Quote Originally Posted by Extrazero8 View Post
    Here is the reality with tipping.

Tipping is required for proper service. If you want your questions answered, your food brought to you at a proper time, and at the correct temperature you need to tip. If you don't like that then too damn bad. That's how this works.

You see you're competing for your servers attention. Why should your server, or driver, spend their time on someone known not to tip when they can give that time to someone else that does? Oh you wont go back? Your server doesn't give a shit. The worst thing that could happen is that they have to get another shitty tip job.
    What about the other jobs? I COOK the food. i'm the one whose responsible for most of that and i don't get any tips at all. In fact it's illegal to give cooks money from tip pools. Also what you're talking about isnt a tip. you're saying to BRIBE someone to not treat you like crap when they shouldnt in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by jwtelesio View Post
    What about the other jobs? I COOK the food. i'm the one whose responsible for most of that and i don't get any tips at all. In fact it's illegal to give cooks money from tip pools. Also what you're talking about isnt a tip. you're saying to BRIBE someone to not treat you like crap when they shouldnt in the first place.
    I'm just telling you how it is.

The alternative is higher food prices and no incentive to work harder for customers.

Edit: Just to let you know I've been a cook too and it was harder work for less money. But I didn't put miles on my car or risk getting into an accident or shot.

I'm supporting your cause not belittling your work. Don't candy coat dog shit if you're unhappy with your situation

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 07:38 AM ----------

Pizza places do that to cover the cost of raising food prices. Notice how you can still get $10 large pizza's even though the cost of milk has gone up a lot over the last 10 years. The delivery fee does not even mostly go to the driver. Most of the time its less than 35%. You driver might be getting $1 to $1.25 out of that $4.

Pizza places would rather hide the extra food cost with a delivery fee than make it known that they cost more than the next guy.
    You don't think the increased cost in delivery could actually be related to... gas prices? The cost of food is also strongly related to the price of gas.

I'm just telling you how it is.

The alternative is higher food prices and no incentive to work harder for customers.
    The incentive to work harder is that it's your job. If you interact with customers im 100% certain your job expects you to treat them good or they'll fire you. If you feel like you arent getting payed enough for you hard work you bring it up with your boss not degrade your service to try and force people to give you money.

Quote Originally Posted by Huike View Post
    You don't think the increased cost in delivery could actually be related to... gas prices? The cost of food is also strongly related to the price of gas.
    It is and that is a part of food costs.

You should probably be fighting for employers actually living up to paying minimum wage instead of expecting everyone to give tips reliably. It's never a good idea to depend on something as inconsistent as human generosity..

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 07:43 AM ----------

The incentive to work harder is that it's your job. If you interact with customers im 100% certain your job expects you to treat them good or they'll fire you. If you feel like you arent getting payed enough for you hard work you bring it up with your boss not degrade your service to try and force people to give you money.
    This.

/10c

The incentive to work harder is that it's your job.
    There are a lot of jobs out there and its still easy to find one with crappy pay.

If you interact with customers im 100% certain your job expects you to treat them good or they'll fire you. If you feel like you arent getting payed enough for you hard work you bring it up with your boss not degrade your service to try and force people to give you money.
    No one is forcing you to tip. That said, if you don't tip and someone else does, you're not a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Huike View Post
    You should probably be fighting for employers actually living up to paying minimum wage instead of expecting everyone to give tips reliably. It's never a good idea to depend on something as inconsistent as human generosity..
    Yup, i actually participated in a little event we had a year or so here in California against companies that do that. despite the fact that it doesnt affect me at all.

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 11:48 PM ----------

There are a lot of jobs out there and its still easy to find one with crappy pay.

No one is forcing you to tip. That said, if you don't tip and someone else does, you're not a priority.
    And what's not working hard doing your job gonna do about it?

Servers who do that end up losing anyway, cause i've never heard of a single person who decided to tip better because if bad service. What i've seen is customers getting pissed and contacting management, which usually leads to someone getting fired.

IMO if the government is going to start minting trillion dollar coins they should mint one and use it to subsidize gas prices for a while. This would help the economy more than anything else they are doing. Or probably a better idea, invest it in alternative energy. Does anyone know wtf the government is spending all this ridiculous amount of money on? None of it is helping the people. None of it is helping the economy. It's just hurting it. They are the cause of this thread and many of the other current problems in the economy.

If I were to organize something it would be against frivolous government expenditures.

Oh, and what are they doing to pay back for all the ridiculous amounts of money flying in every direction? Things like a 1% sin tax on all video games T and up under the facade of a reaction to sandy hook (OffT: and they are still ignoring the actual problem... mental health.) It really is disgusting. It seems more and more every day America is turning into the country it originally unionized against. More taxes. Take away guns. Huge separation of middle and upper class.
    Last edited by Huike; 2013-01-21 at 07:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Delivering pizzas (or any other delivery) is a thankless, tiring, dangerous job. It is a real job. The service industry is no more or less important and is, in fact, a huge part of the culture (if you want to call it that) in this country. You smug assholes who think you're better than someone because you go to your piece of shit office cubicle job and waste your life getting fat, sitting in a square all day have no room to talk. Those of you that live in the United States and have the balls to tell someone to "Get a real job and make your employer pay you more" are pretty sacrosanct for being dime a dozen keyboard clickers. And here's the deal, fuckwads: Please, order some food and don't tip. I promise you that you'll get the service (and quality) you deserve. Having worked in food service for years earlier in life, I can tell you there's always some entitled asshole; some smug suit who thinks he's better. I was so glad to work at a family owned restaurant where I could confront freeloading assholes and oversensitive cockbags and shut the door in their faces. Most people don't have the pleasure.

Bottom line, if you order some delivery and you can't afford a tip, you can't afford delivery. If you can afford it and you still don't do it, you're a piece of shit.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-21 at 04:59 PM.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    Delivering pizzas (or any other delivery) is a thankless, tiring, dangerous job. It is a real job. The service industry is no more or less important and is, in fact, a huge part of the culture (if you want to call it that) in this country. You smug assholes who think you're better than someone because you go to your piece of shit office cubicle job and waste your life getting fat, sitting in a square all day have no room to talk. If you live in the United States and you have the balls to tell someone to "Get a real job and make your employer pay you more" are pretty sacrosanct for being dime a dozen keyboard clickers. And here's the deal, fuckwads: Please, order some food and don't tip. I promise you that you'll get the service (and quality) you deserve. Having worked in food service for years earlier in life, I can tell you there's always some entitled asshole; some smug suit who thinks he's better. I was so glad to work at a family owned restaurant where I could confront freeloading assholes and oversensitive cockbags and shut the door in their faces. Most people don't have the pleasure.

Bottom line, if you order some delivery and you can't afford a tip, you can't afford delivery. If you can afford it and you still don't do it, you're a piece of shit.
    Saying that if someone cant afford a tip cant afford delivery is the exact same as the people who say delivery isnt a real job.

I live in America. I regularly order pizza, when I can afford it. Sometimes I have enough for a tip, and I do. Other times I have just enough for the pizza and delivery fee. I feel bad that I can't always give a tip, but it's not mandatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsubodia View Post
    People don't expect that. People expect companies to actually provide staff with the tools to do the job they require them to. Aka a vehicle + fuel costs.
    It's not exactly the same thing, but I once worked at a gas station where I had this issue. The manager wanted me to clean the bathrooms, which is fine cause it's a necessary part of the job. The problem came when I found out we didn't have any proper supplies, at all. We had no gloves, scrub brush, or any kind of cleaner. There was a Walmart just across the street. I told him to go get me supplies and I would clean the bathroom. Otherwise, he could clean it himself.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot the most important part of that. He decided the supplies weren't important, so he cleaned it himself.
    Last edited by valzyf; 2013-01-21 at 08:13 AM.

Delivering pizzas (or any other delivery) is a thankless, tiring, dangerous job. It is a real job. The service industry is no more or less important and is, in fact, a huge part of the culture (if you want to call it that) in this country. You smug assholes who think you're better than someone because you go to your piece of shit office cubicle job and waste your life getting fat, sitting in a square all day have no room to talk. Those of you that live in the United States and have the balls to tell someone to "Get a real job and make your employer pay you more" are pretty sacrosanct for being dime a dozen keyboard clickers. And here's the deal, fuckwads: Please, order some food and don't tip. I promise you that you'll get the service (and quality) you deserve. Having worked in food service for years earlier in life, I can tell you there's always some entitled asshole; some smug suit who thinks he's better. I was so glad to work at a family owned restaurant where I could confront freeloading assholes and oversensitive cockbags and shut the door in their faces. Most people don't have the pleasure.

Basically, I used to work at a job that paid really poorly and I really hated it. So I'm on a crusade against the people who wouldn't give me handouts.

Is that the gist?

Also, I hope you get banned for using such profane language.

and also completely offtopic just for the lulz;
    Computer programmers, writers, network infrastructure maintenance/design, website design, technological entrepreneurs of all kinds... DIME A DOZEN KEYBOARD CLICKERS.

GET A REAL JOB.
    DELIVER A PIZZA

that was just too funny, i actually laughed
    Last edited by Huike; 2013-01-21 at 08:23 AM.

And what's not working hard doing your job gonna do about it?

Servers who do that end up losing anyway, cause i've never heard of a single person who decided to tip better because if bad service. What i've seen is customers getting pissed and contacting management, which usually leads to someone getting fired.
    Bad service deserves no tip. I'm not going to dispute that. However if you always get bad service at a place while other have good service, maybe its you.

I've seen customers getting pissed and contacting management too. When it's poor service due to a poor employee they'll get fired. When its poor service due to not tipping the management is normally understanding.

At my old place we had some trouble keeping track of the good tippers. We had in our system a house type to know what type of house to look for, we never used it. One option was "trailer". I had the other drivers change the house type to Trailer when someone didn't tip.

If a person was on the Trailer list then their food was getting there last. We didn't do anything to make sure their food was cold but we didn't do anything to make sure their food was hot either.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2013-01-21 at 08:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate people who don't tip. No, I'm not joking - I fucking hate them.

When I was in high school, my family was in a very bad way. My dad was a bum, and my mom was working three jobs just to keep the mortgage paid and food on the table. Tips were literally the difference between having food and going hungry on a regular basis.

People who don't tip in the US ought not order in the first place. And I don't care if you say, "Oh, well, their employers should pay for it." That's great to say, but when was the last time employers did everything they're supposed to do? How about never?

Seriously. Tip your servers and your delivery drivers. If you don't, you're an ass. And don't think they don't know where you live - they do. And you will forever be an unmitigated douchebag in their eyes. They'll remember you. And the next time you order something, you may want to order from somewhere else. I'm just saying...
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account

Since when is not tipping someone considered freeloading? Perhaps when you didn't get tipped you should have grown a pair and confront your boss about getting a raise instead of taking it out on customers that don't think the same way that you do. But then again i'm sure with the way you talk you would get nothing but a swift kick up the ass no?

Also, I hardly see how delivering food is a dangerous job as opposed to people that put their life on the line everyday at work such as a cop or fireman.

If you can't take it when someone does not give you a tip at your job and come onto an internet forum to bitch and cry about it then it's pretty clear that you should be working somewhere else.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Bad service deserves no tip. I'm not going to dispute that. However if you always get bad service at a place while other have good service, maybe its you.

I've seen customers getting pissed and contacting management too. When it's poor service due to a poor employee they'll get fired. When its poor service due to not tipping the management is normally understanding.

At my old place we had some trouble keeping track of the good tippers. We had in our system a house type to know what type of house to look for, we never used it. One option was "trailer". I had the other drivers change the house type to Trailer when someone didn't tip.

If a person was on the Trailer list then their food was getting there last. We didn't do anything to make sure their food was cold but we didn't do anything to make sure their food was hot either.
    Except that the job that person is being payed to do is treat the customers well. Whether or not someone gives you extra money shouldnt factor into how you preform your job. That kind of attitude will always end up hurting them. Having a system like that in place probably didnt do them any favors.

I usually have all my money in my card because it's much easier for me to manage and i dont know a pizza place that lets me put my tip on my card. Sometimes i dont carry cash, if that means i get worse treatement im never going to order from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzgerald77 View Post
    Since when is not tipping someone considered freeloading?
    The cost of your food is lower because employers assume you're going to tip. You tip if you get good service. If you don't get good service you should not tip and tell the manager you got bad service.

If there are more people like you then everyone's cost per meal is going to go up no matter what the service is like. Your getting a reduced cost meal thanks to other people. That's called freeloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalent1989 View Post
    Are you real that silly to think a delivery driver goes around carrying a cash register to give you exact change? If tipping is an act of goodness than how is not tipping an act of neutrality. I would have assumed that getting off your lazy ass to pick up your order yourself would have been the act of neutrality.

Actually - in Australia they do carry change because tipping is NOT necessary nor customary because the government ensures workers are paid fair wages. If we purchase a product, we shouldn't feel obligated to tip just because your company isn't paying high enough wages. The only time we ever tip here is when we receive exceptional service and we feel that person went above and beyond what is expected and deserves a little appreciation in return.

I did use to live in the USA and Canada and I hate tipping - absolutely hated it. Did I tip? Yes of course I did because I knew these poor guys were working off the lowest of low wages (nor their fault, but the governments!!!!).

Except that the job that person is being payed to do is treat the customers well.
    Actually the job is to bring people food.

Whether or not someone gives you extra money shouldnt factor into how you preform your job. That kind of attitude will always end up hurting them. Having a system like that in place probably didnt do them any favors.
    And employers shouldn't factor in tips into employees wages. They do, so therefor you're expected to tip. If you don't then expect to be last in line.

I usually have all my money in my card because it's much easier for me to manage and i dont know a pizza place that lets me put my tip on my card. Sometimes i dont carry cash, if that means i get worse treatement im never going to order from them.
    Every pizza place I have ever been to has a line on the receipt for a tip.

Also, your driver doesn't care if you don't order if you're not going to tip. In fact they would rather you not order so you don't waste their time and gas.
    Last edited by Extrazero8; 2013-01-21 at 08:23 AM.