Page 78 of 114 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    See how long as last as a server (which is essentially just sales and customer service) greeting people with a neutral expression and a monotone "my name is purlina do you know what you want."

It's almost unbelievable that someone would think smiling is not expected when dealing with customers...

Just because your not smiling that does not mean your monotone. Nor does that mean you can't be polite while addressing the customer...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Swargle View Post
    Taking your order, bringing you your food and drink yes. Refilling your drink? Absolutely not.
    Why not? If you see an empty glass you should run towards it (not literally lol) and pick it up, asking the customer if they want to drink more. Why? So your boss earns more! You earn the same (minimum wage, per hour). If you don't like it that your boss earns more go work for your goddamn self and start your own business or quit the service sector.

Being polite, answering questions about the menu, smiling, replacing something you dropped, is ALL extra service not included in the price of your meal.
    So if I pay, you smile. Sounds like I better hire a monkey. At least monkeys are funny when ti comes down to food.

and to be largely ignored.
    Utterly ignorant. Your bosses loses money that way, meaning he'll have to fire people. Or better: replace you for the incompetent spoiled brad you are with an employee who doesn't ignore their customers.

Bob walks back to the bar.
    Charlie the boss whispers: Table 3 hasn't received service yet, they've been waiting for 15 minutes.
    Bob: Yeah, that's the Addams family. They don't tip.

Now what do you think will happen, do you think your customers are retarded? They'll go to your competitor!

Alice: I demand to speak to your manager! This is outrageous!

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 10:09 PM ----------

Never ordering from there is saying the food was abysmal, not tipping is saying the service was abysmal.
    Nope, your customers want both.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    Funny, I run a restaurant that sells over $2 mill a year. I've discovered a happy staff is a productive staff, and I would never put one customer ahead of my staff, if I know that customer is a non-tipper.
    Sure, sure. Names please.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Table 3 hasn't received service yet, they've been waiting for 15 minutes.
    Bob: Yeah, that's the Addams family. They don't tip.

Now what do you think will happen, do you think your customers are retarded? They'll go to your competitor!

Alice: I demand to speak to your manager! This is outrageous!

And after repeatedly stiffing the new place they go to, they will get slow service in that restaurant as well.

Who do you think gets served first?

The big spender, or mr cheapskate...?

You should expect to make minimum wage, and anything above that is a bonus. It takes no training or special skills to do the job, if you're unhappy with the income potential, get trained to do something else and better your own situation.[COLOR="red"]
    Jesus, I don't know why i continue to come into this thread. Don't make sweeping statements about my position. You don't know my situation. You don't care either...nor should you really. You think that pizza delivery is my primary Job. it's not. But hey, thanks for making assumptions about my life...it's always nice to get advice from on high.

Now let me explain...I don't expect to make minimum wage because my experience has shown me that i won't. VERy rarely will I just make minimum wage. My four years of history doing this job provide me with my expectations and precedent. I expect to make $14 an hour doing this, yes unskilled job, because that has been pretty consistently what i make. Guess what...I am rarely ever fail to meet my expectations, In no way am I unhappy with my earning potential delivering pizza.

Please don't confuse the occasional frustration over a stiff as being unhappy with the income potential of the job.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

It's more unbelievable that someone known for stiffing the help expects to be treated better than he treats them.
    It's their job to perform the services for which I am paying, it's not my job to take care of them because they feel under paid and use threats of spitting in my food to get extra pay from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Just because your not smiling that does not mean your monotone. Nor does that mean you can't be polite while addressing the customer...

I really think you're being intentionally obtuse just for the sake of argument. I can appreciate it, because it's making the day go by quicker.

It's their job to perform the services for which I am paying, it's not my job to take care of them because they feel under paid and use threats of spitting in my food to get extra pay from me.

I really think you're being intentionally obtuse just for the sake of argument. I can appreciate it, because it's making the day go by quicker.
    Agreed completely. And as such you are free to not tip. I won't spit in your food. I won't stop for a smoke break with your pizza in the car, nor will I generally treat you like shit. Nor will 98% of other delivery drivers. Those 2% need to not be in food service.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    Jesus, I don't know why i continue to come into this thread. Don't make sweeping statements about my position. You don't know my situation. You don't care either...nor should you really. You think that pizza delivery is my primary Job. it's not. But hey, thanks for making assumptions about my life...it's always nice to get advice from on high.

Now let me explain...I don't expect to make minimum wage because my experience has shown me that i won't. VERy rarely will I just make minimum wage. My four years of history doing this job provide me with my expectations and precedent. I expect to make $14 an hour doing this, yes unskilled job, because that has been pretty consistently what i make. Guess what...I am rarely ever fail to meet my expectations, In no way am I unhappy with my earning potential delivering pizza.
    I'm not talking to you specifically, but anyone who thinks they deserve double the Federal minimum wage for being able to drive a car around and hand out pizzas, or take orders and carry food really has an entitled attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that illogical, why should one tip someone for simply doing the job for which they are employed?
    They shouldn't.

I worked in the industry and I agree with this statement.

If I was able to work as a waiter for even just $12 an hour no tips, I would have done it for longer. I really loved the industry and I love the people and the atmosphere. But I can't have days where I make nothing and others where I make plenty, too unstable.

Deleted
    And after repeatedly stiffing the new place they go to, they will get slow service in that restaurant as well.
    Depends on the waiters. If the waiters have half a brain and the boss wants to earn money they'll serve whoever comes because tip or no tip they're earning profit.

Who do you think gets served first?

The big spender, or mr cheapskate...?
    Whoever arrived first. LILO. Last In, Last Out. Brilliant concept. Go look it up.

