Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    ive never seen blind fanboyism either quite like it. the reason why LA is in overflow is because thats where everyone IS. the world is dead unless your in that city trying to get ascended fractal runs.

oh, and to the OP, if anyone posts an image showing the servers being high and full, just so you know, two official devs on the arenanet forums confirmed that its not showcasing the players logged in, but the accounts bound to that server.

so a server say having 1000 accounts bound to it would still read full if no one was logged in.

gotta love deception.

no its not worth it, with The Elder Scrolls Online coming as well as other games on the market that do pve/pvp better, save your cash. you'll get bored in 2 weeks.
    100% agree with the above. Two weeks is all it took for boredom to set in. Don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    100% agree with the above. Two weeks is all it took for boredom to set in. Don't bother.
    GW2 is a roaming MMO ... you either like it or not. Some ppl do like it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Asking a question like this on another game's fan site is a bad idea. This sub-section has a lot of anti-GW2 posters who have never played the game or haven't played it in months. You would find better answers on a GW2 based site, since people who would reply will have a better understanding of the state the game is currently in.

And to answer your question, yes - the game is worth it. Never played a more active MMO than this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgRQ View Post
    Bah you'll get bored when you hit max lvl...and The Elder of Scrolls online will be released in 2013 and it'll be one thousand times better than gw2!
    How can you be so sure about that? Also why does it even matter, Guild Wars 2 is a one time purchase just like how one buys many different single player games made by different developers so I don't see much in the way of competition with ESO there, it's not like two sub based MMOs going against each other. GW2 could make an excellent purchase now for the midterm waiting for a game such ESO to come out, and can easily always be picked back up at a later date if one is inclined to do so. So really the risk factor of picking up GW2 is quite low, you just spend the initial price of the box and that's it. It's not like buying the box of a sub based MMO, then playing and paying for several months only to have the game crash hard in subscriber numbers causing the game to go free to play like certain other MMOs have done recently.

-snip-
    but because gw2 is persistant it falls into the other mmo traps. something i'll give blizzard to for trying to fix this issue with crz (cry all you want im glad i see more people around)
    Out of your post I will say this. Crz is cool. I'm leveling a warlock right now and for the first time in years I finally meet an Ally where I can just battle with while im Leveling. That said Ive never met more than maybe 1 person per zone. Friend or enemy. So really..right..

EDIT: One really bad thing about CRZ is that people are so afraid to play the game that they always bring a lvl 90 to the table as well, be it dual logging or guildie, or friend or whatever. I didn't feel that untill lvl 60, omg that awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Tera went to unlimited trial recently and going full F2P in less then a month. If you're into this because it's an action MMO, Tera does that much better.

If you want a great story, SWTOR is also F2P. It does that much better.

About the only reasons to grab GW2 is either because you liked WvW zerg gameplay, or you love the aesthetics that arenanet has in its games. Pretty much everything else is done better by someone else and is free as in beer, rather then pay full price for the box that is GW2.
    While I agree Swtor does have a good story and Tera a good combat I disagree with what you said. Primarily because playing Swtor or TERA with restrictions suck (My point of view but I honestly believe it, even more because I pre-purchased the game and now..we have this..). Gw2 is still the same price for all content and future patches...while you can't say that for the other 2. So no, your logic, for me, is too far-fetched.

And the WvW zerg gameplay is false and you should know it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    In main cities are daily quests, class and profession trainers, auction house, some have dungeons, some have minor acheivements (fishing ones for example), some have interesting quests and rewards (sw balloon for example) not to mention trade chat which doubles as a lfg chat for world and pvp events (although more often spam chat) and most are hubs for the holiday events. It has multiple functions beside sitting and waiting so I agree with most of your post, but not this, and you used the word fact for something that isnt factual naughty zilong :P
    Anyway my main point I really wanted answered was how is the random LFG element associated with GW2LFG seen as positive when the main reason bought up for the destruction of the wow 'community' is the LFG and the random elements associated with that.
    Erm, yeah because the daily quest you want to do is in Org really. And buying vanishing powder really makes class/prof trainers important. Cause everyone does the level 15 dungeons at 90. And you do the achieves everyday of your life, and that trade chat "Anal [Rip]" stuff is awesome while you wait for that lfr/lfd/bg/arena queues. So yeah I still agree with pretty much of my post too XD, I do acknowledge tho few achieves/AH of course, as for holidays well..Okay, except for the Dungeons queues we get at summer/halloween etc.

I see your point but I still feel like it's different really. We will see in the upcoming patches maybe...

------

Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post
    Asking a question like this on another game's fan site is a bad idea. This sub-section has a lot of anti-GW2 posters who have never played the game or haven't played it in months. You would find better answers on a GW2 based site, since people who would reply will have a better understanding of the state the game is currently in.

And to answer your question, yes - the game is worth it. Never played a more active MMO than this one.
    This is ultimately what I was saying and 100% agree. Many of the "anti-gw2" here usually complain about stuff without really playing the game at all lol. It's actually funny. Gw2 is far from perfect, need alot of tweaks, but its def worth the money you pay for. Many comparisons here are just worthless, since many of them contain useless info regarding the actual problems, info where it's acknowledge by the company as "work in progress", and info that unless you can go to the future and tell me how awesome a game will be it's also shitty. Note that the people who bring these (for good or bad) are usually the ones who in the new release will do the same as they act right now. Why bother really?

Quote Originally Posted by gainesvilleg View Post
    So, you didn't like the game. Who asked to hear that?

The original poster wanted to know whether the game still has an active population and the answer is yes it does, you will not have any problems finding people to play with in WvWvW or PvE (apart from the nuisance of not having any good LFG tool). The competitive PvP has crashed hard, though.

Whether or not someone will like the game is something no one can answer for them and anyone posting useless one-liners about how much they love or hate it is just being a thread derailing dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    So, you didn't like the game. Who asked to hear that?

The original poster wanted to know whether the game still has an active population and the answer is yes it does, you will not have any problems finding people to play with in WvWvW or PvE (apart from the nuisance of not having any good LFG tool). The competitive PvP has crashed hard, though.

Whether or not someone will like the game is something no one can answer for them and anyone posting useless one-liners about how much they love or hate it is just being a thread derailing dick.
    The original poster just used active population as an example and then said and so on
    Is Guild Wars 2 still worth getting (i.e are player numbers still good and so on?
    Boredom is as much a problem for mmo's as active population, he maybe could have gone in to more depth as to what was boring however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Many comparisons here are just worthless, since many of them contain useless info regarding the actual problems, info where it's acknowledge by the company as "work in progress", and info that unless you can go to the future and tell me how awesome a game will be it's also shitty. Note that the people who bring these (for good or bad) are usually the ones who in the new release will do the same as they act right now. Why bother really?
    Is that really any different from the majority of posts on the wow section, or SWtor section? All of them are filled with exactly the same comparisons and useless information, I dont think there is any need for the GW2 sub forum to feel its in a special place in this instance :P
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-01-25 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    WoW IS the MMORPG genre at the moment.

GW2 is about as far as it can be from that point. When I played GW2, I played it to max level only once, which was maybe 100 hours or so played time. Leveling was fun every step of the way, and I don't regret the purchase despite the fact that I haven't touched it in months.

This may not make sense to you, but you do not actually have to devote a lifetime to each video game you play.
    oh i dont disagree. i can play a few mmos but only one i'll really devote that big chunk of time to. that and my ps3 has a load of games that im still mid play or need to fire up (far cry 3, yep im late to that party).

Well it's up to you to decide but you should consider a few things:
    1.It's B2P
    2.You can return to it when ever you want.
    3.You can play more than 1 game
    4.It's different in some aspects from the other MMOs.More specifically the PvP(no gear grind)
    5.World PvP is replaced with WvWvW
    6.Down and Up level scaling.
    7.Overflow system which removes waiting queue times.

oh, and to the OP, if anyone posts an image showing the servers being high and full, just so you know, two official devs on the arenanet forums confirmed that its not showcasing the players logged in, but the accounts bound to that server.

so a server say having 1000 accounts bound to it would still read full if no one was logged in.

gotta love deception.
    I'm not sure how true this is, regardless of the forum post. We just moved a guild of about 50 people to Tarnished Coast, a server that reads full for most of the day. At 4am, the server staged what they call a server "blackout", and had many volunteers logout. Within thirty minutes, the server dropped to Very High and a lot of our guild transferred over. Before everyone online at the time could transfer, however, the server went back to full. The rest waited until about 6am when the server population dropped to Very High again for several hours.

From what I understand, these server blackouts are very commonly scheduled on the highly populated servers. Even Sea of Sorrows (currently the top rated NA WvW server) is able to accept transfers using blackouts.

I played during first two months after release and I found it frustratingly difficult to find groups for some events. At some point, it became so bad I quit. If something was done to address this, I might come back eventually.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I played during first two months after release and I found it frustratingly difficult to find groups for some events. At some point, it became so bad I quit. If something was done to address this, I might come back eventually.
    Since events scale per person besides group champion mobs (which you don't even have to do and are thin in numbers) I say that's a bit of a personal l2p problem.

Big events people have timed and swarm before it happens (like volcano and swamp).

Really it's not hard to solo champion mobs if you know what you are doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also interested myself. Has there been any news on a trial version of the game as of yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I'm also interested myself. Has there been any news on a trial version of the game as of yet?
    They had a trial weekend for friends of players back in November but that's the only one so far. Haven't heard any news about another trial.
    Valar morghulis

To be honest... For every single thread like this at any given time, Id have to reply: Yes, its worth it.
    There is always something to do, even if you solo play (like me at the moment) and the world still feels so alive! Havent seen any mmo that feels so alive nonstop like GW2 is. Its not the players only (who in some areas are absent) but the NPCs themselves.
    Its not expensive, no sub fee, tons of fun content to do and explore. For some it will get boring after a while, but still worth the purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    As in one of the 3 big envents everyone ever does, smooth...

Haha, this is the one that gets me...."Because it's a big event with a big chest, those people don't count". Yes, there are 3 big dragon events that spawn around every 3 hours, that's ~168 dragon events per week. Hundreds of people show up to these things, even at 3 in the morning.

There are more people attending dragon events on my server in GW2 than there are people raiding on Malganis.

Let's see what we have so far...
    People in dungeons don't count since they are in dungeons
    People at meta events don't count since they are at meta events
    People in WvW don't count since they are in WvW
    People in cities don't count since they are in cities....

Btw, there's more than just these 3 meta events in GW2 ;-)
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Meta_event
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    ever been in queensdale? champion troll and queen wasp are quite popular too.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Since events scale per person besides group champion mobs (which you don't even have to do and are thin in numbers) I say that's a bit of a personal l2p problem.

Big events people have timed and swarm before it happens (like volcano and swamp).

Really it's not hard to solo champion mobs if you know what you are doing.
    It's not the question of "hard" it's a question of "insanely boring". Furthermore, pretty much anything can be handwaved as "personal L2P problem", which isn't conductive to any kind of discussion.

I get it that most people just spam the same three or whatever events, but I don't feel like that's very different from doing Dailies in WoW. And, frankly, if I had a choice between dailies in WoW and dailies in GW2, I'd pick wow simply because of existing relations.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2013-01-25 at 07:15 PM.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    It's not the question of "hard" it's a question of "insanely boring". Furthermore, pretty much anything can be handwaved as "personal L2P problem", which isn't conductive to any kind of discussion.

I get it that most people just spam the same three or whatever events, but I don't feel like that's very different from doing Dailies in WoW. And, frankly, if I had a choice between dailies in WoW and dailies in GW2, I'd pick wow simply because of existing relations.
    Honestly, how you posted really seemed you were having difficulties with the events itself (even when saying you just had a problem finding people to do with). The scaling system isn't that good and for me I actually enjoy events I solo/duo at top 3man it than having the large amount of players with me. Simply because scaling doesn't work well, becomes zergy and since gw2 is a mmo that you play as "you want" much of those people want to play it alone to relax, or already are playing in duo/trios so they are interacting with themselves. Finding an event solo (which honestly I rarely am able to do) excites me because it's given is a little more challenging and when it's too much a duo is perfect. But seriously, I think your "preference" is much more of a social problem you need to fix "yourself", guilds, map chat and irl friends are what make the game fun why not try having some? The down scaling feature is pretty good and it's improving alot, it's not that hard to find people to play with if you try. I bet you did on WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Finding an event solo (which honestly I rarely am able to do) excites me because it's given is a little more challenging and when it's too much a duo is perfect.
    Yeah, there have been a few "group" events I've managed to strategically solo. It's one of the few things where I feel I can test my skills since most veterans are easy and most champions are either too hard or not worth it.