Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roveredo View Post
    What the hells is wrong with the labour legislation (or lack of it) in the US?

This kind of shit is not allowed in my country.
    Well... we started by declaring corporations "people" and then proceded to demonize unions and start passing "right to work" laws. So.... lots of things are wrong I'd say. But at its core there is a vocal minority of people and thus politicians that think the working poor are leeches on society and that the "job creators" are all that is good about the world. I blame Ayn Rand.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's foolish in the extreme to expect an organization founded for the sole goal of turning a profit to treat its employees in an ethical manner. It's even more foolish to fail to introduce government regulations to combat said abuses.[COLOR="red"]
    Its not foolish. I work for one of the largest banks in the world (HSBC) and they do treat us (their employees) in an ethical manner (at least in my country and in the UK, not sure about the US employees).

Hell, im just an intern and i do make about twice the national min. wage + healthcare + benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not foolish. I work for one of the largest banks in the world (HSBC) and they do treat us (their employees) in an ethical manner (at least in my country and in the UK, not sure about the US employees).

Hell, im just an intern and i do make about twice the national min. wage + healthcare + benefits.
    It is foolish, period. Businesses that treat their employees well of their own volition are an aberration.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 04:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well... we started by declaring corporations "people" and then proceded to demonize unions and start passing "right to work" laws. So.... lots of things are wrong I'd say. But at its core there is a vocal minority of people and thus politicians that think the working poor are leeches on society and that the "job creators" are all that is good about the world. I blame Ayn Rand.
    Ayn Rand, McCarthy. Even the Founders have a hand in it due to the way they designed the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It is foolish, period. Businesses that treat their employees well of their own volition are an aberration.
    Doesnt change the fact that it can work out just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of y'all make it sound as if employers are cracking whips.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the business and the job. If you are an interchangeable cog with no real skills, then you are correct. The harder you are to replace, the better the company should treat you to stop you from going to another company that will treat you better. If they dont, then they will lack skilled employees and no longer be competitive.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Walmart always has been and always will be a POS company. I don't understand why people still act shocked when they pull something like this. They are just using the Affordable Care Act as an excuse. This is no better or worse than in the 90's when they were taking out life insurance policies, payable to Walmart, on their employees without them knowing. This country would be so much better off if every Walmart burned to the ground.

Every thing in the OPs orginal post is BS. I work for Wal-mart too. I am not one of those that bleed and moan and defend the company at every turn. I am just the average guy that there for a paycheck.

Wal-mart hires both full and part time everyday. We do hire Ex-Military.....but so does every other company out there. Yes, Ex-Military get shots at management....but so does anyone that already works there and shows potential.

The OP just needs to get over himself and see its a job just like any other. He comes accross like someone passed over for a promotion and is just plain angry and lashing out.

For those that are on the Anti-Mart bandwagon, consider this...Every single anti walmart website out there is backed by unions trying to force thier way into the Walmart work force. Its all about them making money. Not about the people at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaramas View Post
    Every thing in the OPs orginal post is BS. I work for Wal-mart too. I am not one of those that bleed and moan and defend the company at every turn. I am just the average guy that there for a paycheck.

Wal-mart hires both full and part time everyday. We do hire Ex-Military.....but so does every other company out there. Yes, Ex-Military get shots at management....but so does anyone that already works there and shows potential.

The OP just needs to get over himself and see its a job just like any other. He comes accross like someone passed over for a promotion and is just plain angry and lashing out.

For those that are on the Anti-Mart bandwagon, consider this...Every single anti walmart website out there is backed by unions trying to force thier way into the Walmart work force. Its all about them making money. Not about the people at all.
    The OP was saying it's a change in the pipeline, not yet implemented.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    One more reason not to buy at Walmart, I guess.
    Thank God I don't have Walmart in my country, although I would love to see them pull this move, there. (hint: it's illegal).

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The question there is: "How much should national healthcare cover?". Basic treatments? High end treatments? Expensive life support for 1% survival patients? Where do you draw the line?
    Personally I would be happy if national healthcare covered everything the most generous health insurance company covers(like an average plan). They can still charge copays or split part of the cost with the patient to ensure its not abused if they want. Of course there should be some kind of means testing so that if you are very poor(like people who currently get medicare because of low income) you dont have to pay copays for non-elective procedures.

It would be the best system if its run at least as well as insurance companies do it. Wouldnt be hard either since all they have to do is hire all the people that work at Kaiser, Aetna, Cigna, Humana and every other healthcare companyas they know what they are doing and wont really have a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Target is superior anyway. I don't feel like I'm going to turn a corner and see someone cooking meth in the aisle there.
    Is Target the same was wallmart in America?
    Here Target is mostly a clothes store. For example the one I go to has the entire bottom floor being women's clothes, then the top floor is mens clothes, kids clothes, shoes and then they have a small section of the store where they sell kitchen/bathroom stuff (pots and pans or towels) and games and dvds but they are always expensive and never on sale where as the clothes are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    One more reason not to buy at Walmart, I guess.
    Thank God I don't have Walmart in my country, although I would love to see them pull this move, there. (hint: it's illegal).
    Yes, we do have Walmarts around here. At least in the South.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Is Target the same was wallmart in America?
    Here Target is mostly a clothes store. For example the one I go to has the entire bottom floor being women's clothes, then the top floor is mens clothes, kids clothes, shoes and then they have a small section of the store where they sell kitchen/bathroom stuff (pots and pans or towels) and games and dvds but they are always expensive and never on sale where as the clothes are cheap.
    Target is like Wal-Mart in the US, yes, though their selection isn't quite as large, they cost slightly more, and they don't have the low-class image that Wal-Mart projects.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Yes, we do have Walmarts around here. At least in the South.
    My profile has misguided you. I'm from Portugal, temporarily living in Brasil. I do know Walmart exists here in São Paulo. My point remains, I do not intend to buy from them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Target is like Wal-Mart in the US, yes, though their selection isn't quite as large, they cost slightly more, and they don't have the low-class image that Wal-Mart projects.
    We don't even have Wal-Mart here, I'd like them to come here because being able to buy all the stuff they sell in Wal-Mart in one store would be awesome. But unfortunately we don't have any store like that. We have two that come close but from what I understand aren't actually anywhere nearly as big.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    Maximising profits usually trumps being nice in a capitalist society, I'm afraid. As much as I support Obama, the way the healthcare system is implemented lead to this, nothing else.
    So countries in other part of the world who has free healthcare for everyone. That should happen there as well but it is not...

Not trying to bash or anything. but no matter how you put it. This is because walmart is trying to pay as little as possible. In my country this would be highly illigal and then company would be forced to not do it.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Doesnt change the fact that it can work out just fine.
    Rare exceptions occur but do not stand for the vast majority.

A bill like that would never pass in the first place because you are describing single payer and the Republicans are paid a lot of money by insurance companies to prevent that from ever happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blame Wal-Mart? I think not. Blame the stupidity of Obamacare in raising the cost of labor (one of the largest if not the largest segment of business operating costs). You want to fix health care costs (which Obama didn't do anyway) without screwing over the nation? Remove a great deal of the federal regulations on health care and it might happen. Anything else simply causes more damage (like Obamacare did in making it profitable for companies to only hire part time).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8