Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Desks, tables, and everything computer surface/workspace!

This shall be the thread for further discussion and movement of desk conversations that seem to pop up every now and then but more recently lately in the Post Your Gaming Setup! megathread! So, suggest and discuss pros and cons away!

EDIT:

Here is everything that led up to this thread being created, to keep people in the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    In Sweden Ikea is very cheap and I wouldn't call the stuff they make crap, most of it lasts 10+ years.

I think your desk is a bit overburdened, looks like it is sagging in the middle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The Galant desks are $200+ but essentially tables. My desk, as much as I hate it, has a lot of extra features and such and was only $150~.
    $200 for a desk like that is nothing around here.

The Galant desks are modular design of high quality. They have cheaper desks with extra stuff also. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...kspaces/20649/
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Getting a proper, big desk suitable for executives around here costs around 6000 SEK and above. I was for a while (and still am I guess) interested in an Ipsos straight office desk, 200/230x100cm. It's somewhere around 21 000 SEK, which is ~$3200. They can be found for cheaper, but then it's often second hand.

http://www.morekontor.se/skrivbord/i..._rakt_bord.htm

My advice to anyone looking to get a desk but don't want to pay a fortune; build one. You can get the stand/legs from IKEA or similar and a tabletop from a warehouse/timberyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    The IKEA stuff we get here in the states is very overpriced and the build quality leaves a lot to be desired of.

It looks that way yes, but its actually just the angle of the picture, and how shitty my old camera phone was. That desk is dead level, I've checked it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Ikea furniture is fine and good as long as you don't have to move it. As soon as you have to carry it around and pack it to a truck you start noticing how they've saved on the material costs and how flimsy most of the frame structures are.

I worked as a remover for some time and it was quite apparent that ikea tables and cabinets were by far the most likely to suffer damage in the moving process. It's like they designed the stuff in such way that once you've put it together you're not meant to move it ever again..
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    This may be getting a bit off topic, but like I said in my setup post I'm tired of my glass desk. It's 56' wide, 28' deep and 29' tall, and it gives plenty of room which I like, but the fact that it's glass is a big drawback for me. Fingerprints! Dust magnet! I've found 2 desks that fit my price range and appear to be decent from Ikea. The Galant is a lot bigger than the Fredrik, but I think the Fredrik looks better. What do you guys think about these two?

Galant:

Fredrik:

I feel that both would be an improvement.
    I have a smaller version of the Galant myself, it is really sturdy and you get to chose colors on it. I really like that the legs are adjustable.
    Haven't seen the Fredrik model before so I can't say much except that it looks like they use the same type of table top, one negative thing about it is that the keyboard can glide around a bit if you don't have good rubber feet on it.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-01-23 at 12:21 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I personnaly love having a big desk, so I can put my keyboard very far of me, and I usually keep it very clean. Also usefull for doing homeworks in front of the computer
    I currently have only one screen, but a bigger desk = more place to have more screen.

I'll post a picture of my workspace tomorrow
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

I have the black glass Galant, the best desk I ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    I have the black glass Galant, the best desk I ever owned.
    Is the glass cold?

10+ Year Old Account
    Stuff from Ikea is nice for smaller spaces It's a little cheaply made but the have Swedish Meatballs, so it's all fine. I for one like my larger desk so I can paint my 40K stuff.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Is the glass cold?
    I have a glass desk as well and no it never gets cold unless the room is cold too. Plus if you have a mousepad your arm/hand never really touches it.

Deleted

This my desk, had to use 40" TV until monitor arrived =)
    Could not go to a small desk which is made from cheap wood, This is as solid as they come.
    Last edited by mmocd8f86ed6f0; 2013-01-22 at 10:52 PM.

