Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The argument of the tinfoil hat brigade would suggest that an imperfect system will keep people engaged as you're able to offer continuous 'improvements', some of which can be passed off as 'new content'. That by constantly changing and tweaking things, you can feed of players' hope that things will get better for them individually, and keep them subscribed if that hope is occasionally realised. A perfectly balanced game would struggle to offer those things, and potentially stagnate, leaving people bored.

    There's probably some truth in that.
    +1 , exactly my point

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    PvP Power and resilience effectively do that, as if they factored into the displayed item level it would be higher than PvE gear of equivalent tier.
    Yes except it's lead to major problems. I remember resilience being implemented to reduce burst, not to actually remove the possibility to optimally equip PvE gear. How is it not better to just prevent PvE gear from surpassing a certain Ilvl threshold in rated matches (for example, Cunning of the Cruel gets its Ilvl reduced by 20, along with its effects) like they did in Challenge Modes? PvP power right now just seems to be promoting burst, which was a major problem of PvE gear back in Cataclysm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    You may be on to something here... GC claimed Ret Paladins killed his parents. Could it be that Warlocks drained Celas' dog soul?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    Yes except it's lead to major problems. I remember resilience being implemented to reduce burst, not to actually remove the possibility to optimally equip PvE gear. How is it not better to just prevent PvE gear from surpassing a certain Ilvl threshold in rated matches (for example, Cunning of the Cruel gets its Ilvl reduced by 20, along with its effects) like they did in Challenge Modes? PvP power right now just seems to be promoting burst, which was a major problem of PvE gear back in Cataclysm.
    I don't disagree. The idea of trying to limit burst through resilience, as well as other secondary stats and larger health pools, then piling on a flat +% damage modifier "to make it better than PvE alternatives" is rather counter-intuitive and arguably counter-productive in that it just fuels the arms race.

  4. #24
    Moderator Nicola's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,720
    People seem to forget that you now have 40% base resilience... The same amount of resilience people were on during s11 if they weren't stacking resilience.
    Without PvP power, there simply would be to little damage going on to ever kill someone unless you manage to pull of a ridiculous cc chain.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    People seem to forget that you now have 40% base resilience... The same amount of resilience people were on during s11 if they weren't stacking resilience.
    Without PvP power, there simply would be to little damage going on to ever kill someone unless you manage to pull of a ridiculous cc chain.
    Obviously there would be changes to resilience, like a reduction in the baseline amount. But with less PvP power there's also less healing. Going back to the way it worked in Cata while putting limits on PvE gear seems like a cleaner and simpler solution. I'd really like to know (honestly) why this wouldn't be a better fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivrax View Post
    You may be on to something here... GC claimed Ret Paladins killed his parents. Could it be that Warlocks drained Celas' dog soul?

  6. #26
    People don't understand that PvP balance will NEVER happen until Blizzard mans up and forces everyone to be ONE spec in PvP. There needs to be one clear spec for PvP or hell, a spec that a battleground forces you to take when you enter it. Sure it wouldn't be as fun, but I think balance is fun.

    It's a lot easier for Blizzard to balance 11 specs in PvP than balance 33(34 with Guardian druid)
    If you think about it, you'll see I'm right.

    Either that or EVERY SINGLE ability needs to have a separate function in PvP than in PvE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •