Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    My policy to slurs is this; if people stop taking offense to them, then they are not offensive anymore by definition.

It is partially the reason why I, as a gay man, refer to myself as a fag.
    well the gay community as a whole has been trying to take back that word for a while and I think it is working. The difference is that you are changing what fag was insulting in the first place, where a cunt is a terribly horrible woman that should just die and nobody likes.

There is no community of terribly horrible women actively trying to take this word back and make it more positive.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Show me one video of Bill O'Reilly using a racial slur. One. Dig through all of MEdia Matters youtube videos, all the stuff they have on him, and show me ONE that is a racial epithet.
    I can't find a video on this one, but in 2003 he referred to mexicans as wetbacks.
    here is a small list of his racism

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/busin...ishment/58769/

Stay on topic though, instead of being the normal right winger and turning this into an us vs them argument. your original post had nothing to contribute to the thread.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    That doesn't make any sense though because then by the same definition people who oppose you could start calling themselves "bigots" and you'd lose your power over that word.
    There is a definition between retention of denotation while losing connotation. Bigot will not likely mean anything but someone devoted to their prejudices. Fag or faggot in a non-offensive context still means a homosexual, but losing the slur element.

---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    well the gay community as a whole has been trying to take back that word for a while and I think it is working. The difference is that you are changing what fag was insulting in the first place, where a cunt is a terribly horrible woman that should just die and nobody likes.

There is no community of terribly horrible women actively trying to take this word back and make it more positive.
    The same thing could be said of the word bitch, yet there are many women (and some men) attempting to reclaim it. I envisage the same may happen with cunt, or rather should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    I would think people shouldn't need to be told why cunt is an offensive word. Nobody uses it in a positive way, its always used in an attempt to offend someone in an aggressive, demeaning way.
    I call my friends cunts because sometimes it's just fun to call them that. Doesn't mean I try to offend anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixie View Post
    Calling a man a cunt or a bitch is undermining to women because its using something feminine to demean someone. Its all over the place in media, effeminate traits are seen as weak and submissive. Like, "You hit like a girl." Girl is the insult, because girl=weak in society.

I would think people shouldn't need to be told why cunt is an offensive word. Nobody uses it in a positive way, its always used in an attempt to offend someone in an aggressive, demeaning way.
    Is calling a guy a "dickhead" ever used in a positive tone? Never seen anyone blink twice at hearing someone called that.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I call my friends cunts because sometimes it's just fun to call them that. Doesn't mean I try to offend anyone.
    you are implying that being a female is a negative atribute by doing this.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    And what, calling someone a douche implies that showering is a negative?

Again, if you don't take offense, the word becomes inoffensive.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    You refer to yourself as a bundle of sticks?
    If you think for a second about what a bundle of sticks and gay men have in common, you'll see where the word developed to describe gay men.

Deleted
    here in germany when i call somebody a jew everybody flips out.
    i just call them "jew" cause they'd not probably not understand i want to insult them if i call them "christ" or "muslim".
    also "jew" just sounds better.
    oh and "nigger" ain't seen very gladly here around aswell.
    cunt, bitch etc etc ain't that bad though

Deleted
    How?

He doesn't mean to offend, it's supposed to be funny and not to be taken in a serious way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    That was acute joke.
    personally, i'd rather be right.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

No, he's not. It's a word, the only meaning it holds is the meaning attributed to it by the one who uses it and those who hear it. At this point cunt is just a generic insult to many people, much like asshole (or does that imply that having an asshole makes you less of a person?).

Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    If you think for a second about what a bundle of sticks and gay men have in common, you'll see where the word developed to describe gay men.
    What about fag though? It still refers to a cigarette in the UK. Oh... wait.. nevermind I see it. :P

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    personally, i'd rather be right.
    You really don't want to get into a battle of the wits concerning mathematical puns with me. Trust me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Nrp7cj_tM

Most Americans on this board are quite sad I see. Words like Cunt, Idiot, Bitch, Moron WHATEVER, are only words and you act like someone who says it is murdering someone..../facepalm.
    Tell me, what do YOU find offensive, and why?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Too bad. If people want to believe I'm a woman hater just because of my vocabulary, let them. They're not the kind of people I want to associate myself with in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagina View Post
    No, he's not. It's a word, the only meaning it holds is the meaning attributed to it by the one who uses it and those who hear it. At this point cunt is just a generic insult to many people, much like asshole (or does that imply that having an asshole makes you less of a person?).
    No being an asshole means poop comes out of you and you are dirty.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    You are assuming that meaning from his words. It would be your problem if you considered that word to be a gender slurr.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    What about fag though? It still refers to a cigarette in the UK. Oh... wait.. nevermind I see it. :P
    Oh boy I get lots of flak when I say 'He went out for a fag'.

Don't even get me started on rhyming slang.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penatar View Post
    I can't find a video on this one, but in 2003 he referred to mexicans as wetbacks.
    here is a small list of his racism

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/busin...ishment/58769/

Stay on topic though, instead of being the normal right winger and turning this into an us vs them argument. your original post had nothing to contribute to the thread.
    As closely as O'Reilly is scrutinized and everything he says is dissected for any possible offense, if he'd have used any slurs the left would have made it front page news for weeks... So, lets see the video, I'm not buying your offered list as way too often stuff written about him is made up garbage... if you dont have the tape it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Seranthor; 2013-01-08 at 05:32 PM.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    No being an asshole means poop comes out of you and you are dirty.
    Whatchu talkin bout Gamdwelf