10+ Year Old Account

What Start menu prog to get for W8?

Well i bought W8 update and i also gona add the start menu back at once, but i have seen that several choices is aviable out there.

What to pick?

Classic Shell
    Pokki
    RetroUI
    Stardock Start8
    Start is back

I am leaning towards Stardock Start 8...
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Deleted
    any particular reason for using windows 8 over windows 7 ?
    when I tried windows 8 I was less than impressed with it. I used classic shell and found it to be the best of the bunch.
    Stardock Start8 is "free" until your demo runs out then you need to pay $5 for it. I don't see why I should pay for something that should have been available as default, and can be gotten from other programs that are freeware.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Win8 = $15-$40
    Win7 = $80-$100

I literally just installed Win8 Enterprise Eval on a laptop I got, and I tried out Classic Shell. It pretty much does what it says. Looks like Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    when I tried windows 8 I was less than impressed with it. I used classic shell and found it to be the best of the bunch.
    Stardock Start8 is "free" until your demo runs out then you need to pay $5 for it. I don't see why I should pay for something that should have been available as default, and can be gotten from other programs that are freeware.
    Under the hood Windows 8 walks all over 7. It's a much, much more optimized OS (especially on SSDs). My system is booted to my desktop before my monitor even fully turns on. It also has tons of multitasking enhancements, as well as some gains in current games.

Start8 vs the others is mainly just preference. I bought it since it integrates better with the overall theme of Win8 and has a near identical feature set as the original start menu. It also has support behind it with guaranteed compatibility (while other replacements have broken upon updates, Start8 usually has a fix within a day).
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Under the hood Windows 8 walks all over 7. It's a much, much more optimized OS (especially on SSDs). My system is booted to my desktop before my monitor even fully turns on. It also has tons of multitasking enhancements, as well as some gains in current games.

Start8 vs the others is mainly just preference. I bought it since it integrates better with the overall theme of Win8 and has a near identical feature set as the original start menu. It also has support behind it with guaranteed compatibility (while other replacements have broken upon updates, Start8 usually has a fix within a day).
    Bought Start 8, seems like a nice looking and clean start menu, suprised me that with the 8 update my system was the same as i left it only new. tought i would have to spend like 2 - 3 days on and of to get it like i prefer as usual.

Update and download was done in like 1 hour or so.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4