Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think it's plain that anyone who believes himself to be part of the plague should commit suicide. Why wouldn't they?
    The question you should ask is "Why would they?". Plague is a product of a species comitting things necessary for their survival on other species' expense. I lack the words required to describe the stupidity required to assume the said species would commit suicide solely based on what they had become as a result of their evolutionary progress.

    As for us being a plague, we can be described as such in the borader meaning of the word, similar to plague of frogs or the like, mut not quite fitting the tighter definition of plague as in an actual disease. One species rising to dominance over all others is a natural phase of the evolutionary cycle, and has happened multiple times in the past.
    Likewise, said species becoming too dominant and ultimately extincting itself and a large portion of other species by being too dominant is nothing out of the ordinary, either, starting from to ancient bacteria that chocked dead on their own feces; oxygen. The only "saving" humans can do is to save themselves from themselves. If they can't and exploit the world until they chocke themselves, boohoo. Business as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. Que next dominance cycle.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Earth without humans would be pointless. No other species has made a contribution to science or technology since we wiped out the neanderthals. Granted, I may have just hurt my own argument there...
    Earth is already pointless, with or without humans. No matter what we've achieved it can all be wiped out by one natural event (meteor impact, etc).

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    The question you should ask is "Why would they?". Plague is a product of a species comitting things necessary for their survival on other species' expense. I lack the words required to describe the stupidity required to assume the said species would commit suicide solely based on what they had become as a result of their evolutionary progress.

    As for us being a plague, we can be described as such in the borader meaning of the word, similar to plague of frogs or the like, mut not quite fitting the tighter definition of plague as in an actual disease. One species rising to dominance over all others is a natural phase of the evolutionary cycle, and has happened multiple times in the past.
    Likewise, said species becoming too dominant and ultimately extincting itself and a large portion of other species by being too dominant is nothing out of the ordinary, either, starting from to ancient bacteria that chocked dead on their own feces; oxygen. The only "saving" humans can do is to save themselves from themselves. If they can't and exploit the world until they chocke themselves, boohoo. Business as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. Que next dominance cycle.
    This guy knows what's up.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    The question you should ask is "Why would they?". Plague is a product of a species comitting things necessary for their survival on other species' expense. I lack the words required to describe the stupidity required to assume the said species would commit suicide solely based on what they had become as a result of their evolutionary progress.
    Presumably, plague in this context is not being used as merely an adjective regarding behavior, but an admonition against that behavior. The best way to stop that, on an individual level, is to kill oneself. The least someone that believed that the plague of humanity must be stopped could do is choose to not have kids - Attenborough utterly failed in that regard, making it plain that he's expressing the sort of "I've got mine, fuck y'all" sentiment that everyone should despise.

  5. #25
    Legendary! draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    6,900
    Although the term plague is a little off, I do agree with david, I expect one day nature will 'fight' back and well end up with some new killer virsus plague type think that cuts the population down.

  6. #26
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,347
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Although the term plague is a little off, I do agree with david, I expect one day nature will 'fight' back and well end up with some new killer virsus plague type think that cuts the population down.
    Unless cancer becomes an airborne contagion. no.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well sure, we can help slow overpopulation without suicide, but if someone is really committed to their cause, they'll just off themselves rather than having a couple kids of their own (as Attenborough did).
    Well that is what he believes in and what the group he belongs to proposes, replacement not expansion, and certainly not extermination or eugenics, forced sterilisation and all the rest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We don't have an over population issue. As population grows we run out of resources, but that is a resource issue not a population one.
    Well a population outgrowing it's supply of resources it literally what overpopulation means.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2013-01-22 at 02:30 PM.

  8. #28
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,980
    Quote Originally Posted by kouby View Post
    So if you believe this type of shit why haven't you committed suicide yet?
    I'm gay. I don't intend to populate the planet any further.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Human overpopulation? We don't have a population issue, we have, will have a resource issue though..
    Isn't that overpopulation in a way?
    Testing: Will probably be toooooo big.

  10. #30
    Stood in the Fire Septik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Although the term plague is a little off, I do agree with david, I expect one day nature will 'fight' back and well end up with some new killer virsus plague type think that cuts the population down.
    That used to happen all the time.. now look at stuff like SARS and swine flu from a couple years ago.. bunch of old and immunodeficient people kicked off, nothing like the past.
    In 1976 there was a H1N1 outbreak that killed one person, meanwhile 25 people died from complications from the inoculation. In 1918 the same virus took out millions as the Spanish Flu.
    We are way stronger now vs then and the tech makes us even better, probably not going to see serious outbreaks as often or as deadly as we used too, aside from media hyped shit like SARS, unless its something new that takes out like a billion people world wide, not looking forward to that..

  11. #31
    Mankind needs to be wiped out for the good of this planet.

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Presumably, plague in this context is not being used as merely an adjective regarding behavior, but an admonition against that behavior. The best way to stop that, on an individual level, is to kill oneself. The least someone that believed that the plague of humanity must be stopped could do is choose to not have kids - Attenborough utterly failed in that regard, making it plain that he's expressing the sort of "I've got mine, fuck y'all" sentiment that everyone should despise.
    What's up with your disrespect towards our generation's greatest naturalist?

    I don't know how old Attenborough's children are, but he himself is 86 now. Say he had his kids at the age of 35, in 1961. The world's entire population in 1961 was less than half of what it is right now. Back then 3.0 billion people lived on the planet, compared to the 7 billion that live on it now. I wasn't around back then, but I don't think overpopulation was on a lot of people's mind back then.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    Mankind needs to be wiped out for the good of this planet.
    Yet you're still here?

  14. #34
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,178
    He is an incredibly intelligent and wise man. Also he's not advocating death, murder suicide etc. He is suggesting we need to alter our behavior as to not diminish everything good we have going for us as a planet.

  15. #35
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    He is an incredibly intelligent and wise man.
    Of course he is.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

  16. #36
    The Insane Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Not all humans are a plague, it's just our pattern as a collective organism.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 02:04 PM ----------



    Depending on your perspective it is either of the two, you can't sit there and say exclusively that we don't have a population issue to those who believe population control is the solution. In the same way I believe you make the assumption that funding ways to increase our resource generation is the answer so it's a resource problem to you.
    If we solved resource problems we'd be able to accommodation more people. I don't like the whole "WE'RE SUFFERING FROM OVERPOPULATION!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!" When it's more like "WE'RE SUFFERING FROM OVERPOPULATION BECAUSE WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF RESOURCES!!! We have tons of space for people though."t

  17. #37
    Titan Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Of course he is.
    And why don't you consider him to be so?

  18. #38
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Earth without humans would be pointless. No other species has made a contribution to science or technology since we wiped out the neanderthals. Granted, I may have just hurt my own argument there...
    It comes down to a macro or micro thing. As far as we know, no other species cares about mathematics or sciences (although technology is present in some species) therefore in the absence of humans the world would have maintained environmental equilibrium. In our eyes our advances far outweigh the damage we have done. However our advances largely only benefit us by comparison, thus why Earth may view us as a cancer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  19. #39
    I 100% agree. If we go on like this, we will wipe out most wild animals, completely fuck the environment, more wars, more chaos, more control, less freedom, i could go on..
    If I'm not mistaken muslim women have the highest birthrate especially in 3rd world countries. And with the development of the 3rd world, it's just a ticking time bomb.

  20. #40
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    24,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    And why don't you consider him to be so?
    Cause the *Humans are a plague* Makes me facepalm.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron Big fanboy of Yrel now. Love her now

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •