Poll: Which one do you like better?

Thread: Pick a cover

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pick a cover

Pick which one you like better. Also, I can still ask for small alterations to be made if anyone has suggestions. Change of font, little things, change of shapes, whatever.

One:

Two:
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I picked one, the outsides had a HRGiger feel to it, and as he is my favourite artist, went straight for that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would help to know what the book is about, but I prefer two.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    I'd say both are good, but I can't really make a decision without knowing what that is all about. Maybe you could provide a bit of information?

Well I didn't want to say what the story is about, because I don't want your decision to be influenced by that. I know both of the covers fit the theme in their own way, I just want to see which of them catches the eye more for someone passing by.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Well I didn't want to say what the story is about, because I don't want your decision to be influenced by that. I know both of the covers fit the theme in their own way, I just want to see which of them catches the eye more for someone passing by.
    In terms of which one catches the eye more, I'd say one. Personally, though, I prefer the second one.

Deleted
    Well, then I'll have to choose cover number two but the "E" is too much to the left for my taste, it needs to be more to the right in my opinion, because it's not lined with "H", unless that has any meaning or if it's supposed to be like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the first one. Some massive unidentifiable machine hovering over the population suggests the book will be pretty epic and centered around some cataclysmic event. #2 just makes me feel confined. I definitely be more interested in reading #1 over #2

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Two. At first glance, one reminded me of grease in a pan. Bleurgh.
    Besides, I think gazing out through a confined window at the open sky waiting beyond fits in more with the title 'hope'.
    And the mechanical letters. They're cool too.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Without having any idea what the book is about, I'm going to go with 2. One looks like a monster/robot/thing eating the cloud/sky area, and being eaten is pretty antithetical to hope. Two gives a more hopeful feeling - like there's something worth going for just through that window.
    Last edited by Liagala; 2013-01-07 at 09:55 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Th3 f1rst on3 t4st3s b3tt3r!
    Anyway. What is this book about?
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    Two. At first glance, one reminded me of grease in a pan. Bleurgh.
    Besides, I think gazing out through a confined window at the open sky waiting beyond fits in more with the title 'hope'.
    And the mechanical letters. They're cool too.
    This description of the window looking out at the open sky really is what made me choose the second. The first is ok imo, but really, I would be more inclined to pick up the second and at least find out what it is about. The mysterious factor is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    2 just looks better, and as was said by Kerath, it fits better with the name.

The 'E' in #2 needs to be aligned better.

It's sitting uncomfortably close to the 'P', and is off-centre.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowt View Post
    The 'E' in #2 needs to be aligned better.

It's sitting uncomfortably close to the 'P', and is off-centre.
    yep, that's what's itching me on cover two, other than that, it's good. xD

Deleted
    No. 1. The H.R. Giger-ier, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I like the first one. Some massive unidentifiable machine hovering over the population suggests the book will be pretty epic and centered around some cataclysmic event. #2 just makes me feel confined. I definitely be more interested in reading #1 over #2
    Isn't that the point? The book is going to be called "Hope".

The first one is the most pleasent to look at and has the best flow in it. It is also more welcoming. The second one is very odd to read as the human eye doesn't read from up to down but from left to right. Also, the P and E is too close together on the second one, the first one allows for more breathing space if you get what I mean. The first one also has some kind of mysterious feeling to it, while the second one is simply closed for you, the first one teases you and gets you more interested, while at the same time it feels much grander.

Perhaps center the text a little better on the first one though, move the hole and text up to not create such a big empty space above it and have it 100% in focus. Also, fix the drop shadow on the letters to make it feel like more like it goes out for you in the middle, right now the shadow just indicates that the light source comes from the left, which is right for H and O, but try and make P and E have its own drop shadow that goes against the middle, using the reader as the light source.

That's just my feedback, not trying to change the overall feel, but just throwing my suggestions to improve it out there. Don't get me wrong, they both look amazing, but simple adjustments would benefit them.

TL;DR: The First One.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    No. 1. The H.R. Giger-ier, the better.
    Couldnt agree more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the Picture better in #2 but I don't like how you use the port hole as a "O" at all.

The Picture in #1 to me doesn't show any hope at all. You look on the ground and see a grid, what ever it may be buildings, farms, an approaching army. It looks precise, with no flavor, no touch of creativity, only function. Very machine like, and as far away from hope as I could imagine. The edges feel like you are being closed in on, which would work if there was something in the center to hold onto, to reach for. But the center is just more of the same, offering no hope(other then the actual word floating there).

#2 makes me think that there is a little window of chance that there is a world outside of a metal prison. It makes me feel like there is Hope, when you look outside and see the natural light. Or reverse that and it shows that there is hope to be had inside of this Protetive metal shell from a world plagued be destruction.

As for the title on #2 I think if you used the same, relief effect as #1 and but HOPE horizontal below the port hole it would look great.