Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Any piece of information about a person, including modifications to their body, be it cosmetic or not helps paint a complete picture of their person.

I wouldn't hire someone with visible tattoos... Or rather, tattoos that couldn't be covered.

It reeks of poor foresight.

Tattoos that can be covered, however, go for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Any piece of information about a person, including modifications to their body, be it cosmetic or not helps paint a complete picture of their person.
    So what does tattoos or piercings saY?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Hypocritical? Maybe I don't get these people then and they really feel ugly and have low self esteem because they don't have tattoos. Is that what you're saying?

Otherwise, Im fairly certain you placed tattoos in the same category as makeup, jewelery, clothes etc. One is fixing a flaw, the other is vanity. And yes, I find putting ink permanently under your skin or making holes there for metal bolts too extreme for vanity reason only.
    Like I said, you obviously don't understand tattoos at all.

Hypocritical? Maybe I don't get these people then and they really feel ugly and have low self esteem because they don't have tattoos. Is that what you're saying?

Otherwise, Im fairly certain you placed tattoos in the same category as makeup, jewelery, clothes etc. One is fixing a flaw, the other is vanity. And yes, I find putting ink permanently under your skin or making holes there for metal bolts too extreme for vanity reason only.
    You don't get it, because you personally don't like tattoos. Which is your opinion, others disagree, and you have every right to have that opinion. But when you start projecting your views into others and reason why they do things based on your personality it gets a bit silly. You are what people call narrow minded, unable to put yourself in another persons shoe and see their decisions based on their taste and preferences.

You don't like tattoos and I don't like red heads. Both are opinions based on nothing but taste. The difference is that I don't think there is something wrong with people who do like red heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    So what does tattoos or piercings saY?
    They say, "I like to decorate." or if it's in bad taste, "I have poor judgement."

Yes, hypocritical. You are. You are unable to see things beyond your own tastes and are generalizing based on that.
    You find people with tat's disgusting, I find narrow-minded judgemental attitudes like yours disgusting.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    You don't get it, because you personally don't like tattoos. Which is your opinion, others disagree, and you have every right to have that opinion. But when you start projecting your views into others and reason why they do things based on your personality it gets a bit silly. You are what people call narrow minded, unable to put yourself in another persons shoe and see their decisions based on their taste and preferences.

You don't like tattoos and I don't like red heads. Both are opinions based on nothing but taste. The difference is that I don't think there is something wrong with people who do like red heads.
    I don't dislike people who like tattoos either, or even the ones who have them. Just seeing the piercings or tattoos (of course I dont check under their sleeves and other places) I just find them (tattoos, not the people) disgusting and since having them is a conscious choice, chances are high that we don't have much in common.

Deleted
    Don't judge a book by it's cover. Really harsh comments, and I think that is poor judgement and shallow mind.
    I've got plenty of tattoos... some of them are "bad" (yell'n White Trash) some "good".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DWguild View Post
    Yes, hypocritical. You are. You are unable to see things beyond your own tastes and are generalizing based on that.
    You find people with tat's disgusting, I find narrow-minded judgemental attitudes like yours disgusting.
    Again jumping to conclusions.. I don't find the people disgusting, just the tattoos.

It's the same as seeing a morbidly obese person. It says a lot about the person as well and if you happen to be a health nut for example, it would be best to avoid more contact than necessary with them as the chances are high that you have nothing in common and very different views and opinions about everything
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-01-14 at 10:21 PM.

Everybody judges, as do I.

Difference is, some judge them negatively. I only do so if they have A. a weird tattoo B. an exceedingly large tattoo or C. a tattoo in a weird place (top of the head for example). Or a combination of all three :P

A butterfly on the ankle is something I would judge positively as nice taste. A rifle down the arm is something I'd just negatively as dumb.

I don't dislike people who like tattoos either, or even the ones who have them. Just seeing the piercings or tattoos (of course I dont check under their sleeves and other places) I just find them (tattoos, not the people) disgusting and since having them is a conscious choice, chances are high that we don't have much in common.
    Which is completely fair, with the exception of the fact that it isn't just one type of people who get tattoos. Some people get it because it's in or cool, some people get excited by the fact that it's so permanent and radical, some might get them on a vim on a vacation, some thinks about it for years to form the perfect motive they want, some get it because they want to express them-self in that way, some get them because they find them pretty, some to remember something or someone important to them like a dead loved one and so on.

I know people with tattoos who are doctors, lawyers, shop workers, personal trainers, truck drivers, soldiers, waitresses, shrinks and so on. I know people with tattoos that drink, some who don't, some who like football some who don't, some who boxes some who don't, some who likes litterateur and some who don't, some that play poker and some who don't.

Again jumping to conclusions.. I don't find the people disgusting, just the tattoos.

