Looking to upgrade GPU

Now that the Steam sale is over and I finally downloaded all my new games for cheap (ehehehe....), I am somewhat ambitious to upgrade my video card to really get the most out of all my games. Some highlights include Skyrim High Definition, Arkham City, The Witcher 2, Dishonored, and so forth. I really want to maximize, as best as possible, these games. Above all I want to make the computer as future-proof as possible within my budget, as I don't foresee buying a major new part for it in a couple years (excepting replacements to dead parts). Here's my current setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yRKi. My CPU is OC'd to 4.4 GHz, if that is necessary, and I'm not looking to overclock a GPU.

I am thinking about a GTX 660ti or a 670, but I wonder if my Power supply will work with it? I can JUST stretch my budget to cover a 670's price, so I'm not really interested in going above the $400 (US) mark. I also noticed that a lot of my games seem to be developed with nVidia in mind, so I've been looking into those, but I may not turn down another AMD card, given the latest Catalyst drivers.

What should I upgrade to, assuming a roughly 350- to 400-USD budget?

Thanks to Zil for the awesome sig!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your power supply ought to be able to handle anything you throw at it, as long as it isnt dual video cards.

Unfortunately nvidia sort of has a product gap between the 660ti, and the 670. Your best budget/performance bet would likely be a 7950.

EDIT: You mentioned the Catalyst drivers. I should point out that 13.1 does not fix the frame latency spike issue that ATI has been ignoring for over a year. 13.2 fixes SOME games (Skyrim).
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-01-22 at 01:12 AM.

What is concerning is that AMD seems to fix this a couple games each update. Many people reporting errors installing the new drivers as well. Performance wise though, you would want to consider them still due to their excellent price/performance ratio. I'm assuming they will have fixed their issues within 3-4 months or the release of the 8xxx series will be a huuuge anti-climax for them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does frustrate me that ATI cards seem to have better fps/dollar, and I feel obligated to recommend them, even though I'd never use one myself.

Taking a glance at the newegg searches, the 7950 is about $100 cheaper than the 670, and this link has them both at the same tier... Does this look accurate? As much as I wanted to try an nVidia, I guess it'll be a 7950 for me then. Are the card makers consistent between brands? Are Gigabyte and MSI still good makers of both ATI and Geforce? Or should I look at some other manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by Vius View Post
    Taking a glance at the newegg searches, the 7950 is about $100 cheaper than the 670, and this link has them both at the same tier... Does this look accurate?
    it's accurate if it's considering overclocked graphics cards since the 7950 can overclock better than the 670, so if you overclock them both and compare them, their performances become quite similar.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Taking a glance at the newegg searches, the 7950 is about $100 cheaper than the 670, and this link has them both at the same tier... Does this look accurate? As much as I wanted to try an nVidia, I guess it'll be a 7950 for me then. Are the card makers consistent between brands? Are Gigabyte and MSI still good makers of both ATI and Geforce? Or should I look at some other manufacturer?
    Gigabytel, MSI, Sapphire, XFX, Asus are all good brands for GPU's.

Deleted
    you could buy my 670 for cheap when the geforce titan arrives? (obviously joking here mods)
    personally now are hard times for the gpu market with new series being expected in within the 3-6 months timeframe.
    might be a longshot but i've seen lots of cases of people buying a SLI/CF setup and finding out it is overkill later on and selling their 2nd card for quite a good price and those are usually in very good condition aswell. (if you aren't afraid of buying a card second hand, some warranties are transferable even)
    the longshot can yield a nice 670/680 or 7970 Ghz depending on what is out there on the market currently.

Will probably pick up this Sapphire Card. The Free Shipping is really nice and it has the two DVI ports I need. Thanks everyone for your help.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will probably pick up this Sapphire Card. The Free Shipping is really nice and it has the two DVI ports I need. Thanks everyone for your help.
    That's a really good card thou (IIRC) 7950's are having some issues with the new driver I could be wrong thou.