Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    This game will already be as Niche as it gets, they better not ruin the pvp part of it like they did with rift.

  2. #162
    Legendary! Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    There is less "open world pvp" then many of you think, just about as much on the main 2 continents as there is in WoW but for the most part is riddled with safe zones. The difference however comes down to the sea and 3rd continent where there is at least some reward for PvP'ing.
    That's cool, I'm not against PvP per se, I'm just against dickheads ruining my fun purely for their own enjoyment.

    Was I wrong before, or is most of the "Sandbox" type stuff (the crafting, house building, ship building etc) located on the same third island as the PvP openworld free for all?
    Reading A Song of Ice and Fire is like playing with an adorable puppy, then someone comes up out of nowhere, shoots the puppy and punches you in the face.

    Stands in front of 100 enemies with 10% health left "Myeh, I'll save my potions for when I REALLY need them." - every rpg player ever.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Its odd to read that people are so into sandbox games but absolutely hate pvp. Maybe Ive just never heard of or played a true mmo sandbox that was pve only.
    SWG could be played almost exclusively PvE if you chose to do so. It gave you the flexibility to PvP when you felt like it, but also not be bothered when you were out checking harvesters.

    I'll be honest, I can deal with PvP servers, as even sometimes I like to do it. What I can't deal with is the old UO style where people steal your stuff afterwards. There is a reason games got away from the concept, it kills overall sub numbers. You tell a crafter that they may get ganked while checking their harvesters and they won't like it, but they can probably deal with it. You tell one that in the process the guy also steals everything you've been working towards and people get pissed and leave.

    People don't mind losing an hour or two of time because someone decided you needed to die alot. They do mind losing a weeks worth of work because not only did they decide you needed to die, but that you needed to lose your stuff as well.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 06:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    This sums up my feelings pretty much, I love the idea, of crafting, gathering, building stuff, even building huge projects for PvP in big events.

    Having some douchebag destroy my house, or rolling some FOTM gank spec with his huehue friends to farm me for materials I spent time gathering. Nope... not interested. Yeah he will get a slap on the wrist and sent to prison (which is still part of the game so find the easy way to break out or win games and it will end up being trivial I imagine). I have no problem with other people thinking that open world griefing style pvp is a great idea, it just won't be a game a lot of people will want much to do with in my opinion. It's been proven time and again in other games, people drawn to this style of pvp don't want a fair fight or actual pvp... they want set-ups that favour them with little risk 99% of the time, often at the cost of other peoples enjoyment.

    I'll be interested to see how it pans out in the west anyway, and whether or not they make a provision / servers, for non- free-for-all pvp enthusiasts

    Personally I would hope for a server, that way people who want to play the game with "hardcore" pvp don't feel like they have lost out on gameplay.

    My partner however thinks this open FFA pvp sounds promising, as he used to love world pvp in WoW, and pointed out to me it also opens doors to some interesting possibilities, like becoming almost a bounty hunter for people getting griefed, and building up a reputation for being great at pvp, and up for hire, giving an interesting way to make an income without farming etc.
    I doubt they do, mainly because the PvP servers tend not to do as well once you give people a way to play without being screwed with. See the hardcore PvP group that likes the old UO style is fairly small, and if you give people a PvE server to go to, that hardcore server just languishes because of a lack of numbers.

    While I agree with your partner, it could open some interesting doors ( its the great thing about sandbox play), I don't have the time nor the patience anymore to really deal with it. The better option is to just not play, rather than only being able to play when your mercenary for hire is on to escort you around

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Was I wrong before, or is most of the "Sandbox" type stuff (the crafting, house building, ship building etc) located on the same third island as the PvP openworld free for all?
    They are not, however, for many larger items it requires you to build "packs" made from various resources (100 wood 100 iron etc) then take these packs to traders around the world to be turned in for special coins (which are then used to buy said items). These traders usually are in contested areas that require travel , and while carrying a pack you have reduced speed. When you die, you drop your pack which can be picked up by someone else and this is what fuels most of the pvp/pirating.

    When OBT ended there was a ton of camping of the traders, and trade routes as you'd expect. I don't know if they have fixed this but there are ways to get to them following safe zones which don't allow pvp.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    SWG could be played almost exclusively PvE if you chose to do so. It gave you the flexibility to PvP when you felt like it, but also not be bothered when you were out checking harvesters.

    I'll be honest, I can deal with PvP servers, as even sometimes I like to do it. What I can't deal with is the old UO style where people steal your stuff afterwards. There is a reason games got away from the concept, it kills overall sub numbers. You tell a crafter that they may get ganked while checking their harvesters and they won't like it, but they can probably deal with it. You tell one that in the process the guy also steals everything you've been working towards and people get pissed and leave.

    People don't mind losing an hour or two of time because someone decided you needed to die alot. They do mind losing a weeks worth of work because not only did they decide you needed to die, but that you needed to lose your stuff as well.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-27 at 06:50 PM ----------



    I doubt they do, mainly because the PvP servers tend not to do as well once you give people a way to play without being screwed with. See the hardcore PvP group that likes the old UO style is fairly small, and if you give people a PvE server to go to, that hardcore server just languishes because of a lack of numbers.

    While I agree with your partner, it could open some interesting doors ( its the great thing about sandbox play), I don't have the time nor the patience anymore to really deal with it. The better option is to just not play, rather than only being able to play when your mercenary for hire is on to escort you around
    I had to laugh and agree with your point about how putting in a PVE server, would cause the numbers to fall on a FFA PVP server, FFA pvp probably isn't as much "fun" for a certain element of the community when there are less easy kills to go around :P

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    I had to laugh and agree with your point about how putting in a PVE server, would cause the numbers to fall on a FFA PVP server, FFA pvp probably isn't as much "fun" for a certain element of the community when there are less easy kills to go around :P
    not only the numbers to fall, but to remove pvp entirely...imagine 2 gangers hidding and wait one the other to be on disadvantage in order to attack him lol this fight will never end because fair fights are not in existance in ffa pvp games...

    I like archage very much and watching videos about it long time ago when it was on the early stages of develop but probably I doubt I will ever spend time to it since I hate ffa pvp...not because I am not good at pvp..but because I hate unfair battles..and since I never took advantage to attack to anyone in my games, I am not going to be the victim of a group of players who will wait for me to fight 5-1 or someone that will wait me to fight 2-3 mobs and then attack me.

    Hopefully everquest next will be a pve sandbox and elder scrolls could be a perfect pve sandbox if they could just make it skyrim online...
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  7. #167
    Stood in the Fire Loyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    416
    Been watching a stream of someone playing ArcheAge on the KR servers, I wish this game would come out already. I also wish SoE would post SOMETHING about EQN...
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > AA > WoW...
    D3 & PoE:HC > Ongoing
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •