Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I sometimes think I'm a bit hard of hearing, but every hearing test I've done has come back fine. I think maybe it's partly because I'm quite tall and so I get a lot more of the ambient noise in a room than shorter people in a crowd, who are surrounded by bodies to block some of that sound out, and who are naturally a bit closer to the source of other voices.
    I've never thought of that before, but it makes sense. I'm 6'8" and I often have problems hearing people in public places, like the mall or at the park (especially when standing) I guess the ambient noise from the surrounding environment does drown out the voice of whoever I'm talking to. I do find myself having to bend over and get closer to people to be able to properly hear them sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have extremely good hearing, and I talk 'loud'. I hate when people ask me to repeat something because they couldn't hear me, so I make sure they hear me the first time. People who 'soft talk', sorry, I'm going to ask you to repeat something until it frustrates the hell out of you. If you can't talk to another person at such a volume that they can hear you, then be prepeared to double or even triple the length of the conversation simply because you get asked to repeat yourself so often. I'm not saying you have to yell, but I should not have to lean in to hear you, unless our conversation has intentionally gone down to a whisper.

There's also the problem of people who have voices that seem to just...blend into the background noise. They may be speaking at an audible level, but everything around you just sort of cancels it out lol. I have a friend like that, and I giggle at him every time I notice that happens. Pisses him off something fierce :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I find it much more annoying when people talk extremely loud.

I am similar to Rukentuts, except I blame my father. He has very sensitive hearing and was always trying to get my brother and I to speak more softly. Being constantly shhh'd my whole childhood has lead me to speak softly out of habit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    I am similar to Rukentuts, except I blame my father. He has very sensitive hearing and was always trying to get my brother and I to speak more softly. Being constantly shhh'd my whole childhood has lead me to speak softly out of habit.
    Hey, I think I am opposite of you.

My father is a loud obnoxious baboon.

So I like silence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you aren't listening hard enough?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't talk loud because of my hearing. I get startled/ have headaches when I'm talking to people who talk loud often.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the confidence behind loud speakers. There definitely is a limit to the volume, but I've always attributed a strong voice as an appealing factor.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have this problem with my brother. Not only does he talk so softly you cannot hear the words, he also mumbles. Sounds like he has pebbles in his mouth. I always ask people to speak up or enunciate if I cannot understand them. I like to be an active participant in conversations, not just sit and look pretty
    I also speak a bit too loudly, have all my life. My mother used to yell at me for it all the time. I do have hearing problems and believe I speak louder because of this.

After being pestered for 12 freaking years of school to shut up and listen, and getting punished any time I raised my voice to authority, it's kind of hard to anymore.

And if I ask for someone to speak up, it's because my hearing is different. I can't pick and choose what I want to hear, so if there's background noise, it gets all tangled with the syllables you're speaking and I can't understand you. Hence, speak louder.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-01-12 at 12:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

I'm a "low talker", and I think I'm equally annoyed by you hard of hearing people as you are annoyed by me. Really when it comes down to it, I don't actually know I'm talking very softly 99% of the time it sounds perfectly fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Best thing about that is when they ask a question, and you inadvertently answer with something completely wrong. Or go "uh huh". Awkward level is over 9000.
    When these things happen, it is very obvious you didn't hear a thing I said and it pisses me off, it's just better to ask "Can you say that again," or something polite like that (not "speak louder" or "can you speak up", that's just annoying), it doesn't hurt my feelings to ask to repeat, at least I know you give a damn about what I'm saying.
    X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I like the confidence behind loud speakers. There definitely is a limit to the volume, but I've always attributed a strong voice as an appealing factor.
    Me too. I find loud speech to be much more engaging. I don't like blushing violets.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    When someone is loud I see that as a sign of weakness. As if they were the runt of the litter and thus had to amp up the volume in order to be heard. A strong, confident person should be able to talk in a normal voice and simply trust that they are being listened to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    When someone is loud I see that as a sign of weakness. As if they were the runt of the litter and thus had to amp up the volume in order to be heard. A strong, confident person should be able to talk in a normal voice and simply trust that they are being listened to.
    Many of the great orators throughout history would disagree, except maybe Frederick Douglass. Tone and volume need to be used to make yourself heard because not everyone is willing to listen. Sure for moments of compassion one should resort to lowering their volume, but otherwise, volume speaks volumes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Many of the great orators throughout history would disagree, except maybe Frederick Douglass. Tone and volume need to be used to make yourself heard because not everyone is willing to listen. Sure for moments of compassion one should resort to lowering their volume, but otherwise, volume speaks volumes.
    Yea that's great and all if you're giving a speech, but when you're loud in normal everyday conversation it makes you look desperate. Just look at Obama...he has his "speech giving" voice, and then a normal voice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea that's great and all if you're giving a speech, but when you're yelling in normal everyday conversation it makes you look desperate.
    There is a difference between yelling and speaking with a strong voice. Low talkers seem to lack confidence in what they are saying.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between yelling and speaking with a strong voice. Low talkers seem to lack confidence in what they are saying.
    I'm not saying you need to talk low. Talk normal...neither loud or soft.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not saying you need to talk low. Talk normal...neither loud or soft.
    And would you say that to a normally soft talker? If you aren't willing to make yourself heard, then no one will be willing to listen.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I don't mind soft talkers for short bursts but please don't tell me some long ass 30 minute story that happened to you 20 years ago. I probably would listen to the whole thing but if I have to strain to hear you talk ..just shut the fuck up.

Deleted
    I sometimes speak a bit softly, it's not that I have sensitive ears or that it hurts, in fact, I think my hearing is a little worse than what it should be. So instead of yelling, I lower my voice to what I think sounds normal, and well.. sometimes I just guess wrong.

Personally I don't take it as an insult if people ask me to speak up, it's an aid to me.
    Last edited by mmoc2f5285686e; 2013-01-12 at 01:36 AM.