1. #1

    Challenge Mode Setup

    Y'hello, Since my guild just took a break from raiding I've been looking into doing gold challenge modes. At the moment It's me (frost mage) a prot warr + a fury warr and I know Fury warrior isn't optimal but he's good and it should easily be doable (we aint going for any world record times or anything like that).

    So my question what 2 classes do you think would be best (healer + 1 Ranged dps) for our setup?

    I've been thinking about a resto druid + a survival hunter/elemental shaman but the lack of a DK (remorsless winter) might hurt us pretty bad on major trashpacks?

  2. #2
    Hunter and a dk would probably be pretty good, quite a few of the gold times come down to the strength of your aoe dps...

  3. #3
    2 Hunter, 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Holy Paladin and 1 Blood DK (in DPS Gear) is in my opinion a very insane comp. One of our guild groups managed to clear all challenge modes in about 1 1/2 hours using that kind of setup. A Blood tank is crazy, tons of cd's and bombastic DPS (300k++ DPS peaks on trash).

    /edit Just to mention it, in my experience melees are a real pain in the ass. It is idd possible to earn gold with a melee comp but it's horrible ..
    Last edited by nahiko; 2013-01-18 at 05:15 PM.

  4. #4
    golds are quite doable with any half sensible comp if you aren't pushing for world times.
    Redsparowe#2548 <Crayola Inc>, Lightbringer EU

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by nahiko View Post
    2 Hunter, 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Holy Paladin and 1 Blood DK (in DPS Gear) is in my opinion a very insane comp. One of our guild groups managed to clear all challenge modes in about 1 1/2 hours using that kind of setup.
    Dont understand what you mean, 90 minutes from scratch? I dont believe you. 90 minutes for repeat golds? Sure, most people that have already done it will do it in that time no matter the comp they run.

    With your comp OP I'd go with an Ele shaman or hunter. Remorseless winter wont be that useful (youll have double shockwave, it will DR to hell). Youll be missing Army of the dead on certain pulls, but thats not really that necessary, and a chain of shockwaves + aoe interrupts from both warriors will cover the job just as well.

  6. #6
    Brewmaster Agile Emily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,420
    I'm kinda curious about Challenge mode difficulty. Really love to get the gold set on my warlock, but haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet.

    I realise that pugging one will be next to impossible, but as a fairly decent player, can it be done?

  7. #7
    You can reasonably expect to get 9/9 gold using the following mantra: ''Bring the player, not the class''. Of course, some comps have it harder, such as groups with 3 melee dps or without lust, but where would be the fun if it wasn't challenging?

    Posted by Agile Emily
    I realise that pugging one will be next to impossible, but as a fairly decent player, can it be done?
    On the US Raids & Dungeons forums we have very popular LFG/LFM threads where successful groups assemble. Taking a quick look at the EU forums, I notice you guys have a 'LFM - PvE' sub-forum, so I would recommend creating or posting in a thread over there.

  8. #8
    Elemental shaman/hunter is what you want for the ranged dps. As for the healer theres multiple options, resto druid should get you the fastest times if you are a good group, disc priest is amazing for cheesing some enemies, last a holy paladin will help you a lot with bops/salv.

    I did stormstout brewery for the first time in 3 months yesterday, we used a warrior tank and I can say with 100% certianty it would have been impossible with any other healing than a holy paladin. The tank simply couldnt hold aggro on the trash pack before the first boss (we pull everything from start to first boss) on most pulls I had to use 2 bops, 2 salvs and my bubble thats how horrible his aoe aggro was while kiting.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Elemental shaman/hunter is what you want for the ranged dps. As for the healer theres multiple options, resto druid should get you the fastest times if you are a good group, disc priest is amazing for cheesing some enemies, last a holy paladin will help you a lot with bops/salv.

    I did stormstout brewery for the first time in 3 months yesterday, we used a warrior tank and I can say with 100% certianty it would have been impossible with any other healing than a holy paladin. The tank simply couldnt hold aggro on the trash pack before the first boss (we pull everything from start to first boss) on most pulls I had to use 2 bops, 2 salvs and my bubble thats how horrible his aoe aggro was while kiting.
    That's the hardest part of the instance to learn. We found the best way to do that part was just to use barrels at least until he has solid AoE threat.

  10. #10
    We've been trying challenge modes as well just dicking around mostly but we have an alternating group of 7 classes.

    Elemental Shaman
    Blood DK
    Rogue
    Frost DK
    Mage
    Mistweaver/Windwalker Monk
    Disc Priest

    Any combination of 5 seems to work well for us.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by nahiko View Post
    2 Hunter, 1 Elemental Shaman, 1 Holy Paladin and 1 Blood DK (in DPS Gear) is in my opinion a very insane comp. One of our guild groups managed to clear all challenge modes in about 1 1/2 hours using that kind of setup. A Blood tank is crazy, tons of cd's and bombastic DPS (300k++ DPS peaks on trash).

    /edit Just to mention it, in my experience melees are a real pain in the ass. It is idd possible to earn gold with a melee comp but it's horrible ..

    Blood DK are the safest tank imo, but they're not that great on the dmg done. You'd also benefit more from having either a warlock or a mage instead of a second hunter in any comp.

    Comp isn't that important if you're only going for gold time, just need to pick good players. I'll also call BS on the 1 1/2 hours to clear all CMs, I'm currently holding 7 of the 9 world best time and our combined time for ALL challenge excluding teleports and such between runs is 88 minutes -_- .

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    I did stormstout brewery for the first time in 3 months yesterday, we used a warrior tank and I can say with 100% certianty it would have been impossible with any other healing than a holy paladin. The tank simply couldnt hold aggro on the trash pack before the first boss (we pull everything from start to first boss) on most pulls I had to use 2 bops, 2 salvs and my bubble thats how horrible his aoe aggro was while kiting.
    While pally healer can do amazing things, I found out that the hardest pull we made in our run would be ALOT harder with a pally healer than a disc priest overall. Disc priest can offer so much mitigation for the tank and their cooldowns are really good.
    Last edited by Nerthfu; 2013-01-19 at 02:16 AM.

  12. #12
    For a healer I'd say a disc priest or holy paladin. For dps I'd say a hunter or ele shaman.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I realise that pugging one will be next to impossible, but as a fairly decent player, can it be done?
    We can't call it a pug anymore. But me and bouleau have been pugging for a while and we did achieve alot of world best time with pugs (maybe 8 or 9) most of those times are outdated now but our current group is made of what was initially a pug.

  14. #14
    There's not a whole lot of point in taking a DK for remorseless winter, you already have 2 warriors, the diminishing returns on stuns means that remorseless would freeze for like, half a second after 2 shockwaves.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I'm kinda curious about Challenge mode difficulty. Really love to get the gold set on my warlock, but haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet.

    I realise that pugging one will be next to impossible, but as a fairly decent player, can it be done?
    Some people have been selling Gold runs on my server, afaik they are legit and don't play on the account for you. So if it is possible to boost a 5th member then I guess Gold runs won't be too hard to achieve.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    Y'hello, Since my guild just took a break from raiding I've been looking into doing gold challenge modes. At the moment It's me (frost mage) a prot warr + a fury warr and I know Fury warrior isn't optimal but he's good and it should easily be doable (we aint going for any world record times or anything like that).

    So my question what 2 classes do you think would be best (healer + 1 Ranged dps) for our setup?

    I've been thinking about a resto druid + a survival hunter/elemental shaman but the lack of a DK (remorsless winter) might hurt us pretty bad on major trashpacks?
    We're currently at 4/9 gold with a comp wartank/RSham/hunter/destrulock/warfury (me).
    Warriors fury are good in challenge mode, not incredibly powerful, but good. Our comp is not the best for world record but fine for gold medals.

    One thing I really like in our comp is that we have two really strong aoe dps (me and the hunter) that are not that great on single fights. On the contrary, our warlock deals less damage against trash but makes the boss die incredibly fast. I think iit's good to have a balanced comp since some gold medals can be pretty hard if you have not enough dps for single fights.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 11:57 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    There's not a whole lot of point in taking a DK for remorseless winter, you already have 2 warriors, the diminishing returns on stuns means that remorseless would freeze for like, half a second after 2 shockwaves.
    Remorseless winter is better than Shockwave. Plus, you don't want your warrior dps to spec for Shockwave, Bladestorm is incredible for Challenge modes.
    Actually, if your tank/healer are good enough you even want your wartank to spec for Bladestorm.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    We're currently at 4/9 gold with a comp wartank/RSham/hunter/destrulock/warfury (me).
    Warriors fury are good in challenge mode, not incredibly powerful, but good. Our comp is not the best for world record but fine for gold medals.

    One thing I really like in our comp is that we have two really strong aoe dps (me and the hunter) that are not that great on single fights. On the contrary, our warlock deals less damage against trash but makes the boss die incredibly fast. I think iit's good to have a balanced comp since some gold medals can be pretty hard if you have not enough dps for single fights.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 11:57 AM ----------



    Remorseless winter is better than Shockwave. Plus, you don't want your warrior dps to spec for Shockwave, Bladestorm is incredible for Challenge modes.
    Actually, if your tank/healer are good enough you even want your wartank to spec for Bladestorm.
    I think I'd rather have my fury warrior pick up shockwave, and make the trash packs not take the tank from behind, than do a bit more damage. Than recruit a second melee DPS into our runs. Especially one who doesn't bring utility over remorseless winter.

  18. #18
    We did our first try with me speccing into Shockwave. We've quickly decided that it was better than I spec for Bladestorm considering how it increases my dps. If you already have a Shockwave, the second one doesn't last long and is definitely not worth the loss of dps.
    The only danger to take Bladestorm is that sometimes I die because of it, seems that the tank has trouble to keep the trash on him when I do 1000k+ dps. (I don't reach 1000k dps often, but 500k+ during burst when I use Bladestorm is really common.) Our warlock always put his soulstone on me, it's not like the tank can die against many packs anyway (one in Shado-pan monastry, one in Mogushan palace, and that's all I think.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •