Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
  1. #101
    Mechagnome Typhoon-AN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Deepest, darkest, East Midlands - UK
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    So you already acknowledge that there are examples, and they aren't that long ago. Stalin, Hitler, Mao - this is ONLY THE LAST 100 YEARS. HELL, Mao was alive until 1976 - that's only 37 years ago. I'm talking about history that extends back to the beginning of society; tyrannical kings imposing their will on an unwilling population, this wasn't a new invention accompanying guns. There are OBVIOUSLY still tyrannical governments in power today.

    You're trying to draw this arbitrary line and say, "Our society is too good for that! We're obviously better than every other society in the history of Earth!" I cannot imagine anything more arrogant or stupid. Imagine what the Romans thought before the collapse of their society. All I can say is, "You're wrong." The forefathers who wrote our Constitution knew how important it was for the public to be able to oppose a government that had gotten out of control, and nothing has changed.

    I'm not arrogant enough to assume western governments can't become tyrannical to the point that the citizens are forced to overthrow them. The forefathers weren't arrogant enough to assume it about America.
    I would say yes, we are currently (in Western countries, Europe, USA, Canada etc.) at a stage where although we may not be able to trust our governments to stick to election pledges 100%, we can safely say they will not try to go all "Hitler" on us.

    Thats twice you've dodged my questions in consecutive posts. I even asked you to stick to western countries as these are more closely affiliated with the USA by culture etc. Forgive my ignorance, but when were China and Russia considered western countries? We could also go in to the Middle east situation, most of Asia around Pakistan and Afghanistan etc BUT they are also NOT WESTERN COUNTRIES THAT SHARE THE VALUES OF THE USA.

    Hopefully thats clear enough, now back to the original question I asked in my first post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    Because legalising guns would do what exactly, in a society that gets by quite well without them and deems them unnecessary? The reason "us Europeans" are against guns in the majority, is because of the harm they cause.

    All I ask, is for you to think about the following and give me an honest answer:

    How many children / innocent people need to be murdered in cold blood, with the firearms you seem to hold with such esteem, before you will consider giving up you "God given right" to own them?
    Last edited by Typhoon-AN; 2013-01-10 at 10:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Britain crushed the Egyptians as well. This is what they used to do, kill the people who want independence. Haven't any of you seen Brave heart? Falklands, Northern Ireland and Scotland should be able to break free like India did.

  2. #102
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,278
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    come on kalyyn... we all know you're a lunatic.
    Be fair, I'm a borderline sociopath at most...

    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    Because legalising guns would do what exactly, in a society that gets by quite well without them and deems them unnecessary? The reason "us Europeans" are against guns in the majority, is because of the harm they cause.

    All I ask, is for you to think about the following and give me an honest answer:

    How many children / innocent people need to be murdered in cold blood, with the firearms you seem to hold with such esteem, before you will consider giving up you "God given right" to own them?
    Those aren't British lives. They're Americans, and they are none of your concern. Foreigners need to stop pretending that they care about us.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    their gun is their argument. when it comes down to it, your ability to force your will on another is how you get anything done. a gun aids that. USA has the most guns, biggest guns, and we're the leaders of the free world

    not because you all respect us, you're just fucking terrified of us
    without our guns, the country with the second biggest guns would just take over

    so every argument against guns comes down to the same thing. one side can force their will on others, the other side has to be careful not to piss them off so they don't get shot

    peace has never been reality, never will, so arm yourself
    Wow that was stupid.

  4. #104
    Mechagnome Typhoon-AN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Deepest, darkest, East Midlands - UK
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Be fair, I'm a borderline sociopath at most...



    Those aren't British lives. They're Americans, and they are none of your concern. Foreigners need to stop pretending that they care about us.
    It appears if we dont have concern about said lives, no-one else will. Again, the question is dodged. Will no-one answer it with even a little honesty?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Britain crushed the Egyptians as well. This is what they used to do, kill the people who want independence. Haven't any of you seen Brave heart? Falklands, Northern Ireland and Scotland should be able to break free like India did.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Another stereotype, 'the 2nd amendment is to protect us from our own government'. Why are you scared of your own government? Sounds like you elect the wrong people then.
    Its not a stereotype its the truth. Im not worried about the government going t-rex mode on me but that is the entire purpose of the second amendment. You also make the mistake of thinking that the candidates that, I would wager, most gun advocates voted for are those in office currently.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 10:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    The 2nd amendment was conceived for a time of general lawlessness, and when a gun took 4 minutes to reload. It has no place in its current form in modern society, and should be changed or done away with.

    Also, don't deport Piers Morgan. We don't want him back.
    4 minutes to reload.....no.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 10:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Couldn't the best marksmen still only fire it a couple times a minute?
    I have read 15 seconds on average. But even if it was twice a minute...that would still be several 100% more than what he was suggesting.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 10:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    I never had to defend myself other then in verbal battles and whit some boxing/wrestling matches vs friends, do I live in a dreamworld? Where's my candycane house?
    Just because a physical threat hasn't fallen upon you doesn't mean that the chance doesnt exist. Or does it not exist since your experience obviously means that it can't.

  6. #106
    Hey I don't like what somebody is saying ship them off! Now the guy is a bit of a twit, but suggesting we force him to leave because of it is silly. If we started deporting idiots the country would be empty and 200 million ppl would be floating around in ships with no country.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    A lot of Europeans find it stupid because we're used to trusting our government, and we don't feel like we have the need to protect ourselves from it, not to mention that we have a smaller homicide rate, 3.5, than the USA's, 4.8.

    Then there's also the question why a good handgun don't do enough, or a shotgun. An assault rifle to defend yourself seems a bit excessive.
    Violent crime rates would like to have a discussion with you.

  8. #108
    I just don't understand how you can be enthusiastic about something that was created with no purpose in mind but the ending of a life.

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Medanielle View Post
    I just don't understand how you can be enthusiastic about something that was created with no purpose in mind but the ending of a life.
    This argument is as old and boring as the car vs guns argument.

  10. #110
    The Lightbringer UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    This argument is as old and boring as the car vs guns argument.
    You'll likely find that most arguments are "old". Still, age has no bearing on an argument that has a point.

    Rarely updated...

  11. #111
    Moderator Pendulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Treno
    Posts
    12,290
    We don't need another gun thread (but as linked, this story already exists in another thread), especially one that starts with "all gun enthusiasts are unintelligent."

    General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •