Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well it depends on when you played really. Prior to CU there wasn't any levels to level so it was more about just getting XP however you wanted. It was originally designed to mimic an actual profession, the idea being that the more you do something the better you get at it. Even as unbalanced as it could be, its still probably my favorite talent/skill system.

" leveling" in SWG only became content due to all of us trying to unlock jedi.
    2000-3000 buffs were available on Gorath around autumn by some doctors (game was released in the summer the same year)... which was still prior to the big wave of "want to become Jedi" player.

Also the leveling a jedi was only really "content" when you actually could lose levels/ permadeath. As soon as they took that away it was more of a grind until max lvl thing.

Knowing the old skill system... first time I logged into NGE I was completely stunned that we had a fixed leveling/ skill path from 1-90. Probably most dissapointing moment in my MMO career.

10+ Year Old Account

Miscommunication

Quote Originally Posted by zentost View Post
    i heard that since players play through content so fast in swtor, the devs are making it so that it will take the average player about a month to get the 5 levels from 50-55!! i loved this game when it came out but they just keep making it harder and harder! i can never get HK - and now i'll never have a 55 char!
    It will take the average player a month to go from level 1 to level 55. It's only supposed to take the average player 8-9 hours to go from level 50-55.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBolt View Post
    It will take the average player a month to go from level 1 to level 55. It's only supposed to take the average player 8-9 hours to go from level 50-55.
    Source? B/c that's still way too slow. Unless they plan on restricting the XP even more.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    wow they changing it that much? when i first leveled it didnt even take that long to get max level..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBolt View Post
    That makes much more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Source? B/c that's still way too slow. Unless they plan on restricting the XP even more.
    I wouldn't say that's way too slow for the "average player". Especially if the information says that the "average player" only spends a couple hours a day playing the game. If that's the case, I would say it's a reasonable ballpark figure.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    I wouldn't say that's way too slow for the "average player". Especially if the information says that the "average player" only spends a couple hours a day playing the game. If that's the case, I would say it's a reasonable ballpark figure.
    When I read 'it takes a month to level', that means to me that it will take 720 Hours Played (30 days). I don't see that ever happening. If they mean, a month of real days with far less hours played, ok.

We shouldn't even be talking about this since there wasn't a source linked. It's just conjecture.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    When I read 'it takes a month to level', that means to me that it will take 720 Hours Played (30 days). I don't see that ever happening. If they mean, a month of real days with far less hours played, ok.

We shouldn't even be talking about this since there wasn't a source linked. It's just conjecture.
    Yes, but the OP said it's allegedly supposed to take the "average player" a month to get from 50 to 55. The title of the thread is a little misleading based on that.

I skimmed the thread and could have missed it but did we ever get any kind of actual source where this rumor is coming from? A month to level from 50-55?

Deleted
    i heard that since players play through content so fast in swtor, the devs are making it so that it will take the average player about a month to get the 5 levels from 50-55!! i loved this game when it came out but they just keep making it harder and harder! i can never get HK - and now i'll never have a 55 char!
    Why can't you ever get an HK unit? I just got back into the game and it took me about six hours from that I started his quest on my old Powertech, which I haven't touched in a whole year, until I had it on my level 20 Juggernaught alt. Was incredibly easy to go through all the steps required.

I'm also unsure of what the average player is, but several people I've met and added to my friends list are rarely if ever online and level like 2-3 levels a week at 15-20 level. If that's an average player then it wouldn't be strange at all for it to take a whole month for them to level from 50-55.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    That would mean the expansion is twice the size of a normal wow expansion... i somehow doubt that. Especially since EA sells it for 10 bucks.
    Price means nothing, every expansion of WoW ( for China ) is free, does that mean there is no content?

Deleted
    Taking a month for 5 levels? Bullshit. That would be 3-4 expansions worth of leveling content (if not more) unless they do a daily XP cap which will just suck balls and kill the game (bit late for that but still...)

i heard they do - wow is freaking tough as hell...i hear it takes like 3 bill xp to get to lvl 84-85.....

i never got past 20 because it takes so long and the quests are hard as hell, in swtor stuffs more linear and enjoyable....and u can glean through mobs faster....
    I just finished the level 84-85 portion in half a day. Honestly, even when Cata was considered "new" content, it never took more than a week to do 80-85. Hell, MoP IS new content and it takes about a week of casual play to get 85-90.

I'm going to agree that Blizzard should take notes. As it stands they've said they want to make the game, and end-content, even easier for the REALLY casual players. (I guess committing yourself to three hours a week of raiding while having a basic understanding of your class is still too hard for some people.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I'm going to agree that Blizzard should take notes. As it stands they've said they want to make the game, and end-content, even easier for the REALLY casual players. (I guess committing yourself to three hours a week of raiding while having a basic understanding of your class is still too hard for some people.)
    Not strange considering casuals are the huge majority in most games, more people = greater chance they will spend money on the cartel market. More people = greater chance they will bring friends to the game = more potential people to spend money on the cartel market.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing though, something I really miss in the game are mini-games such as that racing game you could run in KOTOR, think it was called swoop racing, and also that card game pazaak. I have currently no interest in any raiding content since I get my fill of that in WoW, and would like more reasons to revisit old planets.

Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    Price means nothing, every expansion of WoW ( for China ) is free, does that mean there is no content?
    Apples and oranges. Blizzard counts those China accounts as subs as well despite the fact that they pay per hour and not for a full month. Also, TOR isn't in China which means you have to compare the regions they have in common. That would be Australia, Europe, and North America. They all pay for expansions.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 02:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    Why can't you ever get an HK unit? I just got back into the game and it took me about six hours from that I started his quest on my old Powertech, which I haven't touched in a whole year, until I had it on my level 20 Juggernaught alt. Was incredibly easy to go through all the steps required.

I'm also unsure of what the average player is, but several people I've met and added to my friends list are rarely if ever online and level like 2-3 levels a week at 15-20 level. If that's an average player then it wouldn't be strange at all for it to take a whole month for them to level from 50-55.
    First, OP can't possibly be for real. Second, there's no actual source for his "information". Third, the idea of the "average" player would have to come from the average number of hours put in by all players, I would assume. I would say it's probably no more than a couple hours a night, if not a less.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    The dev's from blizzard should get a tutoring session from the guys at tor with this move, still amazed they can't understand, that easier content / more nerfs = consumed fast = bored players or more frequent patches.
    I really fail to see how forcing people to spend a month on leveling instead of providing quality endgame is a good thing.

The Blizzard developers managed to deliver and enjoyable and fairly fast leveling experience while focusing on endgame. That is the way wow has been since TBC and it is in my opinion the right way to do it.

Nobody is forcing you to level by rushing and you have a lot of leveling zones from 1 to 90, a lot of zones and a lot of options, but at the same time you are not forced to spend time on doing quests if you don't want to.

I really believe that the decision made by the TOR developers is a bad one and it will have a negative impact on its already diminishing playerbase. They should have spent their resources on developing quality endgame content, not pretty quests.
    Last edited by mmoc60223aaf3d; 2013-02-04 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    I really fail to see how forcing people to spend a month on leveling instead of providing quality endgame is a good thing.

The Blizzard developers managed to deliver and enjoyable and fairly fast leveling experience while focusing on endgame. That is the way wow has been since TBC and it is in my opinion the right way to do it.

Nobody is forcing you to level by rushing and you have a lot of leveling zones from 1 to 90, a lot of zones and a lot of options, but at the same time you are not forced to spend time on doing quests if you don't want to.

I really believe that the decision made by the TOR developers is a bad one and it will have a negative impact on its already diminishing playerbase. They should have spent their resources on developing quality endgame content, not pretty quests.
    I can't believe you're bashing them for doing something that they haven't even said they're doing. In fact, there is no evidence anywhere that supports OP's claims. Maybe it's time to shut this thread down. Possibly even remove it altogether. It's doing nothing but creating an argument over hypotheticals that are being presented as fact.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    What decision is that?
    Is the player base still diminishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    What decision is that?
    Is the player base still diminishing?
    Yes it is but at a much slower pace than before. Just look at the servers now as to when they first did the F2P. They mostly full and slowly they decreased. Now about 2-3 months later you can see it by that a few servers might hit full a few times a week and then some will hit very heavy but most stay at just heavy when before they were full.

The game is still losing players even after F2P, even though its much slow they are.

Would also like to know where the 400,000+/- players are that didnt play the game because it had a sub (according to Bioware)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by katta View Post
    Yes it is but at a much slower pace than before. Just look at the servers now as to when they first did the F2P. They mostly full and slowly they decreased. Now about 2-3 months later you can see it by that a few servers might hit full a few times a week and then some will hit very heavy but most stay at just heavy when before they were full.

The game is still losing players even after F2P, even though its much slow they are.

Would also like to know where the 400,000+/- players are that didnt play the game because it had a sub (according to Bioware)
    But 2-3 months after original launch the servers weren't FULL constantly either anymore. And 2-3 months after original launch was when the game still didn't really lose any significant number of players. It's rather obvious that the first week of original launch and first week of F2P would be the most crowded.

Is COD "failing" because not as many people play in 2nd month as in 1st week? No, just not everybody rushes to do so as much and early as possible.

It is of course still absolutely possible F2P will do nothing long-term and that eventually the game will continue to decline, but at the moment it's still in "re-launch" (thanks to F2P) period IMO. Tons of new F2P still join and at the moment, I would predict the population stopped decreasing for now. We'll see what's gonna happen in another 2-3 months, same time it took for mass exodus of original playerbase after the "first" launch.