Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, don't call the Police. There is nothing they can do, they are a purely reaction based force who cannot interfere unless a crime has been committed . Leave them alone. Why in this day and age do people not understand that 911 is to be used in emergency situations when nothing else is available?

When did Police Officers became the first response instead of the last response?

"My neighbour is too loud, Call the Police!"
    "Someone threatened me verbally, Call the Police!"
    "Someone stole my bike, I have no evidence who did it or where they went, I'll call the Police!"

Our society relies far too heavily on Police Officers to do jobs they aren't trained to do. Police do not fight crime, they clean up crime. What do you guys think some Police Officers are going to do about a verbal threat? Arrest him? For what? A crime he hasn't committed? Tell them to leave you alone? Well isn't that a productive use of their time.

/rant

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    No, don't call the Police. There is nothing they can do, they are a purely reaction based force who cannot interfere unless a crime has been committed . Leave them alone. Why in this day and age do people not understand that 911 is to be used in emergency situations when nothing else is available?

When did Police Officers became the first response instead of the last response?

"Someone stole my bike, I have no evidence who did it or where they went, I'll call the Police!"

Our society relies far too heavily on Police Officers to do jobs they aren't trained to do. Police do not fight crime, they clean up crime. What do you guys think some Police Officers are going to do about a verbal threat? Arrest him? For what? A crime he hasn't committed? Tell them to leave you alone? Well isn't that a productive use of their time.

/rant
    Might want to fresh up on your legalities, in some countries this sort of thing is easily punishable by law. This applies to your other examples as well. Also nowhere was it said that he'd be calling the emergency number, you can inform the police through other channels as well you know.

Edit; that being said I agree on the sentiment of not wasting EMERGENCY services' time on stuff like this, but nowhere was it said that this is an emergency, you decided to rant about it on your own without provocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Tell the police, threats like that are usually taken pretty seriously. Especially since he has said he has done it before.
    Tell the police? That is crazy talk.

Better to ask for advice on a MMO web subforum.

/rant
    Threatening to murder somebody, or to have somebody murder a person is a crime, and you can land a prison sentence for the threat, and murder charges if your hitman does the job. The police should take the threat seriously and haul the guy/girl in for questioning and/or charges if they are doing their jobs. Heck, the boasting about having had a hit carried out is probably enough to land you in prison for a long time.

Go down to the local police station, and tell them what happened. You don't want anybody to turn up dead now, do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Threatening to murder somebody, or to have somebody murder a person is a crime, and you can land a prison sentence for the threat, and murder charges if your hitman does the job. The police should take the threat seriously and haul the guy/girl in for questioning and/or charges if they are doing their jobs. Heck, the boasting about having had a hit carried out is probably enough to land you in prison for a long time.

Go down to the local police station, and tell them what happened. You don't want anybody to turn up dead now, do you?
    So what ? They can haul them in and question them, maybe even charge them. The thing is, they'll be walking about the next day and could still easily set up a hit. The Police cannot punish him from carrying out a hit until they have substantial evidence he plans to do one or the crime is committed.

Calling the Police is an utter waste of time in this situation.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 01:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Might want to fresh up on your legalities, in some countries this sort of thing is easily punishable by law. This applies to your other examples as well. Also nowhere was it said that he'd be calling the emergency number, you can inform the police through other channels as well you know.
    It's not that these actions are not punishable by law, it's that the Police cannot do anything to act upon them.

If somebody steals your bike calling the Police accomplishes nothing unless you know exactly who did it and where they've gone. In such a situation what do you expect the Police to do?

Neighbour making noise? Sure it may be punishable, probably not though. They'll tell you they'll look into and just not bother coming unless the complaints begin piling up. Why? Because it isn't an emergency and they have far better things to focus their time on.

Someone verbally threatened to punch you in the face? What are the police going to do about that? Tell him to stop?

So what ? They can haul them in and question them, maybe even charge them. The thing is, they'll be walking about the next day and could still easily set up a hit. The Police cannot punish him from carrying out a hit until they have substantial evidence he plans to do one or the crime is committed.

Do you really think he will dare to kill him if the police has him as a suspect? No one is that stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Do you really think he will dare to kill him if the police has him as a suspect? No one is that stupid.
    This is under the assumption that the Police even bother responding to one of the multitude of calls they get a day about verbal threats.

Deleted

/rant
    Huh.. If you threaten someone in Sweden atleast, you can go to prison.

Deleted

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 01:15 AM ----------

It's not that these actions are not punishable by law, it's that the Police cannot do anything to act upon them.

If somebody steals your bike calling the Police accomplishes nothing unless you know exactly who did it and where they've gone. In such a situation what do you expect the Police to do?

Neighbour making noise? Sure it may be punishable, probably not though. They'll tell you they'll look into and just not bother coming unless the complaints begin piling up. Why? Because it isn't an emergency and they have far better things to focus their time on.

Someone verbally threatened to punch you in the face? What are the police going to do about that? Tell him to stop?
    No idea where you live, but that doesn't apply here. And seeing as OPs location is unknown you can't apply your standards to his either. Your laws/policework isn't how things are done globally, you really need to understand that. Also you're grossly underestimating what modern police can do.

As for your other examples, all the lost&found bikes end up at the police, so obviously I'll report my bike stolen even if I don't know who took it, so cops can inform me if it shows up at their lot. Not to mention the ramifications for insurance company if I don't do the policereport, then I won't get compensation.
    My downstairs neighbour makes a crapton of noise with his delinquent just-out-of-jail brother in the middle of the night, I call the police, they're here in 10-15 minutes. Again, not every place has murders and rapes and all that all the time, so police can actually do some peacekeeping while taking a break from eating donuts.
    Also this verbal threat in the OP is a bit more than "I'll punch you in the face".

You really must live in a bubble or just base your views on policework what the TV says.

10+ Year Old Account
    this someone will be arrested and most likely end up in court.

you are full of yourself. dont speak on matters you know nothing about. threats are serious.

/rant

911 isn't the only way to get ahold of the police. Just because you don't need emergency service right away doesn't mean that they cannot do anything for you. If ppl are saying call 911 then that is too far and nothing will be done, even more so this story is coming from the spouse not a direct threat. That doesn't mean don't contact the police and in this case you would almost certainly have to go down to the station to file a complaint of some sort.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    911 isn't the only way to get ahold of the police. Just because you don't need emergency service right away doesn't mean that they cannot do anything for you. If ppl are saying call 911 then that is too far and nothing will be done, even more so this story is coming from the spouse not a direct threat. That doesn't mean don't contact the police and in this case you would almost certainly have to go down to the station to file a complaint of some sort.
    This. If some rich guy threatens to cast a hit on me, you can be sure that I will file a police report. Money can buy many things and if he said he did it before, you better not take any risk and simply report him to the police.

If he isn't some sort of Mafia boss, and I guess he isn't, it should be enough to scare him off.

/rant
    You clearly don't know how the police work. But sure, telling the police that someone threatened to kill you and another person is just like complaining about your neighbor being too loud. Absolutely right, bang on, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    You clearly don't know how the police work. But sure, telling the police that someone threatened to kill you and another person is just like complaining about your neighbor being too loud. Absolutely right, bang on, mate.
    Especially if a rich guy threatens you.

The problem with rich guys is that they are rich. Money can buy almost anything.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well first off, People saying 5K wouldn't get it done, don't be silly, less than 1k would get it done, and has done before, Just get some junkie and easy stuff
    I personally wouldn't call the police, But if you live somewhere where you think the police can actually help then do it if it makes you feel better, Or just try and do some research on this guy, see if you can find out who he is, the other issue is if it was said jokingly to her, and you report him, that's going to make alot of tension for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Well first off, People saying 5K wouldn't get it done, don't be silly, less than 1k would get it done, and has done before, Just get some junkie and easy stuff
    I personally wouldn't call the police, But if you live somewhere where you think the police can actually help then do it if it makes you feel better, Or just try and do some research on this guy, see if you can find out who he is, the other issue is if it was said jokingly to her, and you report him, that's going to make alot of tension for no reason
    If I was rich I wouldn't hire a junkie to get it done. They can't get it done professionally and once they are caught, they will sell you off to the police to lessen their prison time.

If action movies and news reports online are somewhat accurate, a good hitman can cost you anything from 10.000€ to ∞ €.

15+ Year Old Account
    It should be a given that you call the police when someone threatens to kill you and your friend!

Making death threats is a serious crime whether they mean it or not.

Do not ask a gaming forum for help on this. Call the police and report it today.

Standard price is $20,000 American.

The guy is clearly lying/joking. Sack up.

On the 1% chance that he is serious, be ready to fight off a skinny crackhead or something.
    Last edited by LiiLoSNK; 2013-01-16 at 11:46 AM.

When people threaten me and my life I advise them to do it, that they would be doing me a favor, hell Id be happy if you did.

Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    When people threaten me and my life I advise them to do it, that they would be doing me a favor, hell Id be happy if you did.
    20 grand and you got a deal.