Thread: WoW with HDR

Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

WoW with HDR

Hey all.
    A few nights ago, i discovered something that, while i wasn't looking for it at the time, it was something i'd wanted for a long time. That would be HDR, aka High Dynamic Range, lighting.

Here's the post from my blog;
    You might remember a few nights ago, i mentioned a HDR mod for WoW.
    Well, i'm proud to announce i found a host for the file, so without further ado, here you go;

World of Warcraft - HDR Mod Download

The values in it's config are designed specifically for WoW, and give a bloom HDR styling to everything. There's little to no performance loss, and it's perfectly safe to use (at least as far as my testing has found).

This mod is based on the freeware ENBSeries DLL. I merely tuned the values in it to work well with WoW.

I want to eventually get the Depth of Field working. I've seen it done in WoW in a video, but i can't seem to get it working myself. I'll keep trying regardless.

I've got one for Modern Warfare too, but that still needs some tuning with regards to color correction.

While i said it's safe, i take no liability if it blows up your computer, puts beer in your fish tank, sleeps with your partner, steals your car, or just generally does something it shouldn't. I'm merely providing it in the ideal it won't do anything it shouldn't, while at the same time providing an enhancement to WoW.
    For those that don't know, HDR Lighting is the effect of light that's "too bright" for your monitor. A real life example; if you hold up a thin object to bright sunlight (such as a piece of string), the light seems to curve around it.

Additionally, shadowed areas are much darker with HDR.

While World of Warcraft support very limited and basic Bloom lighting (go to the Wetlands while the sun is setting), this mod enables the shader effects that the game is able to support, but Blizzard chose not to (either due to technical limitation, or because they just don't want to).

The download contains the dll file, a config file, and a readme file. The DLL file (d3d9.dll) is actually a modified Direct3D file. I believe that games that use the D3D API are designed to take advantage of a d3d9.dll file if it's present in the games folder instead of the one in the Windows directory. This DLL simply takes advantage of that, and enables bloom effects (amongst other effects) in any game that doesn't have native support for it.

The config was edited by me to work with WoW, but you're free to tune it as you see fit. I've tried to make it look realistic, but at the same time, without hitting performance. I believe i achieved it, but being i've only got one computer system, i'm unable to test with every possible config.

Like i said in the quote/my blog, this mod is based on the ENBSeries DLL. I've merely adapted the config for World of Warcraft.

Here's a [HD] video link demonstrating the mod in action;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NMsGOMSU4&hd=1

Download link;
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yggmyjnx0nu

EDIT;
    Troubleshooting;
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/interfac...45/#msg1841845
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/interfac...61/#msg1841761

Enjoy,
    Chron.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Re: WoW with HDR

holy.

fucking.

shit.

Nice. Installed it, looks interesting. How can i enable/disable it on the fly? I'd like to see the differences in game.

edit: Never mind, I read the readme in a bit more detail! shift+f12

Quote Originally Posted by Ylera
    Nice. Installed it, looks interesting. How can i enable/disable it on the fly? I'd like to see the differences in game.
    Read the readme ("usage" section) =P

For reference though, shift + f12.

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Read the readme ("usage" section) =P

For reference though, shift + f12.
    Yeah, I scanned over it too quickly.

Nagrand is even more vibrantly colourful than usual now.

Wow, Chron! This is pretty damn sweet! Downloading now to give it a try.

I'm very, very impressed

Edit: LOL it's so bright I can't read my quest log

Hmm I get an error while starting WoW, im playing windowed. I see it works though, as it crashes on the login screen, but it was way brighter

Doesnt work for me either. It says: Failed to find a suitable display device. Exiting program.

Very nice, and you say there was little to no performance issues?

Thanks, i'll keep this in mind, it certainly looks brighter and nicer than usual. While im usually against the whole "blooming it up" tactic that gaming companies have been using for nearly all their games lately, it's nice seeing a 5 year old game being improved visually like this.

Tier 6 paladin shoulders look awesome with the HDR, like they are supposed to truly look like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

As far as I can tell this really just adds a ridiculous amount of bloom and darkens shadows.
    It basically adds more contrast and loads of bloom. I'm also not very fond of the fact that it overlaps with the UI.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it looks very good.

Nice effort though!

EDIT: Though if you could somehow seperate UI and game bloom, and just tune the bloom down a bit in general, then I might quite like it.

The mouseover light in pitbull looks seriously pimp with this.

If this works I'll jizz- and shit-myself...

I like the idea but the first thing that comes to mind is, does Blizzard approve with this? Also, I thought the brightness was too intense in the sky and that's what ruined most of it, is there any way to make the sky shininess a bit more dull?

All in all. Good work, me likez!

One quick question: Does this slow down your WoW like addons do? I.e Dalaran becoming even more un-walkable with even lower FPS after installing this?

Works fine for me on a gforce7800gts. Dunno if I like the effect or not, it tends to just make everything look blurry to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawnteh
    Doesnt work for me either. It says: Failed to find a suitable display device. Exiting program.
    I found this on the WoW forums;
    Hi again!

Just wanted to inform you (both readers and CM's) that I managed to fix the problem.

I did the following 3 things:
    - Updated windows XP with service pack 2 (fresh computer, wasn't fully updated while I transferred wow to it)
    - Installed latest possible DirectX (this being 8.1, let's not go into why)
    - After the installation of above 2 softwares, upon initializing WoW I got the following message (instead of the threads title) "Hardware has changed. Restore defult settings" (something in the lines of it at least). I chose Yes. Upon doing so WoW started. I then exited the program and inserted my WTF and Interface folders into the World of Warcraft folder, restarted the program, and it still worked.

I'm pleased :J

I hope this can shed some light on the problem. As I did all these 3 things in the same session, I don't really know which one "fixed" the problem.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...72000790&sid=1

Also another one; http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...d=1&pageNo=1#3

Quote Originally Posted by TheDesertDragon
    As far as I can tell this really just adds a ridiculous amount of bloom and darkens shadows.
    It basically adds more contrast and loads of bloom. I'm also not very fond of the fact that it overlaps with the UI.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think it looks very good.

Nice effort though!
    Thanks. I should have said it ain't for everyone. But then again, you can always modify the [BLOOM] section of the config to your liking
    Original site with documentation; http://enbseries.gtamaps.net/index_en.html
    The UI issue isn't something i'm able to fix unfortunately. I don't believe it'll be "fixed" until Blizzard implement it into the game itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Caradinist
    Very nice, and you say there was little to no performance issues?

Thanks, i'll keep this in mind, it certainly looks brighter and nicer than usual. While im usually against the whole "blooming it up" tactic that gaming companies have been using for nearly all their games lately, it's nice seeing a 5 year old game being improved visually like this.

Tier 6 paladin shoulders look awesome with the HDR, like they are supposed to truly look like.
    I don't usually approve of the HL2 effect (we all remember how overused it was) in games, but WoW just didn't have enough "oomph" when it came to lighting. The shadows in game are nice, sure, but the lighting has always left much to be desired in my eyes. I'd like to tone it down in some places, but getting the perfect mix of "enough light" and "ouch my eyes" for every situation can be tricky

Quote Originally Posted by Machine
    One quick question: Does this slow down your WoW like addons do? I.e Dalaran becoming even more un-walkable with even lower FPS after installing this?
    On older machines, it may do. But on any game that's capable of displaying Bloom and HDR effects (anything newer than a 6800GT) should be able to display this without much of a performance hit. My machine is "above average", but i see absolutely 0 FPS drop.

wondering what it does for fps? if anything?
    80 Warrior
    80 Death knight
    80 Shaman

Although have Dx11 and I renamed the file d3d11.dll and I could start the game, but no glow is applied whether I press Shift+F12 or not

Quote Originally Posted by mrsauriol
    wondering what it does for fps? if anything?
    I've just downloaded and installed (which took all of 35 seconds) and, I must say, the game looks much, MUCH better(in my opinion). And my framerate didn't take any hit at all.

As Chron said, it's not for everyone. Some may find that the bloom is too much, but I find it a nice chance from the bland textures and lighting of WoW normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawnteh
    Although have Dx11 and I renamed the file d3d11.dll and I could start the game, but no glow is applied whether I press Shift+F12 or not
    WoW isnt a DX11 game. I've got a DX10 card, but i still left it as D3D9.dll.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    WoW isnt a DX11 game. I've got a DX10 card, but i still left it as D3D9.dll.
    I would guess that it has something to do with DirectX9 stuff not compitable with dx11. Since it couldnt find a proper display device it tried to find something related to DX9. Anyway updating drivers now so lemme see afterwards what I can get.