The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Any way to control Youtube Recommendations?

Note: I use Firefox.

Is there any way I can edit my Youtube recommedations? I mean by removing some I know I don't want to watch, blocking a particular user's videos entirely, and so on.

I used to be able to prevent all of a user's videos from showing up by using Youtube Blacklist, but at the latest version this doesn't seem to work under the more recent Youtube revamps. Even if there was an addon that would let me remove videos I know I don't want to watch from the recommendations, I'd be pretty happy! Alas I can find nothing.

I'd actually quite like the recommendations feature, except it's often half full with garbage that's barely related to some video I watched two weeks ago and didn't think much of. Le sigh.

Anyone have any tips?

15+ Year Old Account
    If some has an answer, i would also be interested. Using Opera.

Since about 2 weeks, there is one video "fail compilation 2012" (title picture is that of a girl in a black bikini) or something like that, that is in basically all recommendations somewhere in the top 5. It really pisses me off.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    If some has an answer, i would also be interested. Using Opera.

Since about 2 weeks, there is one video "fail compilation 2012" (title picture is that of a girl in a black bikini) or something like that, that is in basically all recommendations somewhere in the top 5. It really pisses me off.
    ... But that's awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    ... But that's awesome
    No it isn't, it's annoying trash content.

I'm interested too, I keep getting recommended videos on stuff I've already watched in the past. :/
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

I want the "blacklist a user's videos from showing up in searches... forever" option. That sounds great!

Maybe even verbatim phrase/tag blocking and "must have all of these words" blocking! That way I can block people that do this to every single video they upload whether the video has anything to do with any of these cpus/gpus or not:

GTX590 GTX670 GTX680 GTX690 nvidia geforce 2500k 2600k 2700k 3960X 3930 3750 3770 3770k "ivy bridge" mtvkriar91 "sandy bridge ...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that's frustrated by this! It's pretty shoddy if a company like Google can't even find better recommendations for me than stuff I've already watched or 10 minute videos of people falling over. I'm getting those "Fail Compilation" videos showing up quite often too, despite never watching them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    No it isn't, it's annoying trash content.

I'm interested too, I keep getting recommended videos on stuff I've already watched in the past. :/
    I actually find those amusing but I agree it would be nice to know if you can influence it.

Deleted
    Use their service more and they'll be able to build a better profile on you, what you watch, what you fav, what like, what you dislike etc, all of those things add up to better recommendations for you.

Edit: Look at me talking as if I actually knew; I'd assume that's how they operate because, well, it'd be real weird if they aren't.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    Use their service more and they'll be able to build a better profile on you, what you watch, what you fav, what like, what you dislike etc, all of those things add up to better recommendations for you.

Edit: Look at me talking as if I actually knew; I'd assume that's how they operate because, well, it'd be real weird if they aren't.
    I guess you're right. I do watch a lot of videos, but I could make more use of the Like/Dislike buttons. It would just be nice to be able to remove recommendations without even viewing them, or to block all videos from users you know are idiots etc. Ah well, it seems not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mest View Post
    Etc
    What this MOSTLY achieves so far, far as I've seen, is that you get recommended steadily more of... things you never watched because you didn't want to. I like Dota 2 with TB. However, most other channels running Dota 2 commentary? No, I just can't seem to enjoy that.

Or better yet, it'll present you with those very same videos... that you already watched.

To be fair, any kind of "profile algorithm" is to me just creepy to begin with, and it really doesn't help that their calibration is worse than Blizzard. For example, I like a lot of anime. However, mostly any YouTube algorithm will get your flavor of video very wrong if that's what it's going by... because not every anime is meant to be watched.