Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is there? I thought Hulkenburg was moving to Lotus.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Eddie Jordan seems to think Hulk is going to Force India, as much as I'd like to think that isn't true Eddie is usually right on the ball when it comes to driver contracts.

Hulk deserves better, I'd have thought we'd have seen him in the Lotus. It's a shame because that means Massa will be at Lotus.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Eddie Jordan seems to think Hulk is going to Force India, as much as I'd like to think that isn't true Eddie is usually right on the ball when it comes to driver contracts.

Hulk deserves better, I'd have thought we'd have seen him in the Lotus. It's a shame because that means Massa will be at Lotus.
    If it was anybody other than Eddie Jordan saying it, I'd say there is no way he'd be going to Force India.

10+ Year Old Account
    Force India is a waste for Hulkenburg, Lotus isn't the car Massa needs... then again as discussed on the last page, I'm not sure Massa is even the same driver any more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    check out this interesting article on Jalopnik.. if true, oh man...

http://jalopnik.com/red-bull-may-hav...olo-1442585020
    So thats why vettel is "so good" cheating offcourse

I really hope to see Hulkenburg driving for Lotus next year, he is quite talented and I would love to see what he can do with a good car. Force India is more of a side grade from Sauber, first half Force India was pretty good but they have really struggled in the second half with the exact opposite happening for Sauber.

Force India's fortunes haven't exactly been helped by Di Resta, what with him binning the car in the last 5 races.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The new turbocharged V6s are going to sound so awful across the board. That low bore/drone is almost exactly like the current Indy Car formula. I miss the days of V10s in F1 and 2.65L V8 turbos with 40 inches of boost in CART.

People loved the Turbo F1 cars of the 1980s and these should be no different really. The Mclaren MP4/4 had a 1.5L V6 turbo

With the new engines being 1.6L V6 Turbos they are probably going to have a similar sound. I know that lab recordings have already been released for both the Mercedes and Honda engines but it isn't the same. People often complain that the sounds in the racing game GT5 sound like a vacuum cleaner, but those sounds were recorded in the same way as these engines in a lab.

When you stick it in the back of a car and put it at a track things will change and the sound will come alive. They still won't sound anything like any F1 car post 1988 but there is a good chance they will sound like those 80s turbo cars.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    How high did the MP4/4 engine rev?
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2013-10-20 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidsafe View Post
    How high did the MP4/4 engine rev?
    It isn't well documented on the internet that I could find, though SimRaceway (online simulation game) has these stats for race spec, with it limited to 2.5bar turbo pressure.

Horsepower
    680 @ 14000 rpm
    Torque
    313 @ 10000 rpm

Though in qualifying configuration it was believed to put out 900bhp, not sure at what RPM. Back in those days they had full seperate engines, turbo's and gearboxes for qualifying vs race day, with the qualifying parts only capable of lasting around 4 qualifying laps. Probably longer with the limitations on boost pressure in 1988 though, I'm basing it on a jackie stewarts tech explanation from 1986 where the cars run much higher boost and hit power numbers in the 1200bhp range for qualifying spec.

The 2014 cars will rev to 15000 RPM so will be slightly higher reving than a race spec MP4/4 and will probably idle a little higher, so they definitely won't sound exactly the same, but similar is a good possibility.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-10-20 at 07:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been wondering on this, the last time when Honda Mugen was supplying engines they were also doing the electronics, they pretty much carried the Jordan team supplying everything but the chassis and tyres.

Are they still planning to expand, or are they just doing engines this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Been wondering on this, the last time when Honda Mugen was supplying engines they were also doing the electronics, they pretty much carried the Jordan team supplying everything but the chassis and tyres.

Are they still planning to expand, or are they just doing engines this time?
    All we know is engines, wouldn't expect much more to leak out before mid-way through the 2014 season (unless Martin Whitmarsh gets drunk and spills the beans).

In other news, unexpected but It seems Petrov may be making a return - http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/4...ing_2014_seat/

I think that they should make him their development driver before putting him in a cockpit for a race. Absolutely make sure that his wrist is 100% healed, because if it isn't, he'll break it in the first free practice. I'm actually with Ferrari on this, I don't think he'll make it back into F1. It is one thing breaking a leg, but his hand was nearly completely severed in that crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I think that they should make him their development driver before putting him in a cockpit for a race. Absolutely make sure that his wrist is 100% healed, because if it isn't, he'll break it in the first free practice. I'm actually with Ferrari on this, I don't think he'll make it back into F1. It is one thing breaking a leg, but his hand was nearly completely severed in that crash.
    You're talking about Robert Kubica, I'm talking about Vitaly Petrov. Different driver!

But talking about Kubica, his wrist has long healed. His issue is a lack of movement and flexibility and not strength. The guy has been dominating the european rally championship (albiet with more dramatic crashes, he gained a bit of a reputation as a crasher, even though he was clearly the fastest driver in the series), he got promoted to the WRC 2 championship and is very close to winning that and for the Rally of Wales GB he will be driving in the WRC series.

So Kubica has healed and is doing very well at top level motorsport, it's just that his recovery is not enough to allow him to drive an F1 car, he specifically said he could drive some tracks but other tracks would be an issue due to his restricted movement.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, they have delayed FP3 by 30 mins (which could mean delaying qualifying too) due to poor visibility. But not poor visibility for the cars, that is apparently fine, the issue is that the medical helecopter cannot take off due to lack of visibility so they can't start the session.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2013-10-25 at 06:12 PM.

Gotta say, in last few races, Grosjean has really stood up as a proper driver.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Aye 17th to 3rd was a mammoth drive, he always had the speed it was just the confidence around other drivers he had issues with. Vettel flawless as usual so no surprise there, Rosberg did pretty well but I was disapointed with Hamilton, not sure what happened to his race. Nice to finally see Mclaren with some pace, Jenson had a busy race in and out of the pits due to contact at the start but Perez was right on it, amazing overtake on Hamilton and Raikkonen at the end.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    I was disapointed with Hamilton, not sure what happened to his race.
    Hamilton: "I tried so hard to get past Felipe but it just wasn't possible and unfortunately I destroyed my tyres in doing so."

From http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../10/15163.html

Ross Brawn is to leave Mercedes GP at the end of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24725406