Thread: The NON-FOTM

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

The NON-FOTM

Just had a curious question pop in my head. I know when patch notes and stuff say oh xclass will be FOTM, 90 billion kazillion (no for all you troll and such, clearly not actual numbers so shh) people roll one just to be FOTM. But alot of the time out of curiosity, when i'm not pvping or something on my main i fool around with the "bad" classes, just to make it like a personaly challagen i guess? like rolling aff lock this go around or was running UH dk and my rogue, and didnt have much luck with the lock or rogue, but once i got into my DK again it was fun, and not as "Bad" as people were saying. i was just curious, do other people do this too? Roll the "bad" toon just to prove something, or see how good you really are, or maybe just to see why everyone say's they're bad? just a thought.

ele shaman for life. Aside from s8, we've always been at the bottom and that makes it more fun for me.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Play LOLret and try to solo a healer. I dare you.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

I rerolled dk, my main is a hunter but fuck it, got bored of playing it for 6+ years xD, dk are so awesome the play style, so even if they sucks I'd enjoy it
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    In PvE, the pronounced differences between the top DPS spec of any class is often not as large as world of logs would have you believe, solely because there just aren't any good players logging parses for the underpowered specs, which exaggerates the disparity between the good and bad DPS specs of one class.

In PvP, you'll frequently find that the average notion the community holds towards a particular spec is at least somewhere in the neighborhood of being correct. As you found out, while UH wasn't terrible, it wasn't the sustained damage powerhouse it has historically been known for.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    ele shaman for life. Aside from s8, we've always been at the bottom and that makes it more fun for me.
    forgot season 1/2/3 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people pick FOTM class to be OP and laugh at everyone, other people pick non-FOTM class to be UP and wine on forums and feel more special. Neither of these reasons to pick a class are good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Play anything and try to solo a healer...

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 08:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Some people pick FOTM class to be OP and laugh at everyone, other people pick non-FOTM class to be UP and wine on forums and feel more special. Neither of these reasons to pick a class are good.
    I play fotm because I always play classes that can deal with rogues (the flavor of the game) in 1v1, and the same fotm classes seem to always be nerfed so they can't handle rogues anymore, which means I gotta roll fotm again and again as they become rogue fodder at GC's hands.
    Last edited by mmoca71904de22; 2013-01-21 at 08:00 AM.

Deleted
    I do it. Sometimes im successfull but sometimes i understand why Blizzard cant even balance this game.

I have had the same main for 5 years. Whether the class was doing good or poorly, I have stuck with it.

I also have a friend who has played the same toon since BC. No alts. He has stuck by his main faithfully through thick and thin.

On the opposite side of the coin... I honestly do know people who just reroll whatever is considered "OP" each season. Sadly, I think this makes up a majority of the playerbase. I think it's sad, but people will be people. They want some kind of edge. Even if they don't find the class fun, they play it anyway because it's OP. This is stupid to me. I'd rather just play something I enjoy.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-01-21 at 09:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played a priest to mid wotlk, priest was shit in PvP until that point. No point doing arena since resto/arms and Holydin/UHDK. Rolled a feral and have been quite happy with it. Only FoTM i've ever rolled was a DK, got it up couple months ago and... Well shit it so cash, doing dailies has never been so fun. Pull 10 mobs, loot, rinse and repeat. Downtime is absolutely 0 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmmmBacon View Post
    forgot season 1/2/3 ?

I'll take your word on that, I didn't start arenas until middle of s3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    I'll take your word on that, I didn't start arenas until middle of s3
    Ele shammies at the end of wrath could literally one-shot you.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Oh look, more ret QQ. NO CLASS CAN SOLO A COMPETENT HEALER.

If you want a consistently non-fotm class/spec, either of the shaman dps specs work wonders.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 06:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    And then there are those rare players that pick the most UP class and do wonders with it. Getting shit on by an aff lock in 5.0 as a warrior really hit me where it hurts lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Oh look, more ret QQ. NO CLASS CAN SOLO A COMPETENT HEALER.
    warriors can. my dk can solo a priest.

that's about it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    warriors can. my dk can solo a priest.

that's about it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    COMPETENT HEALER.
    That's an important part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syh View Post
    That's an important part.
    I have a tough time in 2s on my DK, but I can make shit happen after given enough time.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

Deleted
    The thing is... In random battlegrounds, duels, world pvp, or rated BGs it's hard to really recognize what is fotm, because there are so many other variables present.

Unless you are like an extremely good player and are sitting in a top 10 team on your battlegroup (or just haven't hit a 'wall' yet) you will most likely be sitting below 65-70% win ratio. And this will be the case both if you are playing at 2300 and 1700 rating. So while you may "think" that you are doing well with a good win ratio at 1700 rating playing RMP or some other crappy comp, once you get higher (2-2.2k) you will start facing fotm comps 95% of the time, and you will quickly realise that you would be much better playing a better class, because you are unable to get further as your current class.

So yes, you may be doing well at your current rating, but by playing a better comp/class, you would be doing well at a rating 300-500 higher than your current.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    I have a tough time in 2s on my DK, but I can make shit happen after given enough time.
    That's not 1v1, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    Ele shammies at the end of wrath could literally one-shot you.
    I acknowledged that in my first post, in s8.