are just too young a race to bother with.

That was fun

Yes, definitely. I'll admit it, quite frankly no counter argument could possibly change my mind. It's just so obvious to me.

Given that the most recent studies think there's something like 17,000,000,000 planets in the Milky Way Galaxy alone, the probability that life ONLY exists on Terra is pretty much 0. I forget the name of the equation but it pretty much says the odds are far greater for life to be prevalent in the universe, rather than rare.
    ☭Politics Understander and Haver of Good Takes☭Posting Is A Human Right☭
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    If I was in his boots (and forced to join the SS in 1939 or whenever he joined), I would have tried to liberate the camp myself or die trying. He did not. He traded his life for the life of thousands of people, thus he should face the consequences
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestiality View Post
    Given that the most recent studies think there's something like 17,000,000,000 planets in the Milky Way Galaxy alone, the probability that life ONLY exists on Terra is pretty much 0. I forget the name of the equation but it pretty much says the odds are far greater for life to be prevalent in the universe, rather than rare.

That number, 17 billion planets is way, way off... As far as we can tell there are approx. 200 billion stars in the Milky Way. Each Star could have multiple planets around it, each planet could have multiple moons. I'd be shocked if there were less than 1 trillion planets/moons in the milky way alone, let alone the Universe where there are more galaxies than grains of sand on all the beaches of earth.

The 17 billion planets you got was likely from a new guess at how many planets there are in the Milky Way that were roughly earth sized, rocky and in the habitable zone of their parent star.

Look at it this way, The one star system we can readily observe has 8 planets, 4 dwarf planets, and 174 moons orbiting those planets. That's over 180 celestial bodies orbiting ONE star.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    That number, 17 billion planets is way, way off... As far as we can tell there are approx. 200 billion stars in the Milky Way. Each Star could have multiple planets around it, each planet could have multiple moons. I'd be shocked if there were less than 1 trillion planets/moons in the milky way alone, let alone the Universe where there are more galaxies than grains of sand on all the beaches of earth.

The 17 billion planets you got was likely from a new guess at how many planets there are in the Milky Way that were roughly earth sized, rocky and in the habitable zone of their parent star.

Look at it this way, The one star system we can readily observe has 8 planets, 4 dwarf planets, and 174 moons orbiting those planets. That's over 180 celestial bodies orbiting ONE star.
    80% of the galaxy is totally inhospitable, too violent for life to develop, there are no Aliens out there it's just us, where are they? There's been plenty of time for them to visit us and they haven't, never have and never will.

Stop dreaming people WE ARE ALONE! Now go back and watch some Star trek if you want to see some lol.

Deleted

lol