Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BrM Tanking (Heroics)

For the most part i'm just going to be playing a brewmaster for heroics

Only problem is I like to do big pulls and make it go fast, which works on my warrior with the same ilvl, but not my monk. I die way too fast

Im still new to brewmaster so how would I go about keeping myself alive in these pulls, for example, All the scarlet mobs in the canon room in Scarlet halls

On my warrior I just shield barrier and everything fine, I blew all my CDs and a TP guard and still got pretty much one shot

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Do you have Shuffle up?

That's SUPER #1 Priority.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a monk, you HAVE to take the time to have Shuffle up. 20% additional stagger, and the added parry, will help wonders to keep you alive. Essentially, unlike your warrior where you can go thunder clap to each group, turn around and spam SBr, for the Monk, you have to make sure that you are keeping up Shuffle, and purifiying your stagger. Easier thing to do would be usage of Clash and Leg Sweep to get stuns out on your targets, as well as usage of Ox Statue. Monk, you will want to kite more then you stand still and tank things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

If you are dieing fast, get a very obvious Stagger Tracker, Weak auras works for this, and make sure your clearing it often.

Also for heroics pulling that big, take a look at mastery stacking for less burst damage as well, might help you out.

Yup
    Just seems like I take too much damage in general, not just big pulls

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zili View Post

Also for heroics pulling that big, take a look at mastery stacking for less burst damage as well, might help you out.
    Ewww. Mastery's not the best stat for the majority of brewmastering.

Learn to use your tools. Silence a caster, grapple a melee's weapon, LEG SWEEP to buy yourself time and use Guard wisely.

Kite if you need to, roll out of a big group/port if you find yourself overwhelmed, and don't be afraid to use cooldowns.

Expel Harm and tier 30 talents are also useful. Use Xuen to offtank if you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    I jumped into 5m Heroics the night I dinged 90 in mostly greens and did fine. You need to pull up the Weak Aura thread for BrM here and import some strings, follow it and keep the buffs and abilities on CD as priority and if you get Yellow/Moderate+ stagger try to get in the habit of using Purifying Brew on it but ONLY if you've got Shuffle+Guard up first. That should get you through them fine.

As said use Xuen as he works on heroic bosses and sit back and relax through those fights.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's tempting to BoF AoE packs into oblivion.

Don't.

Your Shuffle buff from BoK (and RJW if you have that talented) are far, far more important.

That said - got Shuffle + Guard up, or you've just done a Leg Sweep to buy yourself some breathing room? Go ahead and BoF. Just don't let it become a habit to prioritise BoF on AoE pulls because the damage is so nice.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealNight View Post
    As said use Xuen as he works on heroic bosses and sit back and relax through those fights.

Lol I remember using Xuen for the first time on a dungeon boss and was like "WTF ^#%^&$ HUNTER PET PULLING AGGRO F^#%&*# NOOB HUNTER!!" ... good thing I didn't bitch out the hunter in my group ^^;

I really wish I could keep him from taunting
    For some reason he has a habit of taunting on Spirit Kings, when two guys are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    I really wish I could keep him from taunting
    For some reason he has a habit of taunting on Spirit Kings, when two guys are up.
    Some people use this as a strat. Particularly for sebudai our whatever his name is. I think you just have to watch positioning but it could work out as a positive. Hell, I want to see if he might take a crazed meng for a few hits
    (this is our current progression boss)

Quote Originally Posted by Alucin View Post
    Some people use this as a strat. Particularly for sebudai our whatever his name is. I think you just have to watch positioning but it could work out as a positive. Hell, I want to see if he might take a crazed meng for a few hits
    (this is our current progression boss)
    Ok, but we've had it on farm for ages, so it's mostly annoying.
    I'd really love a minor glyph to turn off the taunt. Or alternatively, make it a minor TO taunt, for additional WW utility of sorts.

It'll take a while before you can do big pulls on a new brewmaster but once you can you'll dwarf whatever your warrior is capable of, heroics on my monk are very much a room by room AoE-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffs View Post
    Ok, but we've had it on farm for ages, so it's mostly annoying.
    I'd really love a minor glyph to turn off the taunt. Or alternatively, make it a minor TO taunt, for additional WW utility of sorts.
    I agree that it should be glyphable.
    Or if you get a pet bar at least.

If it is like a hunter pet growl, it's possible you may be able to macro to toggle off the taunt? Not sure how it's been implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucin View Post
    I agree that it should be glyphable.
    Or if you get a pet bar at least.

If it is like a hunter pet growl, it's possible you may be able to macro to toggle off the taunt? Not sure how it's been implemented.
    he just auto taunts if AoD could taunt it as I understand.

Use the breath of fire glyph for heroics since it's basically an infinite number of interrupts you can use on trash / some bosses.
    As for shuffle if the only threatening damage is in the form of magic then using BoK isn't nearly as important and 100% uptime shouldn't be worried about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    It's tempting to BoF AoE packs into oblivion.

Don't.

Your Shuffle buff from BoK (and RJW if you have that talented) are far, far more important.

That said - got Shuffle + Guard up, or you've just done a Leg Sweep to buy yourself some breathing room? Go ahead and BoF. Just don't let it become a habit to prioritise BoF on AoE pulls because the damage is so nice.
    This seems to be the issue 90% of the time when I'm healing a monk in a heroic. Breath of fire glyphed is nice as interrupt, but don't make a habbit of it. Blackout kick is far more important. Also as said many times before: leg sweep! Learn it, love it. 45 second cd 5 sec AoE stun, brilliant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpette View Post
    This seems to be the issue 90% of the time when I'm healing a monk in a heroic. Breath of fire glyphed is nice as interrupt, but don't make a habbit of it. Blackout kick is far more important. Also as said many times before: leg sweep! Learn it, love it. 45 second cd 5 sec AoE stun, brilliant.
    Also, spread the word: Grapple Weapon is king!

Tell Brewmasters about it. Tell Windwalkers and Mistweavers about it. They can Grapple from range while still running in and it won't waste a DPS/healing GCD. They can Grapple bosses (disarming Harlan is TOTALLY ninja) and they get a DPS/healing boost! Tanks will love them! Other party members will swoon at their utility-move prowess! Women and/or men will throw themselves at their feet!

OK probably not all of that, but still - it's really really fucking useful. Every monk, EVERY monk, should be abusing the hell out of it, and NO-ONE DOES.

It makes me sad in the pants.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    Also, spread the word: Grapple Weapon is king!
    I actually have it macro'd in with my taunt. Meaningless in raids but otherwise I always got your weapon when I taunt =P
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have it macro'd in with my taunt. Meaningless in raids but otherwise I always got your weapon when I taunt =P
    The fact that it's 40y makes it extra awesome. I don't think people know this, since most disarms are melee range.