Deleted

Profession change for PvE boost! Help needed. :)

Hey again all!

I've made some huge improvements over my gear and progression since coming here for help and advice though still a way to go, what I'm in a pickle over now are my professions. I've been asked if I could squeeze more from my damage by swapping professions out and I can, the only trouble is that I don't really know which would be the best or most viable raiding with? I currently have Mining and Herbalism (I have the Herbalism for the Lifeblood) with Lifeblood being macro'd in with my Sinister Strike so it's practically used on CD.

I see a lot of Enchanting/JCing combinations, and Engineering/JCing too. What I'd personally like is the most viable out of the professions to grant me a productive increase overall. I'm competitive to an extent, I'm not hardcore or in with the numbers of how a lot of the more experienced players out there are as I've never delved into it that far, though I have read up that people would choose Blacksmithing as a primary choice for raiding as a PvE Rogue too. Why would that be a choice over others? I see that it sockets gloves and bracers, but how would it be superior? If it is superior, how much superior? Minor or Major?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, though any help is really appreciated!

--Lee

10+ Year Old Account
    http://elitistjerks.com/forums.php

Rogue forums.. discussion of professions in the spec guides.. don't play a rogue but this may be a good starting point
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Deleted
    Crafting professions all work out at ~320 of your primary stat. So crafting professions are relatively best. Pick whichever fits you best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sildrae View Post
    I see a lot of Enchanting/JCing combinations, and Engineering/JCing too. What I'd personally like is the most viable out of the professions to grant me a productive increase overall. I'm competitive to an extent, I'm not hardcore or in with the numbers of how a lot of the more experienced players out there are as I've never delved into it that far, though I have read up that people would choose Blacksmithing as a primary choice for raiding as a PvE Rogue too. Why would that be a choice over others? I see that it sockets gloves and bracers, but how would it be superior? If it is superior, how much superior? Minor or Major?

Sorry if I'm being a pain, though any help is really appreciated!

--Lee
    No pain at all. The question is LARGELY going to come down to what a worthwhile tradeoff is for you of effort to gain. Switching mining to a crafting profession is "big" (see shadowcraft and swap professions to see HOW big). As for herbalism -> something else; it's smaller, although it should be a gain, at least outside of combat, but whether or not it's worth getting rid of your current profession and taking the effort to pick up another, is up to you.

Blacksmithing: this usually pulls ahead when epic gems are available (see Dragon Soul; 2 +50 primary gems: +100 stats instead of a +80 stat bonus, or the unfortunate JC drop to +17x3: +51 stats when in full epics), or when you prefer secondary stats to primary stats (LW adds agi, enchanting adds agi, JC adds agi...). It's the most flexible, but we're talking about "minor" gains at this point, for the really discerning raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugajak View Post
    Blacksmithing: this usually pulls ahead when epic gems are available (see Dragon Soul; 2 +50 primary gems: +100 stats instead of a +80 stat bonus, or the unfortunate JC drop to +17x3: +51 stats when in full epics), or when you prefer secondary stats to primary stats (LW adds agi, enchanting adds agi, JC adds agi...). It's the most flexible, but we're talking about "minor" gains at this point, for the really discerning raider.
    Blacksmithing is already ahead of all other professions--at least for combat and assassination. It's on par with all other professions for subtlety and combat & assassination at low gear levels (that is points in gear where 2 haste < 1 agi)

I'd say the best combo would be BS/Eng.

Engineering/Blacksmith.

Engineering is the best because the glove enchants work out to be equal to the other profession perks in the worst case scenario of the fight ending right when they com off cooldown. More likely than not, you the worst case scenario isn't what will happen, and they will end up a good 5-10% above other professions.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    Blacksmithing is already ahead of all other professions--at least for combat and assassination. It's on par with all other professions for subtlety and combat & assassination at low gear levels (that is points in gear where 2 haste < 1 agi)
    Not sure about that for assassination. All the sims I've seen show 1 agi > 2 mastery at all current gear levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Not sure about that for assassination. All the sims I've seen show 1 agi > 2 mastery at all current gear levels.
    No, but 2xhit > 1xagi for at all gear levels for combat and assassination, which again makes blacksmithing better than all other professions. Especially in light that BS is equivalent to everything else when not considering secondary stats.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-01-14 at 04:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    No, but 2xhit > 1xagi for at all gear levels for combat and assassination, which again makes blacksmithing better than all other professions. Especially in light that BS is equivalent to everything else when not considering secondary stats.
    The value of hit on a gem or gear piece when you can hit your hit cap is the value of what you reforge into, and for all current gear levels, the hit cap is nothing resembling threatening. Hit value = mastery or possible crit value for most assassination rogues.

That said, BS/Engi are still the best, and I explained why BS is at least equal and tends to pull ahead, in my post. Not really sure where it appeared that I wasn't saying this was the case. For the "slightly more casual" player, though, the only faux-pas is mining, with skinning and herbalism as " bad" and tailoring as "iffy at best," where anything else is "good" where the differences between near best and best, for the non-hardcore, is minimal.

If you ever consider not using a second potion, ANY crafting profession is roughly equivalent, for a rough estimate. Several of us have explained the ins and outs if you choose to become more serious about maxing out your DPS.

Deleted
    Thank you all for the input, sorry it's taken me so long to come and read through, just been busy with other things =)

I really appreciate all the help and effort put in to helping me, I have a little bit more of an understanding now where Blacksmithing comes in to play, I'm not going to go too hardcore in to all the numbers to maximise the most highest potential yet, I want to further learn the curves and understand more of the inside mechanics of the class, rather than just playing the rogue and not fully understanding my situations.

As I've said to a lot of people, I have a lot to learn and even though I've played a Rogue casually from vanilla, as I have Priest and only Warlock through vanilla, that's all I've been, casual. I have my basic understandings, only as of recent Cata did I start to play the raiding side where I'd be involved rather than just exploring, questing, battlegrounds and the odd run about the world haha! I'm not actually really liking the raiding side I'd just like to get what I can out of my class and myself with the most potential I can but on a nice learning curve rather than all in and confuse myself too much.

I would like to know where you pull the stat weights, values and such like that as I'd really like to understand the numbers more, something to read for myself -- I will state that I use reforgelite for reforging my gear, but I've contemplated going off what shadowcraft says? Gem + reforging, would that actually work out better for myself using that or reforgelite? I see people mentioning shadowcraft a few times that's why I've questioned it this time around

Again, thank you very much for helping me out it really is appreciated and I'll try to make sure I take it all in even if it's over a time period! =)

--Lee

10+ Year Old Account
    Reforgelite, WoWreforge, or any other addon/site simply takes input (default or your input) and "brute forces" (primarily, some use better algorithms) the "best" reforge FOR your stat weightings. If the weights are incorrect, you'll gem and reforge incorrectly, but that's true regardless of source. Shadowcraft/Simulationcraft are the only good sources of stat weightings. If you don't want to download SimC and use it to evaluate your weighting options, just use shadowcraft's weights for your character. There's some debate about which is likely to be more accurate, but 90% of the time they should agree on the order of stats and come damn close to having the same weights.

If you are a cheap person like me and do not want to blow huge amounts of money on AH with professions and enchants.

I highly suggest LW/Engi.
    Engi is fun and LW gives you those cheap leg enchants + 500 agi on bracers.
    Also LW is generally cheaper to level.
    Mithril on my server can be hugely overpriced.
    If you are going to farm it yourself. BS/Engi is cheaper and easier... but if you going to buy your way. LW would save you quite a alot of gold

Edit: Link - Profession leveling guide
    http://www.wow-professions.com/profe...eveling-guides
    Last edited by Sanguinezor; 2013-01-14 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    I highly suggest LW/Engi.
    LW also brings some utility to the raid via drums of speed. I'd say its easily in the top 3 professions.