Poll: Do you spend that much on clothes?

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I live in Denmark, so yeah, it's hard to get cloth that cost less unless you want to look like a hobo.

a decent pair of pants cost around 120-150$ (700-800dkk), and a shirt can easyly cost 100$ aswell (500dkk)

a pair of underwear costs 30-40$ (150-200dkk).

so yeah, i do

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    ive spent 90$ on a pair of jeans...most of my shirts are 30$ or under though. i shop alot of the lucky store outlet and the polo store outlet. good clothes for not an absurd price, not cheap though..
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

I own about 3 pairs of jeans that cost me somewhere inbetween 100-150ish euro. Also have a dress shirt that was roughly 100 euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    I'm honestly surprised by how many people aren't prepared to spend $100+ on certain items of clothing (particularly jeans/jackets/shirts/shoes). We live in a world of first impressions and how we present ourselves is very important. You can quite easily find very cheap clothes that will last you many years, in fact I have a number of pieces of clothing like that, but for me they are strictly around the house clothes. When I go out I make sure I don't look like a slob or someone who doesn't care what they look like. It's fine to not care personally how you look (although I think that can often be more damaging to your confidence/self esteem than caring), so long as you remember that for others it is important and that you don't go around calling people fools or whatever else, just as you wouldn't like them judging you for not dressing fashionably/nicely.
    What's more surprising is so many people thinking that their $300 jeans look any different and that most people are buying those. Not looking like a slob has more to do with whether your clothes are taken care of (washed, not ripped) and whether you are clean.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly surprised by how many people aren't prepared to spend $100+ on certain items of clothing (particularly jeans/jackets/shirts/shoes). We live in a world of first impressions and how we present ourselves is very important. You can quite easily find very cheap clothes that will last you many years, in fact I have a number of pieces of clothing like that, but for me they are strictly around the house clothes. When I go out I make sure I don't look like a slob or someone who doesn't care what they look like. It's fine to not care personally how you look (although I think that can often be more damaging to your confidence/self esteem than caring), so long as you remember that for others it is important and that you don't go around calling people fools or whatever else, just as you wouldn't like them judging you for not dressing fashionably/nicely.
    not everyone has lots of disposable income at their disposal. looks<getting food on the table. people buy what they are willing to spend/can afford to spend. that and i personally don't care what most people think about me outside of job interviews. as long as the clothing doesnt have holes in it everywhere/food stains it is good enough for me to wear in public.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-01-13 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    What's more surprising is so many people thinking that their $300 jeans look any different and that most people are buying those. Not looking like a slob has more to do with whether your clothes are taken care of (washed, not ripped) and whether you are clean.
    There is a clear correlation between the quality of jeans and their price, it just stops somewhere around 100$

Deleted
    It depends a lot on what it is. My job requires me to show up well-dressed. And those clothes costs more than 100 euro. I do buy a lot of cheaper stuff for at home. Home stuff is like 20-50 euro per piece.

I also have a few nice dresses in my wardrobe. If you find a dress below 100 euro, check again if it's actually a dress

Quote Originally Posted by Deafknight View Post
    There is a clear correlation between the quality of jeans and their price, it just stops somewhere around 100$
    I remember seeing a pair of nice grey jeans, they were $150. I wanted to wait to get them because I had a 20% off that I was getting the following week. I bought them on a 2 day sale when they went down to 80 + 16 off so $64.

Not the best quality honestly. I also have a pair of $10 jeans I bought from walmart because I needed a pair as I ripped mines while I was out, and they were surprisingly comfy compared to the jeans I had ripped which were $40.

There isn't a clear correlation for jeans.
    The only thing that I understand spending on are suits.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:01 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyonis View Post
    It depends a lot on what it is. My job requires me to show up well-dressed. And those clothes costs more than 100 euro. I do buy a lot of cheaper stuff for at home. Home stuff is like 20-50 euro per piece.

I also have a few nice dresses in my wardrobe. If you find a dress below 100 euro, check again if it's actually a dress
    In New York it's rather easy. I was tasked with finding dresses for a few people and they gave me 100 dollars to do it. First stop was macys. A return, only one in store, never worn dress that was $6, it was marked down from $120, the cashier called over like 3 other people and they all were amazed at the find and called me extremely lucky. Then I found another one, same position also a return and they all were yet again amazed and laughed. Also had a 10% off. There are also some decent dresses on 34th street where there are a bunch of like wholesale dress sellers, usually about 30-70 for a decent dress.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    I live in Denmark, so yeah, it's hard to get cloth that cost less unless you want to look like a hobo.

a decent pair of pants cost around 120-150$ (700-800dkk), and a shirt can easyly cost 100$ aswell (500dkk)

a pair of underwear costs 30-40$ (150-200dkk).

so yeah, i do
    Splurging on underwear... I just wear hanes or fruit of the loom they're like 6-15 dollars a pack.