It's the same as seeing a morbidly obese person. It says a lot about the person as well and if you happen to be a health nut for example, it would be best to avoid more contact than necessary with them as the chances are high that you have nothing in common and very different views and opinions about everything
    I don't know. I'm a health nut and I have friends of all shapes and sizes. It sounds like you are assuming core character traits based on outward appearance, which is silly at best.

---------- Post added 2013-01-14 at 05:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by blib View Post
    I know people with tattoos who are doctors, lawyers, shop workers, personal trainers, truck drivers, soldiers, waitresses, shrinks and so on. I know people with tattoos that drink, some who don't, some who like football some who don't, some who boxes some who don't, some who likes litterateur and some who don't, some that play poker and some who don't.
    Essentially this. I doubt there is any unifying trait of people who have tattoos, piercing, other body mods, etc...

10+ Year Old Account

mutilating yourself with art is despicable.
    I find it wrong and disgusting
    not having respect for themselves and sort of like animal branding
    Finding them despicable and finding the act of getting them disgusting is being ignorantly judgmental. You ARE judging people for having them whether you want to believe you are or not. Just reread through your own posts.

Saying 'I don't like them and wouldn't get them' is fine. Saying everyone who does don't respect themselves, are despicable, and are doing some wrong and disgusting is ridiculous, petty, and kind of sad.

Also, I work out all the time and am in good shape. I don't see an obese person and assume I won't like them. I get to know them to see if I won't like them. Being stuck up about things a lot of people are stuck up about is still being stuck up.
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2013-01-14 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends of what you have..and where you have it.

I sometimes judge people with tattoo on their face or genitalia..

but most of the time i don't mind. I have a big tribal on my right arms so...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigrun33 View Post
    I don't know. I'm a health nut and I have friends of all shapes and sizes. It sounds like you are assuming core character traits based on outward appearance, which is silly at best.
    Ok, fine, I admit, you got me there. So do I actually.. they have some great traits but I still don't approve what they've done with themselves and it's best to avoid these topics with them as it will end up in the usual "I have bad genes", "no youre just lazy, it's not hard to watch the calories a little" argument that leads nowhere..

So I guess people who have tattoos could be otherwise ok, I'll give you that much. Still I find tattoos disgusting so I cant help but judge them because of it before getting to know them at least.

I probably do, not for getting the tattoo itself, but sometimes maybe for the motive. Which feels kinda wrong since I'm tattooed myself and know better then to think that it has anything to do with intelligence, ambitions or whatever.

I do think writing a novel for every piece is pretty over the top. Fine if you needed to help you deal with something and thereby have a story, but liking a design is enough in my opinion.
    "Fame was like a drug. But what was even more like a drug were the drugs."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Also, I work out all the time and am in good shape. I don't see an obese person and assume I won't like them. I get to know them to see if I won't like them. Being stuck up about things a lot of people are stuck up about is still being stuck up.
    Yea, I guess I am, but aren't you? Are you saying you dont judge anyone based on their appearance at all, especially if it's their own choice? I just think our "whats too extreme" level is different. Let's take it up a notch and say you saw someone who has tattooed themselves green, cut off 2 fingers and wore a frog suit? No bias at all right? Completely mentally sound and you'd treat that person like anyone else?

But sure, I did reread those posts and maybe I was too harsh and opinionated. It's a very negative thing for me and hard to overlook and would probably cause some lectures and arguments if I became friends with someone with tattoos. Nobody is perfect though including me and I try to be reasonable so it could just end up as a "lets agree to disagree and leave it at that" topics.
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-01-14 at 10:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I guess I am, but aren't you? Are you saying you dont judge anyone based on their appearance at all, especially if it's their own choice? I just think our "whats too extreme" level is different. Let's take it up a notch and say you saw someone who has tattooed themselves green, cut off 2 fingers and wore a frog suit? No bias at all right? Completely mentally sound and you'd treat that person like anyone else?
    If the person looks like he's nutty I'd stay away from him but lets not compare someone obviously mentally ill to basic body modification. Outside of that I don't care what people do/wear. That's their choice and it doesn't have anything to do with me at all.

Lizard man, I wouldn't judge him any differently than anyone else. Someone with 90% of their face pierced, idc. If you wear clothes from the 20's, if you like pink hair, if you are fat, tall, short, thin, wear glasses, or anything else idc.

It comes down to this:
    If you are a random stranger that I'm not going to have any contact with idc what you look like. It has nothing to do with me. I don't judge because idc. Your pink hair does nothing to me or have any influence on my life.

If you are my peer in some way where I have to have contact with you, I still don't care. I'll learn what kind of person you actually are and base my opinion of you off that.

I can't stand tattoos or piercings. Typical ear piercings are the only ones I don't get bothered by, and the cartilage ones don't bother me TOO much, but that's because I basically grew up in a culture where they were commonplace. However, eyebrow, nose, lip, and belly button rings bother me. Gauges as well. Tattoos are probably the worst of the bunch, though.