Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    no, its not.
    one you are buying convenience of skipping grinding X* to be competitive in a multiplayer setting.
    the other you are buying power to beat the game, its literally charging money for a fucking cheat code.

X=guns, armor, perks, hats, etc.
    You're buying X gun in the game that you'll get at some point anyways, and generally if you're the type to spend money on the gun, you're already playing it on a low difficulty setting so it's not as if you're seeking the challenge.

Unless the design the game specifically to be nigh impossible without purchasing weapons, it shouldn't impact normal gameplay for the majority of people so they can completely ignore the feature.

As for your cheat code reference, I wouldn't say that's a proper analogy, but to go down that road a bit Gameshark and Game Genie say hi : )

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    Read through the comments and I have to ask; why was Dead Space scary? Was it more than jump scares? An issue I had with the first one, as much as I liked it, is that I don't feel like they capitalized enough on the sense of uncertainty and dread that could have been with the setting. After you get used to monsters jumping out of vents it just gets sort of predictable.
    The opening scene in the first one is great as a horror tool. Unknown enemy chasing you down a corridor, you have no weapons and can't get a good look at him, so you have no clue wtf it really is.

Beyond that, a big part of the first one was the feeling of being alone in that lifeless ship filled with tight corridors and ominous dark rooms. The first 2-3 vent based jump scares worked, but jump scares only work when they're not predictable. It was more the atmosphere that was intended to be scary rather than the cheap jump scares.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-01-31 at 07:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Pretty selfish answer. Exactly what I expect from the gaming community nowa days.
    What you just said is wrong on so many levels I don't even know what to say...

The "gaming community nowadays" in its majority a gelatinous spineless bodymass, which eats up everything the gaming industry will spew at them. Oh and be sure, they will ask for more and will frantically defend their precious meal from anybody, who would be careless enought to point out that it's actually waste they've been playing in. (Pretty much like you're acting right now)

I AM selfish, thank you, I see it as a virtue. But in this case, I do not act out selfishness. I said so, because I CARE about video games. I want my favorite form of media and entertainment to be of top quality. It literally pains me to see really good franchises to be degraded into some jesters to entertain the crowd.

Games don't need to be appealing to the masses to be succesful (well, maybe, economically speaking they are...). Some titles may stay more or less "niche" and be critically as well as community acclaimed AND make money, just not as much as some mainstream products. I believe that building trust with the community is much more important than chasing momentary revenue increase, and in the long run the game company will take more from the reputation damage it did to itself.

If I see some of favorite games twisted and turned inside out just to try to attract people who has never been interested in it in the first place, and would only like the newest release because it was molded into the shape they are used to, then yes, I'd wish an untimely death on them rather than watch them suffer.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

I don't consider Dead Space to be more horror than an action game where you shoot sci-fi super zombies in ridiculously dark areas -I mean you have a zero g generator on your left wrist but your hightech helm has no nightvision?- to give you a spook BUT you already know what will jump at you from the darkest corners and the vents so you aim at the limbs and fire away. The only true terrors were the übermorphs against which you were almost completely helpless.

Not to mention the 3rd person view where your character covers a big part of the left side of the screen when you are aiming (I have widescreen before you ask) becomes annoying in close quarters, I still can't fathom why they thought that was a good idea. Perhaps it is a horror feature along the lines of "what chews off your face where u can't see it"

With all that said I am kind of interested in the story and where it goes even if it is sloppy I need to satisfy my curiosity. Also I don't realy care about the microtransactions until whatever non-cosmetic items they offer can be found/made in-game too.
    Last edited by Difuid; 2013-02-01 at 08:44 AM.

Read through the comments and I have to ask; why was Dead Space scary? Was it more than jump scares? An issue I had with the first one, as much as I liked it, is that I don't feel like they capitalized enough on the sense of uncertainty and dread that could have been with the setting. After you get used to monsters jumping out of vents it just gets sort of predictable.
    As I'd mentioned in the playing games on easy thread, I think that to build up the intensity, the game has to be played on a high enough difficulty that it's not the vents that are supposed to be scary, it's that the monsters coming out of them can and will kill you. I've seen numerous people play the game on normal, not taking a single death through the entire playthrough and the intimidation factor simply isn't there. On Hard/Impossible, the game feels more as it was probably intended - seeing a bunch of obvious vent traps makes you think "Do I even have enough ammo and health for this next fight?", rather than just "lol more vents, I'll just melee them to death.".