Splurging on underwear... I just wear hanes or fruit of the loom they're like 6-15 dollars a pack.
    Underwear is what's in contact with your genitals all day, I'd argue that's the part you should spend the most on.

Girls apparently have it particularly bad: a properly sized and fitted bra can run up to $200 and there is a noticeable difference between the cheaper ones and the one-off stuff from speciality shoppes. The bigger your boobs or the more active you are (ie: sports vs reading) the more important it becomes to have the "good bras".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Underwear is what's in contact with your genitals all day, I'd argue that's the part you should spend the most on.

Girls apparently have it particularly bad: a properly sized and fitted bra can run up to $200 and there is a noticeable difference between the cheaper ones and the one-off stuff from speciality shoppes. The bigger your boobs or the more active you are (ie: sports vs reading) the more important it becomes to have the "good bras".
    Jesus christ, I know! I remember some girls talking about a sale on panties they'd seen and how it was such a great deal that they were only, like, $25 a pair.

Man, I can get three packs of britches for that kind of money! :/
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    I do at times, not often though.

Deleted
    Bought a Hugo Boss leather jacket for €600 few months ago. Bought a pair of shoes yesterday for €250. I don't often spend these amounts on clothing. When I do, though, I buy quality that lasts.

I'm a fairly large guy and I'm only 17. So nice clothes are pretty expensive (A t-shirt is like £50 in my size that's comfortable, looks decent, fits well, and is made of nice material) jeans pushing £75-100. But then again I only buy new clothes like every year or so ^^.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post

? the most why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    For me it's not totally about looks but also quality. Sure, I can buy a pair of jeans for like 20€ and after maybe 6 months they are washed out, seams are broken and so on. So I need to buy like one pair every month to have enough in my closet. Quality jeans for like 120-160€ last for years. My oldest jeans has cost 160€ and is about 7 years old and still good. It's washed and worn out but not broken like cheaper jeans after 6 months.

Same goes for t-shirts, shoes and everything else. For me it's not about looks or brands but convenience to spend less time on shopping and that's only possible by buying high quality clothes that last for years instead of months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    I do at times, not often though.
    God, such a girl!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Things are more expensive here(Nordic region) in general, so what one considers splurging doesn't have to mean it is splurging. ;P
    Sure you can find cheaper things, but it's pretty important to point out that things do cost differently in different regions, the good thing is clothes seem rediculesly cheap when you go abroad(depending on where). Like a neverending sale. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Jesus christ, I know! I remember some girls talking about a sale on panties they'd seen and how it was such a great deal that they were only, like, $25 a pair.

Man, I can get three packs of britches for that kind of money! :/
    Yeah women's underwear can get pricey. 25 would be a bargain if you ask my gf, but she is pretty picky, so it's more like +40 for a pair of knickers(like stuff from Agent Provocateur).

Anyways shoes are often worth the extra dollars imo. When I've bought cheaper ones they seem to fall apart quite fast. I walk a lot though.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-13 at 04:56 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Lol wow shallow much? Since when did "how much" you spend = looking like a slob? I thought it was all about how you dress and put yourself together lmao. It is foolish to say. "Oh my that guy spent only 20$ on that shirt he is clearly a slob" *says the man in the 500$ sweater with a 900$ jacket and 300$ shoes*

In Europe I have some problems at times finding cheap clothing that is always quality or expensive clothing at some stores for really cheap, it's quite easy to accomplish around New York and New Jersey though.

This whole idea of price = quality is bs, considering the most expensive pair of boots I bought didn't last me any time at all. I don't spend more than $30 for jeans $50 for shoes $10 for t-shirts.

The last pair of boots I bought were a pair of $90 boots which I got for $1 and then promptly resold as they were not my size, great condition though, complete fluke, but I guess since they were $1 they would have fallen apart right?

I also got a $1 pair of sneakers that day (another fluke) which are still in quite good condition.

They were actually my size, so no reselling.

When I see someone I do not think "how much were those jeans and shoes." if the jeans look nice and the shoes look nice I really don't gift a shit how much they spent on them lol nor do I think about it. To think people are slobs for it, shows a tremendous amount of snobbery.

The most expensive thing I have ever bought, when I had more money was a $3000 bag, which I then resold in a couple years. $3000 gets you a nice bag, which will also need repairs every years or so, which then cost an additional 100-400 dollars. Really, it's just a waste of money lol. I am not using a $40 which is doing me quite well. I went on the designers site to see how much they sold it for and it was $220.
    I think you took my "slob" comment a little out of context, and slightly overreacted (and by slightly I mean severely), but that's probably my fault for not being clearer. I never suggested there was a linear relationship between how much a person spends and whether or not they look like a slob, but I think there is absolutely a difference in quality and style between a $40 pair of jeans and a $150 pair of jeans partly due to the different demographics they're targeted at. Now of course there will always be exceptions where an expensive item of clothing could be of terrible quality, and a cheap item being of exceptional quality, speaking in general terms however the more expensive item will almost always be of a higher quality, made using better materials, and/or more up to date with current fashion trends.

Suggesting that a $40 item of clothing will look as nice or as fashionable/dressy/respectable as a more expensive item isn't unheard of, but there's definitely relatively very few cases of it happening. I personally place a high level of importance on the way I look (hair, clothing, physique, etc) because I have gone through a phase of not caring and I know how it made me feel and the impact it had on my physical and mental health. I became insecure, a lot less confident, and developed antisocial tendencies as a result. When I'm looking good, and feeling good, my confidence levels soar as does my productivity, motivation, and energy levels - if that means I fork out a little extra money to get something I like and looks good, I'm more than happy to do so.

P.S I feel like I should point out, given the very extreme clothing prices you decided to use in your opening paragraph, I have never spent more than $200 on a single piece of clothing. I absolutely think there is almost always an improved level of quality and/or style between a sub $50 item and a ~$100 one (excluding t-shirts, jocks, socks)

Deleted
    I would on something that was practical and was based on something i like (e.g star wars etc).

To date the most i have spent is £60 on a coat.

I think you took my "slob" comment a little out of context, and slightly overreacted (and by slightly I mean severely), but that's probably my fault for not being clearer. I never suggested there was a linear relationship between how much a person spends and whether or not they look like a slob, but I think there is absolutely a difference in quality and style between a $40 pair of jeans and a $150 pair of jeans partly due to the different demographics they're targeted at. Now of course there will always be exceptions where an expensive item of clothing could be of terrible quality, and a cheap item being of exceptional quality, speaking in general terms however the more expensive item will almost always be of a higher quality, made using better materials, and/or more up to date with current fashion trends.

Suggesting that a $40 item of clothing will look as nice or as fashionable/dressy/respectable as a more expensive item isn't unheard of, but there's definitely relatively very few cases of it happening. I personally place a high level of importance on the way I look (hair, clothing, physique, etc) because I have gone through a phase of not caring and I know how it made me feel and the impact it had on my physical and mental health. I became insecure, a lot less confident, and developed antisocial tendencies as a result. When I'm looking good, and feeling good, my confidence levels soar as does my productivity, motivation, and energy levels - if that means I fork out a little extra money to get something I like and looks good, I'm more than happy to do so.

P.S I feel like I should point out, given the very extreme clothing prices you decided to use in your opening paragraph, I have never spent more than $200 on a single piece of clothing. I absolutely think there is almost always an improved level of quality and/or style between a sub $50 item and a ~$100 one (excluding t-shirts, jocks, socks)
    I know a lot of cases of it happening lol. If you don't care about it and make assumptions and always shop 1 way, then of course, you will not hear much about it, or even care that much about it. I am shocked at the crap some people buy when for the same price I have often gotten better quality. I have a $87 sweater sitting in my closet that is nowhere near as comfortable or has the quality as another sweater I bought for $35. I do not correlate price with quality always. Price is one part of quality, but then brand is another.

You don't have to spend a lot to look good and feel good because you're looking good lol. Only if you aren't a very good shopper. Shopping is almost a damn skill honestly. Which is why I have been tasked many times with buying things for people, because I shop quite well. I have bought things for people within their budget and they will often say "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS USUALLY IS?!" It's really not difficult to do.... unless you don't care to spend time honing shopping skills.

My thing is... I don't get the whole "It's expensive it must be good!" mentality lol. I am not speaking of great cheap clothes and crappy expensive clothes by the way I am more speaking of the middle ground, at some point you don't need to spend $50 on a pair of underwear, or $900 on a jacket. At some point it becomes all about the designer and buying for the sake of buying to fill some type of void. I didn't fucking need a $3,000 bag and while the quality was nice I could have just as easily got a $200-400 bag.

Instead I ended up with a $35 bag which retails for just about $220 on the designers site, though I have seen it as low at $140 other places, but you know a 2 day sale + coupons does quite the wonder.