Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

T14 Zen Meditation uses

Hey guys, i play BrM as my guilds tank, and ive realized that i dont actually use Zen med all that much. We just recently took in a MW aswell and his first raid with us is tonight, so i was wondering, how can we both utilize Zen med in NORMAL mode T14 encounters? Anywhere it really shines? And if a boss isnt particularly good for Zen med, is it worth popping for that 1 90% reduced boss hit?

Deleted
    I use it to survive the massive crush on Garalon Heroic and duo whatever health he has remaining (with the resto shaman using Reincarnation).

You can also solo soak a Blade Lord Unseen Strike with it (if you have good timing). You can use it on Lei Shi to soak 5 of her attacks. You can use it on Elegon to soak a Total Annihilation (although Diffuse Magic will do the trick there too). You can also use it on Elegon to soak a breath (or Tsulong breath). On Vizier heroic you can pop it during double attenuation (be sure to have the glyph though) so you can just move through the discs. You can use it on Will heroic to soak the Titan Sparks. If you can't find anything to use it for on a boss, you can indeed use it to just soak one attack. If you time it right it's not a significant DPS loss. You can also pop it together with Avert Harm to make sure you don't die because of the spell (for example Feng epicenter).

I'm sure I can come up with more.
    Last edited by mmoc036e00a042; 2013-01-16 at 04:16 PM.

Elegon in p3 it is really good if you can time it with a breath+melee afterwards
    Lei Shi you can take abundant amounts of splashes during an add phase, so while the other tank gets the adds you just soak some, but be sure to get a taunt before the charges run out so you dont get 1 shot
    Sha you can zen med the death blossom, or a thrash
    Blade Lord you can soak the 2nd debuff if you time it really well
    Feng Arcane phase as well during the velocity
    You can always just use it to soak that 1 hit as you said, on a fight like Will during the Titan Gas

Best uses so far, Heroic Garalon Dropping Pools
    Heroic Will Titan Sparks
    Heroic Elegon soaking TA
    Tsulong as mitigation running to a light
    anywhere where your not taking a direct melee hit is great for mitigation, much like a Dispersion, and can move when glyphed

Deleted
    There are very few situations where it's useful for anyone but the monk casting it. You should think of it as a personal defensive cooldown, because it's definitely not a raid cooldown. As a personal cooldown it is useful in many situations, many of which have been mentioned above already.

If you're very vigilant, you can use it to survive a melee attack that would otherwise kill you. If you see yourself at low health and your healers need an extra second to top you off, pop it! It'll be removed by the melee swing but it will still mitigate it. This doesn't really work if you're tanking more than one thing, though.

I know you said normals, but glyphing it and cheesing Heroic Vizier Attenuation is baller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakthir90 View Post
    Hey guys, i play BrM as my guilds tank, and ive realized that i dont actually use Zen med all that much.
    Really? I can swear that Elegon's breath, Tsulong's Breath, LeiShi's spray are few of the mechanics that ZM is very nice for.

One of the few things I've found it works on beyond the 90% mitigation is Meng on Spirit Kings. While he is doing his damage reflect, you can cast Zen Meditation to soak all your raids damage reflect for the entire duration of the channel.. just make sure you pop Diffuse Magic afterwards or the stack will one-shot you!

Deleted
    Thanks for all the suggestions here guys

Quote Originally Posted by arisoh View Post
    Really? I can swear that Elegon's breath, Tsulong's Breath, LeiShi's spray are few of the mechanics that ZM is very nice for.
    Yeah i have read about Tsulong / Lei shi, and ive been using it on Elegon breath, unfortunately my guild is yet to make it into ToES so ive not had the chance to test it out

Quote Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
    I know you said normals, but glyphing it and cheesing Heroic Vizier Attenuation is baller.
    I've tried using glyphed Zen Meditation on Heroic Imperial Vizier's Attenuation and it broke prematurely. It breaks when the 5 charges are used up and sometimes they get inexplicably eaten up by random raid damage.

Are you sure it's totally reliable?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozhe View Post
    I've tried using glyphed Zen Meditation on Heroic Imperial Vizier's Attenuation and it broke prematurely. It breaks when the 5 charges are used up and sometimes they get inexplicably eaten up by random raid damage.

Are you sure it's totally reliable?
    He said to glyph it for a reason, if you're getting hit 5 times in 1 attentuation you're doing something wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lebowski View Post

How? Zen Med protects against magic but not melee. Attenuation is physical damage?

Also, wasnt there a discussion some time ago that AOE attacks aren't counted in the 'harmful spells cast against party/raid members', since they aren't directed?

I'd love to use ZM on vizier if this isn't the case.
    Last edited by arisoh; 2013-01-17 at 09:47 PM.

How? Zen Med protects against magic but not melee. Attenuation is physical damage?
    Zen meditations damage reduction applies to all damage, only the charges are eaten by (most) magical damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valsh View Post
    Zen meditations damage reduction applies to all damage, only the charges are eaten by (most) magical damage.
    Ok I just did a google search on whether ZM works on AOE. There have been people who say it works on "targetted" damage only, no real clarification though. Hmm.

Zen Med is stupid as hell in terms of doing what you'd expect it to do. That being said the only time I've had a problem on Attenuation is when I had a mouse failure and went head first into the poison gas. I'm sure I would have been dead there either way.

To clarify on glyphing it, my usual strat is to back up as far as I can, wait until the orbs close in, and then pop ZM and fly towards the center. I don't play around with the green orbs really, usually only have to bust through 2 or 3 sonic orbs.
    Last edited by lebowski; 2013-01-17 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbfoundead View Post
    He said to glyph it for a reason, if you're getting hit 5 times in 1 attentuation you're doing something wrong.
    Neither of you know how your own ability works?

Zen Meditation has 5 charges for a spell redirect. It redirects to you hostile spells targeted at friendly raid members. The channel breaks when 5 hostiles spells have been redirected. It's pretty random which spells will and won't get redirected, but I know that the charges are consumed during Attenuation and Force and Verve.

Zen Meditation protects against all damage (not just magic).

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty random which spells will and won't get redirected
    THIS is why I asked. The randomness of the spell. Plus the fact that Attenuation and F&V aren't targetting specifically to begin with make me unsure of it's use.

Plus NGL, I only use it for taking huge magic hits. Our disc priest does the rest :P.

Neither of you know how your own ability works?

Zen Meditation has 5 charges for a spell redirect. It redirects to you hostile spells targeted at friendly raid members. The channel breaks when 5 hostiles spells have been redirected. It's pretty random which spells will and won't get redirected, but I know that the charges are consumed during Attenuation and Force and Verve.

Zen Meditation protects against all damage (not just magic).
    There's nothing that Zen meditation can redirect in raids, it'll break after you take 5 hits of a skill that deducts stacks which is most skills(Lei Shi Spray, Rain of Blades, WOTE Sparks, FnV, etc)
    Last edited by Valsh; 2013-01-18 at 12:02 AM.

That seems like an unintended bug. The charges are supposed to be consumed when targeted spells are redirected. But the charges seem to be consumed by any ability that hits the monk, even non-magic and non-targeted abilities such as AOE pulses.