After a while on the harder difficulties, the predictable nature becomes intimidating, because you start having to conserve ammo and most mobs take multiple hits before their limbs even come off at the start of the game. This also made the regenerating monster hell to deal with in certain areas, in DS 1 & 2, as you often had to kite it quite a while to avoid becoming trapped between it and other monsters.

Dead Space 3 doesn't seem to be applying this style of gameplay to itself - it's more focused around keeping you with guns-a-blazing the entire way through.

Well, earnings call had EA stating that their business plan is to capitalize on releasing fully paid games attached to Origin forcing people to be connected to a server that will offer extras for games, as a strategy to sustain itself economically.
    Yes, they said that their business plan is to sell games with locked features for the full price, that they will charge extra to allow people to use. IN EVERY GAME.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    Pretty selfish answer. Exactly what I expect from the gaming community nowa days.
    So you'd rather the series be destroyed then die a good death?

Quote Originally Posted by The EagleOwl Mage View Post
    I think you guys are freaking out a little too early.
    I don't think so. If we show we're unhappy now there might be a very small chance they would change it. If we wait until the day it's launched, it's too late.

It was the jump scares too, but not that alone.

You're walking through small corridors hearing weird sounds on a creepy music. You know monsters will come out at some point... but you don't always know when. Yes, some points were predictable, but sitting back to wall shooting them that jerk monster that came from behind always scared me a bit.
    So Dead Space was scary more because of the anticipation of being scared, nut because of truly being scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    What you just said is wrong on so many levels I don't even know what to say...

The "gaming community nowadays" in its majority a gelatinous spineless bodymass, which eats up everything the gaming industry will spew at them. Oh and be sure, they will ask for more and will frantically defend their precious meal from anybody, who would be careless enought to point out that it's actually waste they've been playing in. (Pretty much like you're acting right now)

I AM selfish, thank you, I see it as a virtue. But in this case, I do not act out selfishness. I said so, because I CARE about video games. I want my favorite form of media and entertainment to be of top quality. It literally pains me to see really good franchises to be degraded into some jesters to entertain the crowd.

Games don't need to be appealing to the masses to be succesful (well, maybe, economically speaking they are...). Some titles may stay more or less "niche" and be critically as well as community acclaimed AND make money, just not as much as some mainstream products. I believe that building trust with the community is much more important than chasing momentary revenue increase, and in the long run the game company will take more from the reputation damage it did to itself.

If I see some of favorite games twisted and turned inside out just to try to attract people who has never been interested in it in the first place, and would only like the newest release because it was molded into the shape they are used to, then yes, I'd wish an untimely death on them rather than watch them suffer.
    Fully agreed on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Buu View Post
    Well, earnings call had EA stating that their business plan is to capitalize on releasing fully paid games attached to Origin forcing people to be connected to a server that will offer extras for games, as a strategy to sustain itself economically.
    Yes, they said that their business plan is to sell games with locked features for the full price, that they will charge extra to allow people to use. IN EVERY GAME.
    Then I hope they won't complain when everyone pirates their games instead of buying them. Because many people don't like to be treated as milk cows.

I don't like what they did with the PC port saying that i get EA games for free anyway

The thing that scared me the most in dead space was knowing that you were never really safe. If you ran from a necromorph they could just attack you in the next room.
    That and the fact that on survivalist and higher ammo was a real problem so you had to be efficient or else you might get screwed later on.

I just hope they can keep the feeling of dread from dead space 2 and not turn it into Resident space 6.

10+ Year Old Account
    If someone had even a slightest doubt at this point.

Dead Space 3 launches with 11 DLC packs for speeding loot collection, kitting out character

• Bot Capacity Upgrade - $4.99
    • Bot Personality Pack - $4.99
    • First Contact Pack - Free
    • Marauder Pack - $4.99
    • Sharpshooter Pack - $4.99
    • Tundra Recon Pack - $4.99
    • Witness the Truth Pack - $4.99
    • Bot Accelerator - $4.99
    • Epic Weapon & Resource Pack - $2.99
    • Online Pass - $9.99
    • Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack - $1.99
    • Resource Pack - $0.99

That better not be "pay extra to play online" because that would fuck me right off.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    That better not be "pay extra to play online" because that would fuck me right off.
    Not if you have an original copy:
    https://help.ea.com/ca/article/how-d...-3-online-pass
    "When you first open your Dead Space 3 game, on the side of the box-cover opposite the game disc, among the other inserts and manuals you should find your Online Pass insert. This Online Pass is a unique code that can only be used once, so if you are having issues redeeming an Online Pass for a used or rented copy of Dead Space 3, you buy a new Online Pass, which you can find more information on in our comprehensive Online Pass FAQ."

If you have a second-hand copy you pay
    http://www.examiner.com/article/dead...tails-revealed
    "In addition to this, it has also been revealed that “Dead Space 3” will include the use of an online pass. This online pass will only affect players that purchase secondhand copies of this title, as they will have to pay an extra $9.99 to access the online portion of this title."

So on this point it is ok.

As long as you can still acquire everything through your own effort, I don't really mind this being in place, my issue with the game is elsewhere.

That's the cash shop that's been discussed throughout the thread, so it's not really DLC. They're not pulling any content out from launch and selling it alongside the title.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    That's the cash shop that's been discussed throughout the thread, so it's not really DLC. They're not pulling any content out from launch and selling it alongside the title.
    If you bothered to actually read the linked article, you'd know that's you're wrong. (Twice so, considering you're advocating the ridiculous DLC policy)

Quote Originally Posted by eurogamer
    These options are separate to the in-game micro-transactions that Eurogamer revealed last week, which allow you to sheets of real world cash on extra resources for the game's weapon-crafting system.

If you bothered to actually read the linked article, you'd know that's you're wrong. (Twice so, considering you're advocating the ridiculous DLC policy)
    Separate, but achieve the same thing. These just outright seem to sell you the weapons/upgrades for them. So rather than purchasing the credits to buy the weapon/upgrade/whatever, you're flat out buying the weapon/upgrade/whatever.

Again, this is like selling alternate weapon skins, and not real content.

I'm not advocating this by any means, simply stating that it's far from being as bad as holding out content to launch alongside the game rather than include it with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    As I'd mentioned in the playing games on easy thread, I think that to build up the intensity, the game has to be played on a high enough difficulty that it's not the vents that are supposed to be scary, it's that the monsters coming out of them can and will kill you. I've seen numerous people play the game on normal, not taking a single death through the entire playthrough and the intimidation factor simply isn't there. On Hard/Impossible, the game feels more as it was probably intended - seeing a bunch of obvious vent traps makes you think "Do I even have enough ammo and health for this next fight?", rather than just "lol more vents, I'll just melee them to death.".

After a while on the harder difficulties, the predictable nature becomes intimidating, because you start having to conserve ammo and most mobs take multiple hits before their limbs even come off at the start of the game. This also made the regenerating monster hell to deal with in certain areas, in DS 1 & 2, as you often had to kite it quite a while to avoid becoming trapped between it and other monsters.

Dead Space 3 doesn't seem to be applying this style of gameplay to itself - it's more focused around keeping you with guns-a-blazing the entire way through.
    I see. Although, does this still apply after you've played through the lower difficulties? I recall (it was a while back) doing a Plasma Cutter only max difficulty run (think I need to go back and finish it), and it wasn't that scary. Do you think there's a level of desensitization going on when progressing through the difficulties?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    it's far from being as bad as holding out content to launch alongside the game rather than include it with the game.
    Oh, but they are doing that too. Story DLC has already been announced to come a few weeks after the launch. And I'm pretty sure more will follow.

And don't forget that you will be missing out on some story bits unless you play the game in co-op mode (which costs $9.99).

10+ Year Old Account
    Co-op costs money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Co-op costs money?
    If you buy a used copy, it does.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you buy a used copy, it does.
    That's nothing new, though, and I haven't seen that be a real sticking point for other games. Also, that should be explicitly stated in the argument, since most people buy a game new. On its face, the multiplayer doesn't cost any money. It's only after the game is resold and the code is used.