Poll: Should NASA have a higher budget?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Right now times are tough, so I'd say no for now.
    But I'd say people should be able to donate tax-deductable specifically to NASA.

you will see no drastic improvements in space in your lifetime, spending all the money now for something your great great great great great great grandkids see[maybe shorter or longer] really worth it? I agree that space needs to be explored, but you shouldnt force people to pay for it. This is what's wrong with the world, people are more obsessed with looking like that person on a cover of a magazine than exercising any usefull knowledge.

in short ; i believe every person on this planet should be a scientist in some way or another, that's the only way to truely get progress

10+ Year Old Account
    NASA needs to get its shit together just like Congress needs to get its shit together. Look at how much NASA has accomplish (aiding SpaceX) when they don't really have a job. NASA failed at getting Congress excited about space with its shuttle mishaps and reducing the shuttle to a ISS ferry when Russia has a much cheaper alternative for that job. I am by no means saying NASA is useless. I am from the Space Coast, I have tons of NASA "swag", I sad to see the shuttles go, NASA does need more money. But they aren't doing a good job at convincing people that they need more money. Again, look at what SpaceX has been able to do as a private company. And seeing how the Air Force now has the X-37B, Congress is going to be shoveling even more money that way.

Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Right now times are tough, so I'd say no for now.
    But I'd say people should be able to donate tax-deductable specifically to NASA.
    That is actually a really cool idea. Like 401k withholding or something, you can donate directly to NASA or even directly to specific NASA projects?

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Indeed, along with the fact that NASA doesn't just purely do "space stuff", which some people seem to think.
    National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I know a guy who worked there for two years who was pretty much mapping different concentrations of particles through air over the pacific ocean and comparing it to mapping they did in the seventies and eighties to see what has changed in an attempt to determine future weather and jetstream patterns.

It seems like a cool (if slightly boring doing the actual mapping) project.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Here's a podcast from the Joe Rogan Experience with Neil. Good stuff here. I could listen to these guys for days.
    Joe Rogan denies the Apollo landings happened. Tyson has my utmost respect, but I don't think any mention of Rogan belongs in a thread about NASA.

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    I keep seeing people talk about all the innovations and technological advances, yet as I do my research I find that every single one of them (100% for you non readers) were being worked on by the private sector, NOT sucking up our money that could be much better used elsewhere. In most cases the private companies were ahead on the research and implementation side, the few others they were equal.
    Read this and get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    you will see no drastic improvements in space in your lifetime, spending all the money now for something your great great great great great great grandkids see[maybe shorter or longer] really worth it? I agree that space needs to be explored, but you shouldnt force people to pay for it. This is what's wrong with the world, people are more obsessed with looking like that person on a cover of a magazine than exercising any usefull knowledge.
    How old are you? I'm guessing not that old. Meaning, you WILL see PLENTY of advances in science in your lifetime. These are tied to exploration of space. (which is not the only thing NASA does) I feel like this mentality, "If it doesn't help me directly, even if it helps the next generation, I don't care" is a better example of what's wrong with the world. Things like Social Security being a mess, and the US national debt fall squarely in line with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    cut the military in half

give it to nasa

moon colony

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wdmshmo View Post
    NASA should be the budget.

Welfare, healthcare, warfare, who cares. Science fair is where it's at.
    That made me giggle :-P

Definitely. We need to be more space-oriented. We need to get off this rock and go ruin another planet or two :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That made me giggle :-P

Definitely. We need to be more space-oriented. We need to get off this rock and go ruin another planet or two :-)
    if nasa got the treatment the military did.... boy would that be something

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    We would already have the death star and wouldn't need to petition for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    We would already have the death star and wouldn't need to petition for it.
    we would have more advancements

the military can only do so much in terms of technological advancement, especially since our conflict is not exactly going to spur much innovation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You'd have to find either some economical motive (space oil) or some ideological motive (space enemies) to make that happen.

Does GWB have any sons? We need someone to declare a War on Space, those War on X seem to be a great way to assure massive funding with no questions asked.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we have to get a hold on our spending first. Than yes NASA should get more funds. Just not at this present moment.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Depom View Post
    Does GWB have any sons? We need someone to declare a War on Space, those War on X seem to be a great way to assure massive funding with no questions asked.
    I heard Bin Laden escaped to Mars. Time to begin kinetic bombardment. Rods from God, go.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we can go frorm Wright brothers to the Moon in 60 years, I do think its doable in a person's lifetime to achieve another great leap, such as send some people to Mars or get something permanant on the moon if we treat NASA and science the way we should.

No, here is why.

There isn't much to do of any great importance. Minor bacteria, if that. Some very interesting, but otherwise pointless environments. We will never leave this Solar System outside of 1000 years, if then. Let the private sectors figure out the new tech, for now. As of each private sector is adapting tech to it's specific demands.

Then once the tech is more evolved then it is now. Then it might be a little more feasible, to do some easily and better searching.

Currently, we can barely get to Mars, the moon is still a challenge, as much as OUR OWN OCEAN. Why the fuck are we worried about Space? When we cannot even control our own planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why just NASA though? Maybe other countries should increase their space budgets as well. Win win for everyone.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Why just NASA though? Maybe other countries should increase their space budgets as well. Win win for everyone.
    Preferably the West should collaborate and form a united effort for space exploration. Outer space is the common heritage of all humankind after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would also like to take the time to air out how irritated I am that Houston didnt get one of the Space shuttles. I perfectly understand Florida...but not Houston?

Derp of the biggest degree imo.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Preferably the West should collaborate and form a united effort for space exploration. Outer space is the common heritage of all humankind after all.
    Bow down to the God Emperor, Heretic.