Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD to release "Sea Islands" during the first half of 2013.

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/164...-halvaret-2013

So with the recent bad news of AMD making a huge loss in Q4 2012 they now also announced that the proper Radeon HD 8000 series will be released the first half of this year.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I think I am getting quite good at reading Swedish thanks to you guys

10+ Year Old Account
    The real question is, which comes first, Radeon HD 8000, or Catalyst 13.2.

Sadly, AMD has put themselves in a poor position as far as CPUs go. Being the 'budget guy' isn't a great place to be in a slowly improving economy, and even those budget options aren't holding up very well against Intel's budget. I see more people getting Intel over AMD on this forum, anyway. Meanwhile, the Radeon's have been getting bad press. The only thing that's really keeping AMD alive is their relative performance for price. Of course, that all goes to the wind when nVidia's 7xx cards come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I think I am getting quite good at reading Swedish thanks to you guys
    Well from what I've heard there is some resemblance to German, also there is always the option to use any translation service :P
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Of course, that all goes to the wind when nVidia's 7xx cards come out.
    That's what was said about the 6xx release. Turned out 7xxx was superior in nearly every category. I'd wait until both are released to make such grand assumptions.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    That's what was said about the 6xx release. Turned out 7xxx was superior in nearly every category. I'd wait until both are released to make such grand assumptions.
    All numbers bigger, frame latency too :P
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant more along the lines of; whoever comes out on top is up for grabs, depending on who's first/last to release hardware. I really have no idea what the Radeon 8xxx and Geforce 7xx lines will end up looking like. IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.

...Personally, I'd like to see some more Geforces on the "Best performance for your money" lists.

The Radeon HD 7000 series only got better a few months ago with the 12.11 drivers, before that Nvidia was superior but had bad pricing.

Deleted
    Sadly, AMD has put themselves in a poor position as far as CPUs go. Being the 'budget guy' isn't a great place to be in a slowly improving economy, and even those budget options aren't holding up very well against Intel's budget. I see more people getting Intel over AMD on this forum, anyway. Meanwhile, the Radeon's have been getting bad press. The only thing that's really keeping AMD alive is their relative performance for price. Of course, that all goes to the wind when nVidia's 7xx cards come out.
    I wouldnt say the x3xx series of CPUs from AMD is all that bad. The thing is just that this is a WoW forum, for more GPU dependable games an AMD cpu is just as good and will be cheaper/overclockable.

And about the stuttering, I personally have no issues with my 7970. So either I have it, but i just dont notice it. Or i really dont have it.
    Someone posted this in another forum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Md1X...ature=youtu.be

I did get the GPUs right :P But im not noticing anything, except in the beginning where he is turning a bit. So maybe it is there, and in some scenarios you will notice it. But I think people are reading way to much in it.

And nvidia will probably ask a premium for their new 7xx series

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    And about the stuttering, I personally have no issues with my 7970. So either I have it, but i just dont notice it. Or i really dont have it.
    I think part of that issue is... Every time someone gets a video card, they're upgrading. So even with microstutter (is that different from frame latency?), they're still upgrading and probably can't see the difference between that, and their old card simply being worse. It's kinda like going from a 3.0ghz cpu to a 3.6ghz cpu with a miniscule lag. You probably won't notice because the increase in performance outweighs that lag.

But if you pair two cards together, side by side, you might see it. It's still an issue, regardless.

I wouldnt say the x3xx series of CPUs from AMD is all that bad. The thing is just that this is a WoW forum, for more GPU dependable games an AMD cpu is just as good and will be cheaper/overclockable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Md1X...ature=youtu.be

I did get the GPUs right :P But im not noticing anything, except in the beginning where he is turning a bit. So maybe it is there, and in some scenarios you will notice it. But I think people are reading way to much in it.

And nvidia will probably ask a premium for their new 7xx series
    Microstuttering is really hard to notice in 30FPS videos, you need to play the game yourself and preferably at 60FPS or higher to really get a feel for it.

I hope AMD rids themselves of that horrible latency and microstuttering issues as of late. No doubt their cards are awesome, but those things can get annoying when you notice them. Nvidia always asks a premium so everyone is used to that. I don't mind paying though, I would pay the same for an AMD card had they not been troubled with said latency.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    The Radeon HD 7000 series only got better a few months ago with the 12.11 drivers, before that Nvidia was superior but had bad pricing.
    In what way were they superior? They performed worse on multi-monitor setups due to gimpy memory bandwidth, had lower VRAM (another poor effect on high res or multi-monitor setups), were more expensive and had no where remotely close to the same overclocking headroom.

Dollar for dollar the -ONLY- card Nvidia has over AMD this generation is the regular (non ti) 660. Every other price point has been had by AMD.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    But if you pair two cards together, side by side, you might see it. It's still an issue, regardless.
    Im not saying it isnt an issue. But I do think people should not be discouraged getting an AMD card because of this, as it is barely noticable (for me anyway). That is the point im trying to make. To me, this whole stuttering sounds a bit over exaggerated.

In what way were they superior? They performed worse on multi-monitor setups due to gimpy memory bandwidth, had lower VRAM (another poor effect on high res or multi-monitor setups), were more expensive and had no where remotely close to the same overclocking headroom.

Dollar for dollar the -ONLY- card Nvidia has over AMD this generation is the regular (non ti) 660. Every other price point has been had by AMD.
    Before AMD released the GHz edition of 7970 even the GTX 670 performed better in resolution up to 1920x1200. Before GHz editions and Boost AMD cards just didn't perform as well and even after they still got wrecked in some games until the 12.11 driver. Lower amount of vRAM and worse performance in 3 monitor setups hardly means anything when the majority of people still play games at 1920x1080.

Performance wise the Nvidia cards was a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    To me, this whole stuttering sounds a bit over exaggerated.
    It might be exagerrated, but it's still a problem that people can see, that can be fixed, that AMD/ATI literally shoved their heads in the sand for a -year- and just said Nope.avi

Before AMD released the GHz edition of 7970 even the GTX 670 performed better in resolution up to 1920x1200. Before GHz editions and Boost AMD cards just didn't perform as well and even after they still got wrecked in some games until the 12.11 driver. Lower amount of vRAM and worse performance in 3 monitor setups hardly means anything when the majority of people still play games at 1920x1080.

Performance wise the Nvidia cards was a lot better.
    But we're not living half a year ago anymore, so it's hardly relevant. Not to mention the time period you're suggesting only lasted 1-1.5 months. Further, saying they were better means little when "better" came with a much more bloated price tag. You have to look price to performance ratios.

build pics

But we're not living half a year ago anymore, so it's hardly relevant. Not to mention the time period you're suggesting only lasted 1-1.5 months. Further, saying they were better means little when "better" came with a much more bloated price tag. You have to look price to performance ratios.
    Well the original statement was about when 600 series was relased?
    And 12.11 driver was only released a few months ago, up until then 600 cards was still vastly superior in Blizzard games and BF3. That lasted several months.

Well the original statement was about when 600 series was relased?
    I'll give you the 680. <.<

7970 vs 670, eh. They were extremely close, and the 7970 still had the advantage of being clocked into the skies and higher memory bandwidth.

build pics

Deleted
    It might be exagerrated, but it's still a problem that people can see, that can be fixed,
    I would like to know from people who also own a 7xxx series card if they experience this. I mean, i dont see it. Could be more people dont see it aswell, and of course you will have people who can see it.