Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Really need some help, friend suicidal

My former guild master, now good friend, just got broken up with by his gf. He literally had everything invested into the relationship, and she just up and left after 6.5 years. He is now really depressed and talking about suicide. I've been trying to be as supportive as I possibly can be, but my abilities are limited by the fact that I am in Mass and he is in Colorado. We talk through things on the phone and text, but he seems to be getting worse because he has no one and is generally left by himself with his thoughts. I don't know what to do. This is the first time I've been legitimately afraid that a friend of mine will commit suicide.

Isn't there a suicide hotline he can call to talk to a qualified psychologist in confidence?

Deleted
    http://www.reddit.com/r/suicidewatch

Ask around there. They've all dealt with this kind of stuff before and will be able to give you decent suggestions.

I've suggested it to him but he says he doesn't care.

I can't really say what you SHOULD do, but if I were in your place I'd probably try to see if I could find the number for the police in his area, especially if it really seems like he might go through with it. Granted, he may end up getting mad at you, but I'd rather have a friend mad at me and alive because of the intervention. Odds are when he was in a better mental state he'd thank you for it.

There's also always going down there yourself, but that's certainly not an easy option and not for the faint of heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/suicidewatch

Ask around there. They've all dealt with this kind of stuff before and will be able to give you decent suggestions.
    Well... that forum depressed me... so I'm going to play WoW or watch youtube videos to cheer up...

O.T: I'm not pretty sure if you can do these but IMO you should try going to him, i know is a long way, but if you're old enough, try going to Colorado, I don't know how much time you will have to spent to get there (1 - 2 days?), that will help him a lot, cause he will feel that he have someone that care for him, even more because you toke the time and effort to get there.

I heard one time that this girl talked about suicide in Trade Chat, someone reported it, and Blizzard contacted the police (since they have the girl's address) and they went to her house to make sure she didn't.

You ---could--- always log a ticket and ask Blizzard to prevent something if it gets THAT bad//

You could always phone the suicide hotline yourself and ask them for advice.

Suicidal people don't talk about it, they do it.

I had a very close friend/mentor just blow his brains out one day. No one saw it coming...

10+ Year Old Account
    Koraak... are you a guy or a girl friend?

If a girl-friend, be careful - the guy's motives may not be genuine.
    If a guy-friend, well... also follow this advice:

Let professionals deal with this or try get some info on his family and tell a family member about your concerns.
    If a guy refuses help, there is nothing you can do about it. Don't set yourself up for a guilt trip. His life is not your responsibility. I know it's harsh, but pampering someone's self-pity is never a good thing to do. Professionals are better trained to deal with people suffering from genuine emotional trauma.

And, no - going to him is not a good idea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I heard one time that this girl talked about suicide in Trade Chat, someone reported it, and Blizzard contacted the police (since they have the girl's address) and they went to her house to make sure she didn't.

You ---could--- always log a ticket and ask Blizzard to prevent something if it gets THAT bad//
    Thats pretty cool that Blizzard bothered to do something. I think this is a good tip for the OP. Worth trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttfear View Post
    Suicidal people don't talk about it, they do it.
    I sort of agree with this guy. I didn't want to say it and be mean but it's more than likely that your friend is just talk and won't do it, and that you shouldn't get so worried.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    If a girl-friend, be careful - the guy's motives may not be genuine.
    Please elaborate.

---------- Post added 2013-01-23 at 08:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Thats pretty cool that Blizzard bothered to do something. I think this is a good tip for the OP. Worth trying!
    Ya Blizzard is nice. That girl (the one who talked in Trade chat) also said that Blizzard mailed her some self help books, so Blizzard is super helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Koraak View Post
    My former guild master, now good friend, just got broken up with by his gf. He literally had everything invested into the relationship, and she just up and left after 6.5 years. He is now really depressed and talking about suicide. I've been trying to be as supportive as I possibly can be, but my abilities are limited by the fact that I am in Mass and he is in Colorado. We talk through things on the phone and text, but he seems to be getting worse because he has no one and is generally left by himself with his thoughts. I don't know what to do. This is the first time I've been legitimately afraid that a friend of mine will commit suicide.
    if you're serious, seek professional help. there are any number of suicide prevention services, and they are not just for those thinking about suicide, but also those trying to prevent another's suicide
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    If Blizzard didn't call the police, they could have been on the hook for negligence. However, if the chat is outside of WoW, Blizzard can't do much.

Try to find the person's family or personal friends. Tell them what you know. Let them handle it. Let them contact professional help. I don't want to sound condescending, but you don't have the training or expertise in this area to do more than you are right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Please elaborate.
    Well... if the OP is a girl, he may be trying to get more out of her than emotional support.

>sigh< Do I have to spell it out for you? Ok, then - He may be looking for a "pity shag".

Either way - let a professional deal with it.

Deleted
    Tell him to get professional help. He should see a therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist ASAP. If he already has one, he must contact them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Well... if the OP is a girl, he may be trying to get more out of her than emotional support.

>sigh< Do I have to spell it out for you? Ok, then - He may be looking for a "pity shag".

Either way - let a professional deal with it.
    Lol sorry I knew what you meant but it's just weird since the OP is in Massachussetts and the friend is in Colorado or whatever. Seems like a really scrumbag thing to do if your implication was correct though.

<-- male

I got some correspondence this morning but not much, basically i asked how he was doing, he said "not dead" and that was it. I'm going to go call the hotline now.

If you know their full address and/or phone number pass that on to the authorities. I also like the idea of contacting Blizzard. Good luck.

I just finished up with the hotline, gave them his name and number.

As a side note, the hotline operator sounded more depressed than my friend did when I talked to him on the phone.