I'm not personally very choosy about the size of my desk, but I've got some fairly basic requirements after going through a couple over the years... Firstly, I like leg space. Huge legspace. That's made me very comfortable when sitting at the desk I have now, a Fresno. Got the PC left of the desk, so not even that's going underneath here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    This my desk, had to use 40" TV until monitor arrived =)
    Could not go to a small desk which is made from cheap wood, This is as solid as they come.
    I had that exact same desk when I was a kid 20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    For a while I used a $15 collapsible plastic work table as my desk, but once I moved into the new place, I got a used executive desk. This was my setup shortly after. Since then, I've upgraded my system, as well as refinished the entire desk. Now it has room for my art projects, keyboard, mouse, and my cat

Deleted
    Try to keep the pictures below 800 pixels in width. You can always link to the full-size version. Thanks!

OT: I want this. I will most likely end up building/making my own desk the next time I move.

10+ Year Old Account
    That *does* look nice Marest... I suppose if I could get the money for a file cabinet that'd work...
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    i few things that i take into consideration when looking at a desk:

1. it should be large enough for your setup, but too large that it becomes the focal point, your computer should be the focal point

2. a proper computer desk does not use or have a slide out keyboard tray, these hearken back to sexism from the 70s, but today they simply demonstrate that the computer is an option at the desk, but not the purpose of the desk itself

3. a monitor stand should be at the center of the desk, not to the side

4. a desk should be open to any configuration of accessories, ie, flightsticks, wheels, speakers etc

5. it should be sturdy enough to handle nearly anything

personal things i consider, but not everyone may agree with:

it should look as modern and advanced as your computer, so i generally prefer glass, if it is made out of wood, it should be either a light wood, or near ebony black

no overhead shelves and no CD storage (this isn't the 90s)

mid colored woods and executive desks are great, but they look like something my grandfather would use to write a book, not something you want for a modern computer, and that plastic veneered particleboard sticks out like a sore thumb

glass looks great, but also shows dust and fingerprints, as well as all your wiring, and mousepads don't stay put
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-01-23 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    Is the glass cold?
    Not particularly, but of course colder than wood.

10+ Year Old Account
    My desk setup.

Sorry for the mess, was building a computer and sorting out my Magic: The Gathering decks when a friend suddenly came over.

Homemade table, it can't handle very much since it's only like 3 "handles" that are holding it up, and I hear more and more squeaking everyday.

I was going to replace it with something with a lower height/able to handle more pressure and have room for monitors going back further. Sadly all we have in Greenland is Jysk, and I've owned 2 of their chairs and they were all godawful and had a fault within a month, sad to say I raged one of the days with an annoying co-worker, back pains and everything just fell down that day. Hence why I put a blanket over the chair, it's basically held with tape.

I'm going to the reuseable furniture shop tomorrow, see if there's a desk worth picking up. Also going to remove every cable and computer to hang up my new monitor arms due to the lack of space. (And tidy up the cables, replace the old Apple router that keeps dropping connections)
    Last edited by inux94; 2013-01-23 at 02:21 AM.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    For reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    You'd love my desk
    http://imgur.com/a/9WAPN#1
    But sadly my chair is so bad I didn't even include it in the photo. Looking for a chair that can recline at least 135 degrees (the ideal sitting position), the backrest should basically be made with reclining in mind. I'm one of those who sits with the edge of the desk pressed right up against my stomach while reclining and arms stretched out to keyboard/mouse.

IMO edit this thread to include basically all computer-related furniture, just tables aren't enough :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-01-23 at 02:25 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to have one of those desks that hangs on the wall... I was always driven nuts by how you put any weight down with your arms and it felt like the whole thing would come crashing down from the wall, bloody annoying.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Deltrus for compiling our posts into a thread! I also agree with Xuvial, the topic of chairs and other furniture is bound to come up at some point. Going to browse for some more furniture.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

as a furniture maker you guys' tastes in desks make me want to cry (i make period furniture, solid hardwood)
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    as a furniture maker you guys' tastes in desks make me want to cry (i make period furniture, solid hardwood)
    What do you imagine to be the best of the best desk?

We're basement nerds, we want lots of room and solid construction to last out for years.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory