Page 74 of 102 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Most players just go for 40STR+40DEX

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt it. Getting 40/40 gains you barely any benefit for weapons with E / D scaling and some C scaling items like Varangian sword scales poorly with Dex despite being a C scaling but scale better with Str.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure of the math but what Remilia said is basically true, leveling str provides better damage on most occasions where the difference in scaling between str and dex is close, and on low scaling weapons a raw infusion is recommended instead of pumping souls on stats. The good thing is you can play around to see whats best before losing the soul vessel.

Just remember the Old Leo Ring, the prerequisites and benefits, it's what makes dex builds great.

Edit: remember the diminishing returns on str and dex, especially after the 40 mark.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-08-29 at 04:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got the Blue Dagger today, it it any good, if so, what kinda build would use it? And that blue Smelter Demon is an asshole, can't get any summons to help me with him (not including the NPC summons).
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Dagger is for a magic casting build. So you'd have your catalyst on one hand and the dagger on the other. Doesn't affect magic damaging weapons as I found out myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Blue Dagger is for a magic casting build. So you'd have your catalyst on one hand and the dagger on the other. Doesn't affect magic damaging weapons as I found out myself.
    That's pretty neat, may have to test to see if it'll work with the Blue Flame.

Also, should anyone wants to know how to get it:

Majestic Greatsword, looks alot alike Artorias' weapon
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Deleted
    I doubt it. Getting 40/40 gains you barely any benefit for weapons with E / D scaling and some C scaling items like Varangian sword scales poorly with Dex despite being a C scaling but scale better with Str.
    Thats why you use weapons with good Scaling. /facepalm
    I use a Curved Dragon Greatsword which is B/S if I remember and a Sun Sword which is A/A.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karjo View Post
    You don't need to. Plenty of weapons with horrible scaling out there (especially dex) that do excellent damage with infusions, without investing souls on stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karjo View Post
    I use a Curved Dragon Greatsword which is B/S if I remember and a Sun Sword which is A/A.
    Unless there was a nerf I'm unaware about, Varangian Sword is the best straight sword in terms of pure damage output at 40/40. It comes at 355 at 40/40 than the sun sword at 350. You can match the 350 with 40/35 for the Varangian freeing you up 5 points.
    Issue isn't for pure damage though. The thing is freeing up some of those stats to be used in something else. Whether you're a Str or Dex build, having more stats in vig, end, vit, or maybe go down a magic or faith to get some supportive spells can net you better results. An enchanted dagger is very very powerful if you've never done it.

Deleted
    I have 40DEX/STR and 45 INT ...together with 30VGR, 35END and 40VIT

10+ Year Old Account
    And you are level...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yummy with that strength ring in the dlc and the Fume ultra great sword S strength scaling I'm considering respecing my faith/strength warrior to pure strenght as I used to be in the first DS.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2014-08-30 at 11:05 PM.

Deleted
    And you are level...?
    ~225

Picked also up the Fume Greatsword, but have not upgraded it. I need more Twinkling to upgrade all that Armor I want.
    And why are you still Faith? I tried it but since the Spears only have 2-3 uses left, its not really usable anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Yummy with that strength ring in the dlc and the Fume ultra great sword S strength scaling I'm considering respecing my faith/strength warrior to pure strenght as I used to be in the first DS.
    Pure strength builds are good, shittons of damage and craptons of range AND you can poise enemies till kingdom come, but all the new DLC bosses are really fast and graduated from the university of backstrafing at the top of their class. You will have a very hard time trying to get a hit on them without getting a hit yourself with all the slow-ass strength weapons around...

Fast stabbing DEX weapons with Old Leo Ring is the future. Or well scaling twinblades.

Oh and DLC strength ring only gives 5 strength. Which ain't bad but isn't amazing either.

Also, has anyone beaten the new bosses at NG+5 or higher? I'm having a really hard time personally, like over 3 hours of wipes on new Smelter so far.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-08-31 at 07:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Pure strength builds are good, shittons of damage and craptons of range AND you can poise enemies till kingdom come, but all the new DLC bosses are really fast and graduated from the university of backstrafing at the top of their class. You will have a very hard time trying to get a hit on them without getting a hit yourself with all the slow-ass strength weapons around...

Fast stabbing DEX weapons with Old Leo Ring is the future. Or well scaling twinblades.

Oh and DLC strength ring only gives 5 strength. Which ain't bad but isn't amazing either.

Also, has anyone beaten the new bosses at NG+5 or higher? I'm having a really hard time personally, like over 3 hours of wipes on new Smelter so far.
    Hehe yeah I agree with you I'm still strength/faith build with lightning defender greatsword + lightning glutch ring even though they reduce it's scaling to B instead of S back in the days but I still hit pretty hard with it hehe.

Yeah just defeated Raime at NG+4 he has waaaaay a lot of health compare to NG and NG+. Gonna try Alonne later to test my might raawr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    Hehe yeah I agree with you I'm still strength/faith build with lightning defender greatsword + lightning glutch ring even though they reduce it's scaling to B instead of S back in the days but I still hit pretty hard with it hehe.

Yeah just defeated Raime at NG+4 he has waaaaay a lot of health compare to NG and NG+. Gonna try Alonne later to test my might raawr.
    Since the DLC came out and my super heavy/slow Crypt Blacksword build became useless for the fast bosses (for NG+4), I've been trying out the build speedrunners use for the "All Bosses" category. It's extremely legit.

The build revolves around the basic Rapier, its super fast stab animation and really powerful rings that buff it to oblivion. At around 150 SL (NG char) my stats are like 30-40STR 40DEX 30END ~25ADP (100AGI) and the rest went to VGR.
    Rings: Old Leo Ring, Ring of Blades, Flynn's Ring (you wear no armor), Chloranthy Ring.

For bosses, with Bright bug and Resin you do about 1000 counter damage per second with ~1.8 stabs per second, each doing 600 damage. It's like cheating, as long as you counter (which is almost always).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-08-31 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Curious, anyone killed sir fume dude without him going to two hand gigantic doom sword? I managed it when I abandoned my watcher's greatsword for a bit. Cause of that I was wondering if he was timed or % based and he was bugged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since the DLC came out and my super heavy/slow Crypt Blacksword build became useless for the fast bosses (for NG+4), I've been trying out the build speedrunners use for the "All Bosses" category. It's extremely legit.

The build revolves around the basic Rapier, its super fast stab animation and really powerful rings that buff it to oblivion. At around 150 SL (NG char) my stats are like 30-40STR 40DEX 30END ~25ADP (100AGI) and the rest went to VGR.
    Rings: Old Leo Ring, Ring of Blades, Flynn's Ring (you wear no armor), Chloranthy Ring.

For bosses, with Bright bug and Resin you do about 1000 counter damage per second with ~1.8 stabs per second, each doing 600 damage. It's like cheating, as long as you counter (which is almost always).
    Indeed I noticed heavy build will have a hard time in this DLC...I'm also tempting to use Fume straight sword the dark damage + moveset + range is one of the best one handers in the game so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious, anyone killed sir fume dude without him going to two hand gigantic doom sword? I managed it when I abandoned my watcher's greatsword for a bit. Cause of that I was wondering if he was timed or % based and he was bugged.
    The interesting thing about Raime is that if you have pieces of Velstadt gears equipped he will skip his first phase which is awesome thing lorewise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like Smelter etc, Fume has a very high chance of triggering his special ability once hp prerequisites have been met, you were probably just extremely lucky that he didn't do it. But it might also be a bug, if other people noticed it.

Deleted
    Like Smelter etc, Fume has a very high chance of triggering his special ability once hp prerequisites have been met, you were probably just extremely lucky that he didn't do it. But it might also be a bug, if other people noticed it.
    Once when I helped someone he got in the Fiery-Ragemode after like 2 Hits at 98% o_0