Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    Blaming violent video games is no different than blaming guns and putting crisis actors like Robbie Parker on TV to advocate gun control the day of the shootings. The NRA may be hypocrites, but the nogunz crowd are just as bad, if not worse.

How come the media aren't talking about Americans overuse of psychotropic drugs and their side effects? Or how they have turned these mass killings into a sort of competition, giving the shooters lots of coverage and fame?
    Because they are either not allowed to or won't pay the money the Tobacco, Alcohol, Pharmaceutical, or Entertainment industry will pay. Yet, the majority of those industries kill more people annually.

I bet if Glock was willing to pay $4,000,000 for a spot during the Super Bowl each year they wouldn't be so demonized.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    And then, weeks later, released their own video game that similarly promotes violence, and was recommended to children as young as 4.

Hence the hypocrisy.
    Read the original post. The NRA didn't release it. The NRA along with a software developer created it and submitted it to Apple an unknown time ago and potentailly easily before Sandy Hook.

APPLE released it in their own time.
    APPLE chose the User Rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Are you defending your stance that the NRA didn't blame the media, by saying it only lasted for 90 seconds?
    No. You're not following this argument closely enough.

Media : Guns are to blame for all of this.
    NRA : That's funny because aren't you the ones who promote the use of violence for every cent you can possibly make?
    Media : FUCK YOU NRA!

To be fair, the NRA stance wasn't that much different from most gun owners that while the gun is the tool the promotion of the acts are thanks to the media in a variety of sources. The only "argument" is retarded after that because it would rather focus on number reduction over elimination and that was the hypocrisy the media didn't like.

Media : Yeah well there would have been less deaths if it weren't for you.
    NRA : Would they even have decided to kill if it weren't for you?
    Media : Yeah well if there weren't "Assault Weapons" there wouldn't have been 20 kids dead.
    ME : So 3 or 5 dead kids would have been "ok" because it was without a gun and so we can keep shitty media unregulated?
    Last edited by cz75fan; 2013-01-15 at 07:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cz75fan View Post
    Because they are either not allowed to or won't pay the money the Tobacco, Alcohol, Pharmaceutical, or Entertainment industry will pay. Yet, the majority of those industries kill more people annually.
    Tobacco already pays astronomical prices, alcohol and Pharmaceudicals are strongly regulated. Entertainment industry is also strongly regulated, as a kid cannot even buy any of the games NRA listed without parental concent. If guns were as harshly taxed or regulated as everything you listed, we would not be having this debate.

Read the original post. The NRA didn't release it. The NRA along with a software developer created it and submitted it to Apple an unknown time ago and potentailly easily before Sandy Hook.

What does the time have to do with it? NRA released the game. The user rating was known to NRA and they could have pulled the app to fix the rating within hours. The pull process is very fast, as it does not require certification testing prior to publishing it. The NRA could have avoided this hypocrisy, by simply not blaming games, when they had their own game in the process of being published. Both of those are nonsense excuses...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

As a gun owner I hate the NRA. They've been the top lobby group for so long they've gotten lazy. They use the most foolish diversion tactics and the biggest bunch of lame duck counter points and its because they have so much, money, power and influence they get arrogant. The facts are that the controlling lobbies will decide how things go in our government and NRA is one of the big 4 now. Guns, Energy, and Sin in general (not religious sin, but political sin; Alcohol, tobacco, gambling. Comes from the term sin tax, also not Sintax like in coding.) The NRA is a terrible group; at just about anything they do they sound like their backers instead of like an intouch group with intelligent plans. Instead, they sound like old white guys who give you the middle finger drop a few grand at your feet and hand you a big bowl of shit to eat and you eat it take your money and go.

Other side and the other big reality is the media and the government as a whole are responsible for the increase in outburst violence along with piss poor parenting when it comes to kids who engage in these atrocious acts. The Media and the government have been pumping our country full of fear, distrust, and hopelessness for a decade and a half now. Along with telling parents and adults that 40 is the new 20 and 50 is the new 30. Bullshit, go home take care of your kids stop acting like teenagers looking to get fucked and fucked up. Raise your children and put your social shit behind you. Since 9/11 all you hear on TV is how someone is coming to get you, no one is safe, the world is going into the shitter and your helpless to do anything about it but bend over and get fucked. This whole mentality breeds people scared of each other who believe there is no better tomorrow. We should really hang the media out to dry first and foremost and hold them to truth. There should be a requirement of fact checking and proof for any show that is considered "news." The end isn't coming tomorrow, this country has survived much, much, much worse and come out the end better for it. Fuck the NRA, fuck the media, and fuck the government for doing nothing but pouring fuel on the fire for 10 years. People should go home turn off the news and never turn it on again. You are better off using a website at least then you get to choose what you are bombarded by. Learn the facts and remember the world isn't collapsing, no one is coming to get you and things get better.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-01-15 at 07:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I still don't understand why you don't see that what you're doing here is exactly the kind of "spin" you created this thread to complain about.

The facts are very simple. The NRA put part of the blame on the video game industry for creating violent video games. They also created a violent video game. This makes them either hypocrites, or opportunistic liars. That's not spin, that's recognizing that two facts are contradictory.

Trying to draw fallacious distinctions like "they didn't release the game, they just created it and gave it to Apple to release" is exactly what is meant by "spin".

As I've said in other threads, I'm pro-gun. I'm not attacking the idea of gun ownership, here. I've used guns in a professional capacity.

That doesn't mean the NRA aren't a bunch of agenda-pursuing hypocrites.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. You're not following this argument closely enough.