I'm not talking to you specifically, but anyone who thinks they deserve double the Federal minimum wage for being able to drive a car around and hand out pizzas, or take orders and carry food really has an entitled attitude.
    And anyone who thinks that they deserve more than the minimum amount of service while not appreciating it has an entitled attitude.

Depends on the waiters. If the waiters have half a brain and the boss wants to earn money they'll serve whoever comes because tip or no tip they're earning profit.

Whoever arrived first. LILO. Last In, Last Out. Brilliant concept. Go look it up.
    As a concept it works, in practice it doesn't.

Rich person / big spender walks into a resturant, you think he is going to get the same service as joe blow?

Why not? If you see an empty glass you should run towards it (not literally lol) and pick it up, asking the customer if they want to drink more. Why? So your boss earns more! You earn the same (minimum wage, per hour). If you don't like it that your boss earns more go work for your goddamn self and start your own business or quit the service sector.
    Actually the owner makes more with fewer refills, granted it's only pennies. At this point I was thinking you were a troll.

So if I pay, you smile. Sounds like I better hire a monkey. At least monkeys are funny when ti comes down to food.
    At least a server won't throw feces at you when you stiff them on the tip. Well most won't.

Utterly ignorant. Your bosses loses money that way, meaning he'll have to fire people. Or better: replace you for the incompetent spoiled brad you are with an employee who doesn't ignore their customers.
    Taken to an illogical extreme. I said largely ignored, not completely. Your order will be taken, your drinks delivered, your food delivered, if you manage to flag them down your drink refilled, but they won't go out of their way to make sure you have what you need. They have better customers to wait on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    And anyone who thinks that they deserve more than the minimum amount of service while not appreciating it has an entitled attitude.
    Why should I appreciate someone performing their job that I am paying for. How ridiculous…
    Thank you, kind wait staff, for allowing me to come into this establishment and pay you for food. Please, have some more money on top of that so in case I come back in again, you won’t spit in my iced tea.

Why should I appreciate someone performing their job that I am paying for. How ridiculous…
    Thank you, kind wait staff, for allowing me to come into this establishment and pay you for food. Please, have some more money on top of that so in case I come back in again, you won’t spit in my iced tea.
    And with that kind of attitude you'll get the minimum amount of service and you'll deserve it.

Only fools in this industry think they DESERVE or are entitled to double the minimum wage. We expect double the minimum wage, because historically that is what we have been receiving.

If I made x last week delivering pizzas, then I can reasonable expect working the same hours this week to make around x as well. When I get stiffed I get pissed because that puts me at risk for not making what I counted on making...not because it is my god given entitlement to be tipped and woe to the asshole who stiffed me!

Ok so maybe I am speaking mostly for myself and the few people I know who do this. Maybe other drivers and waiters are shit heads about this...but really when you stiff me I am frustrated just about as long as it takes for me to pull away from your curb.

Your paying for food, your not paying for someone to wait on you hand and foot. That's what the tip is for.

You want your food super fast, or do you want it at the standard speed? You want standard service or do you want good service?

Your paying for food, your not paying for someone to wait on you hand and foot. That's what the tip is for.

You want your food super fast, or do you want it at the standard speed? You want standard service or do you want good service?
    I love you man, but this line of argument is not helping our cause...it really isn't. You are confusing the cause with the effect. You, as a server, or driver, should provide good service in order to encourage a tip...NOT provide good service ONLY when a tip is assured. That's bass akward, man

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    Funny, I run a restaurant that sells over $2 mill a year. I've discovered a happy staff is a productive staff, and I would never put one customer ahead of my staff, if I know that customer is a non-tipper.
    so if you are such a sucess, why not pay your staff a decent wage and so leave tipping to be a reward for great service and not somethign your staff has to rely on?

Oh yeah, because you made it up.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I love you man, but this line of argument is not helping our cause...it really isn't. You are confusing the cause with the effect. You, as a server, or driver, should provide good service in order to encourage a tip...NOT provide good service ONLY when a tip is assured. That's bass akward, man
    It's all related though. I'm going to appreciate a waiter/waitress that keeps my drink full throughout the meal (and I drink a lot of soda) and that will be reflected in my tip. Because I appreciate them

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Well the minimum amount of service is that I expect you to follow LILO, to drive as quick as you legally can (I'm not asking you to speed, I'm not asking you to drive through red light), to have a neutral look on your face (don't have to smile, if I tell you a good joke it'd be nice, but you don't have to) and be courteous and no spit in my food. I also expect you to act in the interest of your boss which means I expect you to smell neutral or good (not stinking), look alright (a pimple is pushing it, you shouldn't run around in a daffy duck t-shirt (no not even as a pizza delivery person...) and no offense but that also means you shouldn't be overweight because it turns customers off to be like "hmm, might not wanna eat here, I may become like that" I'm pretty damn serious on that one you should look healthy) and another thing is I expect you to behave patient, courteous. If I come to pick up my pocket and I am able to peek in the kitchen because it is a half open kitchen I don't expect one server jumping on the other. That doesn't give me confidence in your products. And if in your shoes and culture I'd have a customer who would repeatedly not tip I'd actually try to do more my best, to top myself. I admit I would give up at some point, but then I'd remain at a dignity level for my own sake. For the company's pride as well as my own. The more courteous people have been in restaurant the more eager I've been to tip. The most I ever tipped was in an Indian restaurant I can highly recommend, based in London. They were very courteous to us as you can expect from Indians, explained a lot about the foods, gave us a free appetizer because the kitchen wasn't open yet and gave a free dish when something fell on the ground. That is service. I'm still subscribed to their e-mail list. I root the day I get back to London.