Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Brand new expensive computer restarting and performing bad. Help please

So this is my computer :
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rsAL

The 2 Gtx 680 cards are of course set up in SLI, anyway, here goes my story:

I bought the computer, and when it all arrived one of the gfx cards where broken, and therefor i at first ran with 1 card. The computer was really noise, but only when playing WoW - even tho it only uses like 10% of it's power at most times to gain max fps and all. On the Windows performence test it only scores 7.9 on the graphix/gaming graphix part.

I get the new card, and install into it's slot, and put the SLI cable in between them, runs the windows performence test, and it shows now 7.8. That means performence have gone DOWN with installing another card - instead of beeing better ? what have happend?

I ignore the problem above, as I'm in a rush to get back to my own place (was at my parents over christmas), and when I'm at my own place, the computer runs smooth with gaming and everything. Takes 6-8 seconds to boot, and playing HoN or doing photoshoppings is like a dream. I then decide to run WoW, and the nightmare is back.
    I today discover the SLI cable have loosend in the transport, and fit it as should. The computer now seem to be quiet even when doing the windows performence test, where it before where insanly noisy - but it's now down to 6,9 on the graphix part ?! two of theese cards should shurly net me pretty close to top results?

What can I do to make the computer not restart? both CPU and GPU are really cold (Maybe TOO much cooling?). The problem only happens with WoW.

I'm clueless to what i can do to solve this, so maybe anyone out there has an answear?

Best regards, Cyo
    As a response to the crowds whining about PvE beeing too hard throughout vanilla and TBC Blizzard recently hired on Bob the Builder.
    In a recent press confrence on the subject he was quoted as saying "Can we fix it? Yes we can!".

Deleted
    first of all to test if SLI is actually working try and run a heaven dx11 benchmark.
    as for the wow issue do you play in dx11 that one is notorious for being unstable iirc. (haven't played mop so not 100% on that)
    also wow is the only game that is known to not take advantage of SLI in a good way.
    windows grades mean jack shit tbh (my 670 currently is rated as a 4.3 , yet it eat ups any game i toss at it on ultra 50fps)
    also drivers are up to date i assume?

Driver is the newst one, and the problem deffinetly have with WoW to do - But yes, I'm playing in Dx11, so I guess I'll try out Dx9 tonight and see if it makes a difference.
    Ok - I was worried the windoes grades acetully meant something .. My computer kills anything and uses very low % when i check that while running the game.
    Didn't know about the problems with Dx11 so thanks for the thumbs up on that =)
    As a response to the crowds whining about PvE beeing too hard throughout vanilla and TBC Blizzard recently hired on Bob the Builder.
    In a recent press confrence on the subject he was quoted as saying "Can we fix it? Yes we can!".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyone View Post
    Driver is the newst one, and the problem deffinetly have with WoW to do - But yes, I'm playing in Dx11, so I guess I'll try out Dx9 tonight and see if it makes a difference.
    Ok - I was worried the windoes grades acetully meant something .. My computer kills anything and uses very low % when i check that while running the game.
    Didn't know about the problems with Dx11 so thanks for the thumbs up on that =)
    you also mentioned restarts when do these occur?
    also any OC on that cpu yet? (works great to improve wow performance)

The restarts happens at random times, but only when playing WoW.
    I will hear all fans in the computer going mad on full power for no reason at all, only to the screen turning black and then 3 seconds later rebooting.
    No OC on the CPU yet, as i have not seen the need for it, and i felt the computer made alot of noise and the reboots and all, so i wanted to sort that first anyway.

Deleted
    fair enough.
    the restarts are likely related to the dx11/horrible sli support of wow.

DX11 works fine in WoW. Even if there was an issue with it it would be highly unlikely that it would make your screen go black and force a reboot.
    That sounds more like a hardware issue and you should try to diagnose it by running prime95 and a GPU test like furmark. OCCT is also a good tool to help looking for flaws in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    fair enough.
    the restarts are likely related to the dx11/horrible sli support of wow.
    Horrible SLI support will only effect performance in game and not crash the computer, same with DX11. In extreme cases it might be able to cause a WoW error.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-01-10 at 03:41 PM.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Have you tried completely reinstalling the graphics card drivers, and are you absolutely sure enough (and the correct) power cables are plugged into the graphics cards, which are seated properly in the correct PCI-E slots and the SLI bridge is securely attached?

After having a look around the usual fixes to the problem with WoW is:

Reinstall Windows.
    Reinstall GPU drivers.
    If you have a factory overclocked GPU either underclock it or increase voltage.
    Run Windows update.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I don't know if it has changed for Windows 8, but for Windows 7 the highest possible score for WEI is actually 7.9. This score is also limited by lowest component. If you run WEI and have some other hard drive intensive program running etc it will impact your score.

I am very suprised that your WEI score with a 670 is 4.3. Are you sure that isn't due to some other portion of your system being at 4.3? My P4EE gets a 4.3 in WEI due to the processor, but the AGP 3850 in it gives a 7.6 for gaming graphics and 7.6 for graphics. A 670 should surely cap WEI at 7.9 for graphics and gaming graphics. Click on the score to see a detailed report.

Shroudster, if you have your OS installed on your WD Green 3 TB HDD im betting that is what is pulling you down to 4.3.
    Last edited by Elgand; 2013-01-10 at 07:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgand View Post
    I don't know if it has changed for Windows 8, but for Windows 7 the highest possible score for WEI is actually 7.9. This score is also limited by lowest component. If you run WEI and have some other hard drive intensive program running etc it will impact your score.

I am very suprised that your WEI score with a 670 is 4.3. Are you sure that isn't due to some other portion of your system being at 4.3? My P4EE gets a 4.3 in WEI due to the processor, but the AGP 3850 in it gives a 7.6 for gaming graphics and 7.6 for graphics. A 670 should surely cap WEI at 7.9 for graphics and gaming graphics. Click on the score to see a detailed report.

Shroudster, if you have your OS installed on your WD Green 3 TB HDD im betting that is what is pulling you down to 4.3.
    http://i.imgur.com/b0iAZ.jpg
    ofc my os is on my ssd ^^

Wow... that is just stupid. WEI ftl once again. Just for curiosity sake, if you return your GPU clocks to stock does the WEI score go up?

I'd take a peek of your event viewer and see if there's any clues there.

If I had to guess, A reinstall would be a safe bet now rather than later (when the computer is less new)

Event Viewer might give you some clues.

A bit off topic, but shroudster you took part in this thread and it was mentioned that 4GB cards can see a performance loss due to overclocking. Although I wouldn't trust WEI as the only source for your results, I would be investigating this further if I were you.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19746531

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyone View Post
    On the Windows performence test it only scores 7.9 on the graphix/gaming graphix part.
    Have you bothered reading the info about Windows Experience Index (honestly WEI is a shit benchmarking software to begin with) but unless they updated it in Windows 8, 7.9 is the max anything can get.

Also, why did you buy such overkill? What games other than WoW do you play?

Frankly I can point out quite a few things to change in that build that would have actually increased performance per dollar and also gotten you benefits that you'll soon enough wish you'd thought of.

AKA, go for a cheaper CPU and chipset and get a bigger SSD, etc etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    A bit off topic, but shroudster you took part in this thread and it was mentioned that 4GB cards can see a performance loss due to overclocking. Although I wouldn't trust WEI as the only source for your results, I would be investigating this further if I were you.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19746531
    my gpu performs just fine no worries on that end.
    also that particular thread was more about tetris claiming that 4gb perform worse compared to 2gb. (they have perhaps less oc headroom but performance wise they are equal or better)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... that is just stupid. WEI ftl once again. Just for curiosity sake, if you return your GPU clocks to stock does the WEI score go up?
    Stop taking WEI seriously. It's garbage.

You want to actually test your computer's performance?

Cinebench
    Unigine Heaven 3.0
    3DMark 11
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Stop taking WEI seriously. It's garbage.

You want to actually test your computer's performance?

Cinebench
    Unigine Heaven 3.0
    3DMark 11
    what you think i tried to prove with the SS? ^^
    also damm shame that cinebench results database is like non excistant in trial version. (only +-4 other outdated hardware results)

10+ Year Old Account
    what you think i tried to prove with the SS? ^^
    also damm shame that cinebench results database is like non excistant in trial version. (only +-4 other outdated hardware results)
    Should still be able to ask others who have similar machines what their results were.

Maybe I should add a Cinebench thing to the CPU OC leaderboard thread. hmmmmmmmmm...
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Should still be able to ask others who have similar machines what their results were.

Maybe I should add a Cinebench thing to the CPU OC leaderboard thread. hmmmmmmmmm...
    atleast add it to the cpu one aswell then so we can spot the actual performance of certain overclocks? (sneaky people without HT for example ^^)