Page 1 of 40
... LastLast

Why are the orcs and draenei still at war?

So, orcs and draenei use to prance around Draenor picking flowers until the demons came and corrupted the orcs forcing them to genocide draenei so now that the orcs have their minds back they are still at war.

I mean, Germany had their last genocide about 70 years ago and they're now allies with all of their targets. And the Germans weren't even corrupted by intergalactic demons. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    I mean, Germany had their last genocide about 70 years ago and they're now allies with all of their targets. And the Germans weren't even corrupted by intergalactic demons. >.<
    i just laughed so hard. thanks for that. But yeah because the draenei are sad about it and the orcs are still very angry at everything

Because one race allied with the Alliance and the other with the Horde.
    Which are two factions at war.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its because the orcs almost wiped the draenei to extinction.

World of Warcraft is not Earth. The orcs are not Germany. The draenei are not only big on demon hate, including much of anything that's been tainted by it, but have also formed alliances with an organization which is at war with the Horde.

well since they first came to Azeroth to join the alliance and take some anger out on the orcs to begin with, i see no reason they should be friends based purely on the fact they are under the command of the high king and orcs are the poster child of the horde. go to outland or in several factions and you will see orcs and draenei are in deed friendly with each other. but thats not the case with the ones that have pledged to fight for the alliance.

Deleted
    The Draenei joined the Alliance and that binds them to this war. I don't think the Draenei are the kind of people that can not let something like this go.

Draenei came to Draenor (the home world of the orcs) from Argos, and the legion followed the Draenei. The legion made the orcs green.

How do you forgive an entire race for basically dooming you to years of brutal bloodlust, sure the orcs were already a fairly brutal race but nothing like what they were after the legion got their hands on them and had them drink Mannaroth's blood (twice)
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I'd like to think that there are some draenei who look to the orcs as they were in the new horde (prior to Garrosh) and saw that they had come back into their own. However, they were aligned against them due to other reasons. With Garrosh taking power, I think that they began to see the same change of philosophy and behavior that happened back on Draenor.

Out of all of the races of the Alliance, I would say it's the draenei who would be first to forgive, if the orcs truly repented for this relapse... If only because Velen's a very forgiving person and the draenei hold him in great respect and honor.

I'm a little hesitant about the topic because you're bringing the Holocaust into it. I really don't like comparing real tragedies with fictional ones.

However, without wanting to downplay anything the happened during those events, we need to keep in mind several things about the Draenei/Fel Orc conflict:

1.)
    80% of the Draenei population was killed during the war, a ludicrously high percentage. There would be very, very few Draenei whose lives or family were not directly affected.

2.) Draenei live for thousands upon thousands of years. The vast majority of the able bodied and influential Draenei that we know today were alive and adults during the conflict.

In addition, they are now part of the Alliance, which keeps them in our war.

From WoWWikki:

"As far as interracial relations go, the draenei still distrust or in some cases hate the orcs after having lost so many of their kind when the orcs turned on them. Certain characteristics of modern orcs, such as their still-green skin and the fact that some still practice warlock magic (though their new allies, the humans and the gnomes, are also guilty of this), as well as personal grudges on both sides, make the road to forgiveness difficult, regardless of whatever peace initiatives Velen or Thrall are willing to launch. Nevertheless there are still cases of acceptance between the two; for instance, the Horde aligned Earthen Ring has accepted draenei and Broken shamans to heal Outland."

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Draenei came to Draenor (the home world of the orcs) from Argos, and the legion followed the Draenei. The legion made the orcs green.

How do you forgive an entire race for basically dooming you to years of brutal bloodlust, sure the orcs were already a fairly brutal race but nothing like what they were after the legion got their hands on them and had them drink Mannaroth's blood (twice)
    Because back in Thrall's New Horde, they resented their past deeds... and they never blamed the draenei for what happened. They blamed themselves. Take a look at the dialogue from people like Saurfang and Eitrigg. They're fairly penitent about what they did under the Old Horde.

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Because back in Thrall's New Horde, they resented their past deeds... and they never blamed the draenei for what happened. They blamed themselves. Take a look at the dialogue from people like Saurfang and Eitrigg. They're fairly penitent about what they did under the Old Horde.
    But not all Orcs are like Saurfang and Eitrigg though, in fact it seems the ones that are would be the exception.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    Have they ever shown any of that to the Draenei?

this is true that the orcs or at least a few that feel horrible for what they have done, but the Draenei are somewhat to blame for what happened. that sounds bad but they knew full well that the legion was coming for them when they left Argus. if they didn't corrupt the orcs they sure as hell would have wiped them out simply for them being on the same planet the Draenei were on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    But not all Orcs are like Saurfang and Eitrigg though, in fact it seems the ones that are would be the exception.
    And yet none of them, so far to my knowledge, actually blame the draenei. Again it was very much the idea of the horde under thrall that their bloodlust was their own fault. Tis just that the younger generation is ignoring the mistakes of the older.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Not anything set in stone, though I'm sure it'd have been done behind the scenes of dictated lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    this is true that the orcs or at least a few that feel horrible for what they have done, but the Draenei are somewhat to blame for what happened. that sounds bad but they knew full well that the legion was coming for them when they left Argus. if they didn't corrupt the orcs they sure as hell would have wiped them out simply for them being on the same planet the Draenei were on.
    Whether it is true or not is beside the point, when we're discussing what the orcs think, though. If they blame themselves for their bloodlust then they blame themselves for their bloodlust. I mean, yeah arguably it's true... but it's not exactly pertinent due to already-stated lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    depends of if they would listen, like it was said previously they either mistrust or out right hate orcs in general.

Because the plot demands it

Whether it is true or not is beside the point, when we're discussing what the orcs think, though. If they blame themselves for their bloodlust then they blame themselves for their bloodlust. I mean, yeah arguably it's true... but it's not exactly pertinent due to already-stated lore.
    which is a real show of character if you ask me.

Because like the majority of Alliance races, the Draeni are a prejudice lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kayb View Post
    Because like the majority of Alliance races, the Draeni are a prejudice lot
    garry says hi