Media : Guns are to blame for all of this.
    NRA : That's funny because aren't you the ones who promote the use of violence for every cent you can possibly make?
    Media : FUCK YOU NRA!

To be fair, the NRA stance wasn't that much different from most gun owners that while the gun is the tool the promotion of the acts are thanks to the media in a variety of sources. The only "argument" is retarded after that because it would rather focus on number reduction over elimination and that was the hypocrisy the media didn't like.

Media : Yeah well there would have been less deaths if it weren't for you.
    NRA : Would they even have decided to kill if it weren't for you?
    Media : Yeah well if there weren't "Assault Weapons" there wouldn't have been 20 kids dead.
    ME : So 3 or 5 dead kids would have been "ok" because it was without a gun and so we can keep shitty media unregulated?
    Why are you making up an argument, when you can quote it? I am following the argument, I'm just not having imaginary debates and instead stick to what is actually said.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What does the time have to do with it? NRA released the game. The user rating was known to NRA and they could have pulled the app to fix the rating within hours. The pull process is very fast, as it does not require certification testing prior to publishing it. The NRA could have avoided this hypocrisy, by simply not blaming games, when they had their own game in the process of being published. Both of those are nonsense excuses...
    Which exists only if you say it does and only if you feel there is an equality between this app and that of Saints Row, the Hitman series, the Call of Duty game, or ANY OTHER M RATED GAME!

That's the issue here. This call out of the NRA only exists if the Media, and subsequently YOU, feel, believe, or buy into the idea that Mortal Kombat and Duck Hunt are equals here.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I still don't understand why you don't see that what you're doing here is exactly the kind of "spin" you created this thread to complain about.

The facts are very simple. The NRA put part of the blame on the video game industry for creating violent video games. They also created a violent video game. This makes them either hypocrites, or opportunistic liars. That's not spin, that's recognizing that two facts are contradictory.

Trying to draw fallacious distinctions like "they didn't release the game, they just created it and gave it to Apple to release" is exactly what is meant by "spin".

As I've said in other threads, I'm pro-gun. I'm not attacking the idea of gun ownership, here. I've used guns in a professional capacity.

That doesn't mean the NRA aren't a bunch of agenda-pursuing hypocrites.
    Because you're apparently dense and apart of the problem. The media is spinning this as if this App is equal to any of the games listed by myself, the NRA, and or any other complain against the "Violence" in the media ie video games. The fact that this is what we're arguing about is actually helping their cause and not the video gamers.

The fact by contrast that Duck Hunt could be considered, by apparently the measures of degree used here and by the media, as to as equal in violence level as Mortal Kombat is a part of the problem.

I really don't understand how hard that is to see that.

Which exists only if you say it does and only if you feel there is an equality between this app and that of Saints Row, the Hitman series, the Call of Duty game, or ANY OTHER M RATED GAME!

That's the issue here. This call out of the NRA only exists if the Media, and subsequently YOU, feel, believe, or buy into the idea that Mortal Kombat and Duck Hunt are equals here.

---------- Post added 2013-01-15 at 02:02 PM ----------

Because you're apparently dense and apart of the problem. The media is spinning this as if this App is equal to any of the games listed by myself, the NRA, and or any other complain against the "Violence" in the media ie video games. The fact that this is what we're arguing about is actually helping their cause and not the video gamers.

The fact by contrast that Duck Hunt could be considered, by apparently the measures of degree used here and by the media, as to as equal in violence level as Mortal Kombat is a part of the problem.

I really don't understand how hard that is to see that.
    yeah practicing killing animals as you would irl is so non violent. its only violence if theres a lot of blood and stuff.

the NRA blames video games because they encourage the use of violence. instead one should buy a gun and go to a shooting range so you'll be prepared when it comes time to actually murder someone. oh and heres a videogame for it.
    Last edited by starlord; 2013-01-15 at 08:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you're apparently dense and apart of the problem.
    Because insulting people who don't blindly agree with you is a great way to make your point.

Though it did make me take a step back and realize I'm arguing about the "spin" on gun rights issues with a guy whose forum name is "CZ 75 fan". It's kind of like a guy named "bacon4ever" trying to complain about the media's "vegan spin" on things.

The media is spinning this as if this App is equal to any of the games listed by myself, the NRA, and or any other complain against the "Violence" in the media ie video games. The fact that this is what we're arguing about is actually helping their cause and not the video gamers.

The idea that video games caused any of these incidents, or violent behaviour in general, that's the fallacy here. It's not true, and it's been contradicted by pretty much every reputable study on the subject.

If you DO want to believe that falsehood, though, it makes you a hypocrite if you then release a video game that encourages the same kind of violence. Sure, it's not named "Gundeath McSchoolShooty", but it's still encouraging you to shoot at human-shaped targets for points. That's the entire central issue that's raised by the "video games cause violence" crowd. It's malarkey, but that's their argument.

This just seems like a parody of sensationalism media, but they are also calling out the NRA on their hypocrisy.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Video games create violent people?

I played GTA at SUPER young ages (like 10-13) with my mother. We used to block streets off by spawning tanks then when enough traffic built up we used to use the destroy all cars cheat and watch the world explode into shit. We used to use the girl follow cheat and slice their heads off/kill them in creative ways and lots more. We both had a lot of fun and it made very unique memories for me to remember ^^ I've not turned out violent at all and I'd never imagine doing such things in real life. (Then again being able to drop tanks out of the sky to block streets off would be pretty fun).
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.