Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    the only thing Obama did today was regurgitate old idea's, acting like they're new, while pointing the fingers at other people and telling them to do something.
    Has he ever done anything else?

Worst leader the free world has ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    Oh look, another dog and pony show by Dear Leader where the empty suit listed 23 directives, none of which would have prevented Newtown from happening.

Oh joy.
    Sadly this is also accurate...and ironic. He surrounded himself with Newtown survivors. But not one of his ideas would have stopped the shooter from stealing the guns (which he did) and going on that rampage. The closest Obama came was the "resource officer," which might have mitigated some of the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    So he's stealing the kids text books away for pet projects?

Btw being a senior lecturer isn't actually a "constitutional law professor".

He doesn't have the authority to authorize new spending without congressional approval. PS he won't get it.
    The money is already available and the government says X amount must go towards "after school" programs for example. Now the President is saying X amount can go towards security guards.

Just who the fuck does the NRA suspect will pay for all these security guards they are lobbying for?

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem4aDr3am View Post
    I am not a rich man I do not blow my money unnecessarily. They are not weapons of war guns are used for hunting, competition, and relaxation. Please open your mind instead of sterotyping gun owners. Its no different than someone paying money to play an online game for their amusement.
    And guns are not designed to kill other human beings...people who don't care for human life do that...
    So you're seriously going to sit there and tell me that hundreds of years ago, guns, fundamentally a type of technology, were invented to hunt?

I'm sorry this is wrong. The first guns were called "hand cannons". Their direct descendants were actually created to kill enemy infantry from out of range of pikes in use at the time. Once they were introduced into the battlefield, all other kingdoms started to adopt them, and the technology matured into different types of loading, cartridges, projectiles, sizes, and rates of fire... all for the purpose of allowing the infantryman with a gun to kill more of the enemy more efficiently, while himself not being killed first.

So just don't forget what a gun is. Your favorite toy is a direct ancestor of a technology created to slaughter other human beings en masse and allow one kingdom to conquer and pillage another.

And the difference is one of scale. Video Gaming is inexpensive. Gun ownership is not. There is also nothing morally wrong with video gaming, whereas with gun owners, just remember, the only purpose of a gun, from it being aimed at a Buck or a Human, is to extinguish life.

Sadly this is also accurate...and ironic. He surrounded himself with Newtown survivors. But not one of his ideas would have stopped the shooter from stealing the guns (which he did) and going on that rampage. The closest Obama came was the "resource officer," which might have mitigated some of the damage.
    But the Obama resource officer is a disabled lesbian who sleeps on the job...

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    The money is already available and the government says X amount must go towards "after school" programs for example. Now the President is saying X amount can go towards security guards.

Just who the fuck does the NRA suspect will pay for all these security guards they are lobbying for?
    it's 4.5 billion in new spending.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to start somewhere. And when the opposing side would rather clean their guns with the tears of the dead children than give up 30 round magazines, it's a little tough to get the support needed. He can't do anything on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That is exactly what pretty much every handgun on the market is designed to do, and most of the "military-style" rifles as well. The AR-15 frame, for instance, was explicitly designed for use against human targets; it was designed as a military weapon, and the AR-15 is the civilian variation limited to semi-automatic fire.

There are legitimate reasons for that, like home defense, but refusing to acknowledge it is ridiculous and dishonest.
    Handguns are not solely designed to kill others. Most handguns are used for recreational sport shooting. I use mine to relax at the end of a long day. Its how people use them that is the difference. And a majority of the people in the US dont use their handguns to kill they use them for sport. Also there are many other rifles that were designed either for recreation or for hunting animals...not humans. I have never seen a gun advertised at my local gun store that has the label "Designed to kill Humans"
    I'm not refusing to acknowledge the power of guns I am trying to point out they are not made to kill humans they are made for sport and recreation...

But the Obama resource officer is a disabled lesbian who sleeps on the job...

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 08:06 PM ----------

it's 4.5 billion in new spending.
    Where did you pull that number from? Last estimate I saw was 500mil

i imagine the same people that would have payed for it when clinton suggested the same thing...us...

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    How about instead of blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars of hard earned money on weapons of war and living a ridiculous fantasy, you invest it. Use money to generate money?

Seems more productive than fiddling with a rifle designed to kill other human beings or shooting it at some wooden planks at a range.
    Wait. You're TELLING a citizen to stop spending money they have when our Government is blowing through TRILLIONS of dollars it DOESN'T HAVE with a desire to continue doing so? I think your priorities are a little mixed up.

15+ Year Old Account
    To those saying: Now you know what you voted.

My Response: Your god damn right I know what I voted for. This President has challenged every single lobby that has weaseled their way into politics and given them the middle finger. The NRA HAS FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRr too much influence on policy and it is about damn time someone put them in their place.

He has told Grover Norquist where to go shove it. The NRA is getting the middle finger. The 1% have been told to go blow themselves. Wall Street has been reformed and told to shove it. Europe with their austerity has been told to go shove it and now we are looked at as the growning economy in the world. Big oil has been told to go shove it and now we will be producing more oil then Saudia Arabia by 2017.

Easily will go down as the best president since Roosevelt.

Only liberty Obama is taking away is my liberty to buy a gun with no back ground check and go blow away some kids
    Pretty much this. Now that Obama doesn't have to deal with 2 years of the previous administration's policies looming over his presidency, campaigning for reelection, or a bunch of fearful, whiny politicians that pander to big corporations, we can get something done. Can't wait for this country to get back on track to being respected and not the butt end of every joke and the laughing stock of the rest of the world. Our economy has already started to turn around. The yearly GDP is already on the rise again, turned around from the complete nose dive that the previous administration left it in. Conservatives can point to our increasing debt and record levels of debt, but the number that matters is that the rate at which that debt is increasing is grinding to a halt and is headed towards going in the other direction.

I'm sorry if you're fearful of a tyrannical government, I'm sorry if you buy into all the anti Obama BS that's being spread. It must suck to live in that delusional world right about now, but for the rest of us who are patriotic to our country and not just our government or our party, this is a good day.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Where did you pull that number from? Last estimate I saw was 500mil
    If it's 1$ he is beyond his legal right.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Handguns are not solely designed to kill others. Most handguns are used for recreational sport shooting.
    What you're using it for is irrelevant. Handguns are designed to be used against people. That is their purpose. "Sport shooting" is practice to improve your skills at doing so. This is why many target range targets are shaped like people, with scoring based on how deadly the shot would be by getting it closer to center mass.

No handgun on the market was designed for "sport and recreation". That is simply not true, period.

It's like swords. You can tell me you only use your sword for tai chi meditations and demonstrations, and that's fine. But swords are still designed with one purpose; killing other people. You might like them for OTHER reasons, but that's what they were designed for.
    Last edited by Endus; 2013-01-16 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giiggity View Post
    Stop it with the "weapons of war" talking point. Weapons of war are tanks, aircraft, bombs, missiles and nuclear weapons, FULLY AUTOMATIC RIFLES, RPG's and the like. If you you think our soldiers carry .223 bushmasters into war you're sorely mistaken and should do your research before you speak of war like you understand it.

It's like "assault weapons". What the news media calls "assault weapons" are really just long rifles with big clips. You squeeze the trigger once, one bullet comes out, it's really no different than any other hunting rifle OTHER than the need to reload less often. You can cause the same amount of damage with a .45 as you can a .223 bushmaster at close range...if not more (i.e. carrying more than one pistol so you don't have to reload, larger caliber bullet, etc.)

Now, before the ad hominem attacks start; I think that what the president has done is completely within his powers as president. I agree that we need reasonable restrictions to ensure people with mental health issues have restricted access to pistols and rifles and the like.

The only worry I have is that registration of gun owners will at some point lead to confiscation of guns without a constitutional amendment to curtail 2nd amendment rights.
    All guns are weapons of war. Pick your terminology however you like. "Firearm", aka an "Arm" that "Fires" or "of Fire", Arm being another word for "weapon". All weapons are fundamentally "of war" no matter their purpose. Their origin is the same - all sourced to the original hand cannons of China and Late-Middle Ages Europe. And their purpose is only one thing: to end the life of something... an deer, a duck, a pheasant or a human.

They are a technology whose only purpose is to bring about death and whose origin is specifically the killing of other human beings.

Genetically you could say, all guns are Weapons of War. Even your favorite hunting rifle, or are you going to seriously tell me that Smith and Wesson (or whoever) in designing said rifle didn't use chambering, rifling and gas reloading technology first pioneered in military weaponry before making your favorite toy?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    So you're seriously going to sit there and tell me that hundreds of years ago, guns, fundamentally a type of technology, were invented to hunt?

I'm sorry this is wrong. The first guns were called "hand cannons". Their direct descendants were actually created to kill enemy infantry from out of range of pikes in use at the time. Once they were introduced into the battlefield, all other kingdoms started to adopt them, and the technology matured into different types of loading, cartridges, projectiles, sizes, and rates of fire... all for the purpose of allowing the infantryman with a gun to kill more of the enemy more efficiently, while himself not being killed first.

So just don't forget what a gun is. Your favorite toy is a direct ancestor of a technology created to slaughter other human beings en masse and allow one kingdom to conquer and pillage another.

And the difference is one of scale. Video Gaming is inexpensive. Gun ownership is not. There is also nothing morally wrong with video gaming, whereas with gun owners, just remember, the only purpose of a gun, from it being aimed at a Buck or a Human, is to extinguish life.
    Once again you demonstrate your ignorance of guns and use. Sure guns originated for battlefield use, but look at the guns we have today. The ones regular citizens own are not used for war. They are used for sports and recreation. Sure people hunt with guns, but they also use guns to relax. I myself have never shot an animal or person with any of the guns I own. Responsible gun owners know how to use their guns and avoid the type of bloodthirsty rampaging you are describing. Guns don't kill people...bad people with guns do.

If it's 1$ he is beyond his legal right.
    that doesn't answer his question at all.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    You have to start somewhere. And when the opposing side would rather clean their guns with the tears of the dead children than give up 30 round magazines, it's a little tough to get the support needed. He can't do anything on his own.
    So if the kid at Newtown only had 10 round clips, somehow in your mind, less people would have died? You do know that pants have pockets right? You can put magazines in your pockets. It takes less than 10 seconds . . I'm sorry, 3 seconds to reload a firearm with a clip/magazine. So do you think Obama should outlaw pockets on Jeans and Slacks and Shorts too?? Or just Jeans? Or just shorts. . . . Or capris? or all of the above?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what the Republicans do. Either they do nothing and get heavily blamed by our media for doing nothing or they give in and are no longer Republicans. We're living in a time where 40% of the country gets to decide what 100% of the country does.
    Nice maths.
    Yes, it's called democracy. Do you object to democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What you're using it for is irrelevant. Handguns are designed to be used against people. That is their purpose. "Sport shooting" is practice to improve your skills at doing so. This is why many target range targets are shaped like people, with scoring based on how deadly the shot would be by getting it closer to center mass.

No handgun on the market was designed for "sport and recreation". That is simply not true, period.
    Do you own or use any handguns? THere are several models designed specifically for sports shooting. Most of the lowest caliber lines won't even do enough damage to kill someone. I myself love my glock .22 and that would only be capable of killing someone at very close range. I also would never use it like that. Also you have to take into account the type of ammo people are using with those guns. Gun owners arent all bloodthirsty killers like people in this thread are making us out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Responsible gun owners know how to use their guns and avoid the type of bloodthirsty rampaging you are describing. Guns don't kill people...bad people with guns do.
    This sounds good, but the issue is there's no way to tell who's a responsible gun owner and who isn't, beyond "well, I haven't murdered a bunch of people, yet". Nobody's talking about banning all guns. Just maybe the ones that are the most murder-friendly.