Poll: Would you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskz View Post
    I'd go back in time and kill Jesus, saving thousands of lives in the process.
    ...or kill hundreds of millions when you take away a religion that once united the western nations - at least on some levels - over a very vulnerable period in history against barbarians, muslims, mongols and so on, until they grew strong enough to create the basis for the modern society and its values, arts and sciences. Without christianity's effect we might be like Afghanistan or some other shithole.

You'd probably be better off sáving Jesus, in that case.

No, simply because i would never go back in time to begin with. If i saved a person in the past, there would never be a reason to go back and save them in the first place, since i already saved them, which i did not since i never saved them. Eternal paradox that will never be solved.

Seriously? Have none of these people saying that you could not go back because there would then be no reason to go back ever considered giving themselves a note in the past explaining what was going on, so when the time came the loop would continue as it should before changing other things?

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming no paradox because i dont think thats what the OP was about so the paradox debate is silly, there are 3 people I would save, because all the people close to me have died of old age with a full life.

Lincoln (The South might not have turned so rabidly against blacks again for so long after the Radicals punished them harshly)
    Steve Irwin ( brought attention to animal conservation, and father to 2 young children)
    Captain Phil Harris (has no major impact on anyone but his 2 sons, one of which could dearly use his father's presense to battle his drug addiction so this is more of an indulgence as Im a huge fan of deadliest Catch)

Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    Seriously? Have none of these people saying that you could not go back because there would then be no reason to go back ever considered giving themselves a note in the past explaining what was going on, so when the time came the loop would continue as it should before changing other things?
    A note would not change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Depends on how long ago it was.... if it was 20 years ago, then no. If it was last night and someone I really cared for - then definitely yes.
    Basically this. Saving someone's life when they died a while back could seriously fuck shit up/change things, so I'd only ever do it if they died extremely recently, like the previous night - but even then I'd be reluctant. You just don't know what it'd change.

Say you save their life and they then turn out to be a dreadful person and do dreadful things? Or they are involved in something which negatively affects a lot of people? Obviously, this would probably be pretty unlikely, but it's still a possibility. Or the two of you might go off on your honeymoon and you both die in a car crash there. Anything could happen.

Imagine, for example, that someone went back and killed Hitler before he got a chance to do all the terrible things he did - you'd think that would be a good idea, but things would be ludicrously different and may, in fact, end up being worse (for reasons that are too long-winded to discuss here - there's quite a good wikipedia article on the exact subject however if you're interested - "Hitler's murder paradox").

As a general rule, it's better not to mess with time, regardless of how good-natured your intentions may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    ...or kill hundreds of millions when you take away a religion that once united the western nations - at least on some levels - over a very vulnerable period in history against barbarians, muslims, mongols and so on, until they grew strong enough to create the basis for the modern society and its values, arts and sciences. Without christianity's effect we might be like Afghanistan or some other shithole.
    Not likely. Without Christianity, Islam wouldn't exist.
    As much as people love to deny it, Islam is, fundamentally, a Christian sect.

15+ Year Old Account
    I really can not think who I would want to save, the only one that comes to mind is George Carlin but he died of natural causes so I don't think he would be a candidate or even want to be brought back.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that Christ Jesus dying is the foundation of Christianty right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    As much as people love to deny it, Islam is, fundamentally, a Christian sect.
    Since they do not acknowledge Jesus as the Christ, the savior, no it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im assuming he meant killing him as a baby before those things could happen...which just horrifys me perasonally.
    Herod already tried that . Didn't work.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-01-07 at 08:18 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    True, but that is when he is an adult, and did all these good deeds and lead a truely good life in addition to his miracle ressurection. Im assuming he meant killing him as a baby before those things could happen...which just horrifys me perasonally. not that it would be Jesus, but the purposeful murder of a baby just seems so much worse...

Not true. That was decided at the Council of Nicea, under emperor Constantine. Christian groups before that date had different opinions on the killing of Jesus of Nazareth, but I assure you that the notion of the Divine Sacrifice was not the only one. Not even the most popular one. Initially, it was seen as a symbol; Jesus sacrificed himself to make a statement, and drive home the point that being nasty was silly and we should all stop sinning. 'He died for our sins,' not to absolve them, but to prevént them.
    Nicea changed quite a lot. Like the total acceptance of the virgin birth, which was not wholly regarded as religious doctrine by all Christian denominations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Not true. That was decided at the Council of Nicea, under emperor Constantine. Christian groups before that date had different opinions on the killing of Jesus of Nazareth, but I assure you that the notion of the Divine Sacrifice was not the only one. Not even the most popular one. Initially, it was seen as a symbol; Jesus sacrificed himself to make a statement, and drive home the point that being nasty was silly and we should all stop sinning. 'He died for our sins,' not to absolve them, but to prevént them.
    Nicea changed quite a lot. Like the total acceptance of the virgin birth, which was not wholly regarded as religious doctrine by all Christian denominations.
    The history of Christianity is a whole lot more fascinating than the actual bible imo. Faith as shaped by man's hands throughout the years, complete with papal corruption and scandal!

Deleted
    I would go and stop Abrahams hand as he was trying to kill Isaac, he would then mistake me for an angel. Later he'd tell people about it and it would lead to all sorts of silly nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I would save Hitler's life.

So we could put him on trial and kill him properly.
    My first thoughts. There's also delicious irony in saving him.

On a more serious note, I guess I'd save Freddie Mercury.

Since they do not acknowledge Jesus as the Christ, the savior, no it is not.

Herod already tried that . Didn't work.
    "most" Muslims follow the teachings of Jesus more than "most" Christians do. They also acknowledge the fact he is the Christ, but they do not believe that he is God. They also do not believe in the Trinity.

@ OP: I would not save anyone. I would rather go slap myself millions of times for all the wrong choices I have made, I guess that would be considered as saving myself though.
    Last edited by Lucifer Morningstar; 2013-01-07 at 08:38 AM.

I'd go back and stop Caesar from being assassinated, just to see how much damage that'd do to the timeline. I'd also do it with a firearm of some sort, or if I could, a helicopter. Break all ​the things!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would not touch time travel with a 10-foot pole.
    The risks of not being able to ever return to my original timeline, and therefore live on one where my existence is not registered on a society-based aspect, would be atrocious.

And even with that risk aside, this world is a dog-eat-dog world where justice is a grotesque masquerade. If you can't fend for yourself, you're not worth saving. If you can, you don't need saving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hitler, because everyone deserves a 2nd chance.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Just off the top of my head, the only person I'd really want to save is Lincoln.

@ the guy who wants to go kill Jesus -> Go further back and take out Abraham, I mean if you are serious about it you might as well take out all three abrahamic religions.