Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

No New Classes: Pulling In The Reins

I'm not really sure that WoW needs any new classes. We've got a ton as it stands right now and each of them has 3 possible play styles. Now, that's just my opinion, but I'm sure I'm not really alone in it. Rather than making MORE CLASSES or MORE RACES, maybe we should just give each current race an extra class option.

I am NOT endorsing giving every race, every class, and pushing ultimate homgenization, cause that would make the game downright boring. I am suggesting a small scale similar to Cata in bringing ONE previously unplayable class into each race and still keeping it real. Like a gnome hunter (cause goblins can hunt) with a mechanical pet, or Orc druids (since they've been living and learning from trolls), or something along these lines.

I'm just tired of seeing the "new hero class" ideas popping up all over. We don't need more classes that start at 55 and suck the fun out of the game for 5 months while everyone and their mother levels one. Bad enough we got stuck with Pandas. They could have just introduced the Monk class and left the playable race out of the equation. Just my 2 cents.

An extra class option for each race would be a very dull thing to do, so dull it would have to be incorporated into something much bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of adding more classes, how about balancing the ones we already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe that would be a bit boring. Don't get me wrong, I would approve of new race/class combos opening up like in Cataclysm (not too many, though), but I believe that it is hardly comparable to the impact a new class has.

I will agree that more "hero" classes is silly. But more normal classes is fine. I do, however, believe that at some point they'll have to stop doing new classes. Each class has 3 possible specs (except Druids who have 4), meaning that for each class added, it's 3 more variables into balancing the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Need 1 more class: Vanquisher tokens have 4 classes, Protectors have 4, Conquerors only 3. Plates have 3 users, cloth has 3, leather has 3. Mail only has 2 users.

Everything will be balanced with a 12th class!

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Needs more of this, and less demon hunter fanbois.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Need 1 more class: Vanquisher tokens have 4 classes, Protectors have 4, Conquerors only 3. Plates have 3 users, cloth has 3, leather has 3. Mail only has 2 users.

Everything will be balanced with a 12th class!
    It's not QUITE that simpo.
    Vanq: Rog (1 set), DK (2 sets), Mage (1 set), Druid (3...4 sets) = 7/8 sets of tier
    Prot: Warrior (2 sets), Monk (3 sets), Hunter (1 set), Shaman (3 sets) = 9 sets of tier
    Conq: Priest (2 sets), Paladin (3 sets), Lock (1 set) = 6 sets of tier.
    So yes, could likely have another Conq class, but if you look at the breakdown of players, I'd wager that a lot of the multiple sets see significantly less representation than others. More RET paladins than all of rogues combined, etc etc. Given class popularity, isn't that WHY monk was added to protector, since that token has the lower-played classes on it to start? Seems pretty even now, in terms of overall populations.

Also, the secondary stats make the gear type a little...weird to break down too...
    Cloth is either hit (serves Mage, Lock, Spriest) or spirit (serves Priests of all spec)
    Leather is either agi (rog, 2x druids, 2x monks) or int (MW, 2x druids)
    Mail is either agi (Hunter, enh) or int (2x shamans)
    Plate is either StrDPS (1 warrior, 1-2 paladin, 1 DK), StrTank (1 war, 0-1 pal, 1 DK) or Int (1 pal).

I'd rather see Hpal's go to using STR plate, and have str give spell power for them and jsut scrap the int plate cluttering up loot tables.
    I'd also like to see spirit cloth go away for similar reasons. Would make it a LITTLE less cluttered in the already bloated loot tables.
    Last edited by Nairobi; 2013-01-22 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    I dont think that the majority of the people who already play WoW, or these who plan to do so, will fall for a TV commercial which states something like this:

***** EXPANSION V !!!! *******

~ We finally brought balance to our classes
    .. end.

I still want a demon hunter class ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Needs more of this, and less demon hunter fanbois.
    It would be nice to see current classes balanced a bit more and CC brought back under control. A good fight consists of using all of your options, ending up on CD, and then having to use your wits to get you skill to help save yer hide.

A 12th Class that wears mail is fine with me as long as they are a lvl 1 class. No more DK non-sense.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    instead of devoting time to developing a new class i for one would like to see them just seperate the way abilities and spells work between pve and pvp. they said it would take a little bit of time so my theory is the time it takes/took for them to come up with a new classes' talents and abilities would instead be devoted to seperating all classes' talents/abilities from the way they work in pve and pvp.

one might argue that it would inevitably still get criticism but i think its far past time for them to do this

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastmasterGuardian View Post
    It would be nice to see current classes balanced a bit more and CC brought back under control. A good fight consists of using all of your options, ending up on CD, and then having to use your wits to get you skill to help save yer hide.

A 12th Class that wears mail is fine with me as long as they are a lvl 1 class. No more DK non-sense.
    Does it hurt your feelings if a class starts at level 55, or what is your reason? DKs starting at 55 is perfectly fine, since they're fallen heroes of all races and classes.

We need just one more to balance out tier tokens and have 3 of every armor type, then we can stop. =P

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    instead of devoting time to developing a new class i for one would like to see them just seperate the way abilities and spells work between pve and pvp. they said it would take a little bit of time so my theory is the time it takes/took for them to come up with a new classes' talents and abilities would instead be devoted to seperating all classes' talents/abilities from the way they work in pve and pvp.

one might argue that it would inevitably still get criticism but i think its far past time for them to do this
    I could go for this. Instead of a new class, make a PvP version of each of the current specs, so for Druid (since I am a druid I would know the examples), you would have:

Guardian - PvE
    Guardian - PvP
    Feral - PvE
    Feral - PvP
    Balance - PvE
    Balance - PvP
    Resto - PvE
    Resto - PvP

Then if you only PvP, your spec is more suited to your playstyle. Plus, if something gets out of whack in PvE, PvP is unaffected and vice versa.

New class always gives new breath to game...

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    Does it hurt your feelings if a class starts at level 55, or what is your reason? DKs starting at 55 is perfectly fine, since they're fallen heroes of all races and classes.

I am ok with DKs at 55, as it was a trial run for Blizz and they were deemed a hero class. I just want to avoid another bumrush of a class that only gives you a few levels to master it before you are at endgame already. One class doing the "fallen hero" thing is cute. A second is unnecessary.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel classes are the best way to add more variety to the game as it gets older.

Blizz tried revamping old content, but most players only got to enjoy that for 60 levels. While a new class, if done correctly, can bring enjoyment from level 1 to level 255. It gives you a return each time you add something to it.

Not even races have that ability. As they tend to get stale after the expansion they were added in.

If you ask me, we may see classes added more often than before. Either formalizing a "new class every other expansion" pattern, or sometimes having 2 class-adding expansions in a row.

---------- Post added 2013-01-22 at 02:45 PM ----------

I am ok with DKs at 55, as it was a trial run for Blizz and they were deemed a hero class. I just want to avoid another bumrush of a class that only gives you a few levels to master it before you are at endgame already. One class doing the "fallen hero" thing is cute. A second is unnecessary.
    Personally I found DK became a lot easier to master when Blizz gave up the "all specs can tank" experiment.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

There needs to be at least one more class.

It needs to wear mail because three use cloth, leather and plate. It would also be good if it used ranged weapons as the only hunters use those.

How about instead of putting such a microscopic focus on balance they start putting in fun factor as the priority? They've already said balance is the enemy of diversity, fun, and all of that good stuff. The fact is arenas are ruining this game at least from a PvP perspective. Then lead designer Rob Pardo even said it himself, arenas aren't healthy for a game like World of Warcraft, and force the developers to put too much manpower in looking to balance everything under the sun.

It will never work.

I know I'm going off-topic but seriously, they need to make some weighty decisions on this game like completely abandoning support on arenas, even Heroic Raids don't have such a brutal demand for absolute balance. In the end they would make creating classes a lot more FUN.

This game has way too much focus on theory-crafting, math, and balance. None of those are fun for 99.9% of gamers. They need to tone it down considerably then think about the classes and making more.

I'd rather have more specs for current classes than new ones.

Leveling does very little in getting you to master your class before endgame. Especially pre-60 leveling.

I'm not a fan of classes starting at a higher level because it makes the lower level zones more deserted. However, I do not try to disguise it under "level 1-60 makes you a better player for endgame"....since it doesn't.