Page 24 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's an issue when you let racist thoughts affect your preconceived thoughts of people and actually act on it.

I recognize I might have some racist tendencies in my thoughts, but the fact is I notice them and do my best to not let them take over my thinking. It's unfortunate society still so strongly, more or less, encourages racism, by being racist itself.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You're trying to digest two different problems at once. People think you are a racist, and people automatically assuming that racism is wrong are on different ends of the spectrum. Racism is quite literally the belief that humanity is divided into different races, and that members of a certain race share qualities that make the group superior or inferior in some way. The perception of inferior or superior is completely subjective within our perspective of things. Racism can easily be boiled down to the belief that all men are not created equal, which they are not, and that in itself boils down to biological fact. Trying to argue against it is futile. Believing that someone may be a criminal because of the color of their skin, is probably not a good way to conduct business, but realizing that they have a higher probability of being a criminal over another race, is not necessarily a bad thing. If in the course of your lifetime, you ate at 100 different Burger King's, and 46 of them served you food that you would describe as disgusting, you would most likely develop the belief that Burger King is not a good choice for dining. While each individual Burger King could potentially serve you a meal that would knock your socks off, in order to make life efficient and convenient, we judge things as a whole. We do it in almost every aspect of life, and it is a part of our modern society, and a by-product of our system of modern conveniences. I for one, am not a fan of "chick-flicks" however that doesn't mean I would never like one, but in an effort to save myself time wasted, I'm not going to watch every one that comes out, in hopes of finding that rare gem that will satisfy my sensibilities. Now the other half of the equation is people who "play the part" and this part can go both ways. I've seen white guys wearing "thug" clothes and experienced the same thoughts had he been a black guy. It has been proven on many different social levels, that a black guy in an oxford suit will be judged and labeled differently than a black guy wearing baggy clothes with his pants damn near down to his ankles. They're both black, but one will be seen in an inferior light, however if you look at Facebook, I bet you more people are worried about Wall Street bankers than they are hoodlums. It all comes down to how you look at things. Being racist isn't bad. You might offend some people, but many of the things implemented to achieve racial equality are racist themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Then you ARE a little racist. You do admit they are different don't you? That in itself is a form of racism, nothing to be ashamed about, we are all the same.
    What a load of shit, being racist by noticing someone's race?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    People often try to pass off ignorance as racism, and most times it's wrong. There are obvious differences between races, that's a given. Racism, as I'm sure it's been posted a bunch of times over 24 pages (didn't read all just skimmed so sorry if I reiterate), is the belief that there is one race that is superior to others. If people confuse the two, that's their own problem. Everyone has their stereotypes and that's simply something that is born from seeing a bunch of similar people doing similar things in a fashion that leaves an impression.

In order to be a racist you pretty much have to be an idiot. If there is something you don't like about people, your problem is with Humans, not a single race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beartastic View Post
    People often try to pass off ignorance as racism, and most times it's wrong. There are obvious differences between races, that's a given. Racism, as I'm sure it's been posted a bunch of times over 24 pages (didn't read all just skimmed so sorry if I reiterate), is the belief that there is one race that is superior to others. If people confuse the two, that's their own problem. Everyone has their stereotypes and that's simply something that is born from seeing a bunch of similar people doing similar things in a fashion that leaves an impression.
    Totally concur with this, not being racist is not about pretending the human race is completely homogeneous (it's not, and that's a good thing), but being able to get over those insignificant differences.

If someone is really serious racism and feeling superior to other "races", maybe even acting on it then yes, it is a huge problem. At the same time, a tiny bit of humourous racism can be a source of limitless entertainment as long as everyone involved is cool with it, like exploiting common stereotypes. For instance, one of my co-workers came to Germany from Afghanistan when he was 4 or 5. He calls me infidel, I call him terrorist, all of it is done in good fun, we still hang out a lot and everything. Some people take this shit way too far and way too seriously. Also, Americans are REALLY quick to label someone racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a big deal. The pain is real and long lasting. Few things have the tendency to scar as deep as the violence that follows blind, meaningless hate.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I am a racist against racists.
    Racism = lack of intelect, and no, I dont care how many degrees you've got.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem.
    Cultures and living circumstances make people more prone, not their skin color.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    One is a race, the other is an opinion. Yes, I can 'tolerate' people of any race, but I can't tolerate people based on their opinion. To compare people being tolerated based on race as equal to that of opinion, is really messed up. You don't see the conflict of having to defend your race versus defending an opinion?
    Your opinion is a racist is wrong?
    My opinion is you can be one if you like.... How can you say I am wrong and you are right? It is just both our opinions?
    (please don't bring up bullying, harassment, violence ect ect as anything of this on any human is the same)
    I do not think someone is bad for not liking a race of people, they don't have to.
    They may have any opinions they want just as you want yours.

There are certain races that I would say I'm "racist" against, but not because I don't like the color of their skin. It's because I see a good portion of that race acting in a violent or criminal manner. I understand that it's their environment that effects their behavior rather than genetics, but after you see so much of a behavior that you don't like or agree with coming from a certain group of people, it's only human nature to generalize.

The people claiming to have a higher level of intelligence because you "don't see skin color" really need to get off your high horse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by havenwood29 View Post
    There are certain races that I would say I'm "racist" against, but not because I don't like the color of their skin. It's because I see a good portion of that race acting in a violent or criminal manner. I understand that it's their environment that effects their behavior rather than genetics, but after you see so much of a behavior that you don't like or agree with coming from a certain group of people, it's only human nature to generalize.

The people claiming to have a higher level of intelligence because you "don't see skin color" really need to get off your high horse.
    This extremely flawed logic when you factor in that majority of the know serial killers are caucasian. Most rapes, extortions, embezzlement and high-end fraud is also dominated by middle age caucasians. So ALL races have people who behave in a violent or criminal manner it has nothing to do with "skin color". It's just more common hearing about terrorists and gang members(who are of the obvious races you're alluding to) then serial rapists and serial killers these days.. You have the WORST sweeping generalization i've ever heard.

If anybody wants to argue my post you link every NON-Caucasian serial killer, or serial rapist. Or better yet currupt ceo's, politicians, coaches you name em, I will list double the caucasians.

There is no excuse for racism there are great people of every race, gender, orientation and what have you so that whole one bad apple ruins the batch is BS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racism is (roughly) the belief that races are different in power. But this isn't false in any regard.

So it's not the word that's bad, it's the people who abuse it and indulge in it.

Stereotyping and Fascism are worse than Racism, as most people who are referred to as "racists" are simply people who indulge in stereotyping and fascism, which basically creates culturalism.

People look too hard for negativity in a word instead of accepting it for what it meant. Like the "N" word. People don't understand they should be equally offended for being called "black".

There are far less racists than there are culturalists.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely nothing wrong with having a little racial pride. Everyone is racist to some degree, we all judge people whether it's out loud or in thought. We all have preferences of things based on race, it's okay. The only time it's a legitimately a big deal, is when your feelings start affecting other people mentally or physically.

Edit - Oh and seeing the N word stuff above me, it's from the portugese and latin terms for black. It was slang/mispronunciation on the original word(s) and some how got morphed into a racist term...Can't wait for the day when overly sensitive people say that whites can't use the word esse and blacks, asians, latinos, etc can't use the word cracker.
    Last edited by Zdain; 2013-01-28 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. You can think of me as a _________ing _______ __________ _______ if you want, but keep it to yourself.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Nope. You can think of me as a flying gargoyal pooping cupcakes if you want, but keep it to yourself.
    I tried keeping it to myself, but I'm not my own person sometimes.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Everyone a racist deep down even if they don't admit it.
    Not true at all rofl, but keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

Deleted
    Because racism is nonsense and silly and harms entirely innocent people, that's why it's a big deal.
    How can it harm innocent people? If I decide to call a black person the N-word, why should that person be offended? They and their fathers haven't felt the pain of being a slave, and have no relevance to the history of their people. If i would be called for the N-word i wouldn't be offended at all, perhaps a little offended by the stupidity. If in your entire life you haven't been through what they claim you have, why should you have the authority of being offended by something you haven't really been titled?

It's offensive in a way to be offended by being called a word that you haven't been through. If i would live a hundred years in the past and would have been a black person during those times slavery was so popular, I wouldn't want my great great sons/daughters to be offended by something that only I have experienced.

It's stupid, not offensive. People just like to overreact if the harm is meant to be sent their way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know what you're saying. I only speak my mind to those close to me/friends.

I have friends of every race & have been attracted to at least 1 girl in every race; so am I a complete racist? I think not.

It's true in some places though, that some races are worse off than others. It goes both ways as well, though - always a handful of idiots that make any race look bad.

Example of my mind: Where I live, black people are everywhere; more than there used to be 5-7 years ago. While I have made a few friends with them whom I love being around, there are many more who just severely suck. I don't like black culture in the least - my black friends aren't loud, obnoxious, creepy, ghetto, etc. Now that would start to look racist, right? Well, I'm just simply pointing out obvious characteristics MOST seem to share. Idk why it's this way and the stereotypes exist because, well, it's freaking true. All I do is keep my mouth shut and observe, and I've observed this for years in my state/college town. I'm easily annoyed and angered by black people here. There is just something about African Americans versus other countries. Hell, I LOVE actual Africans. I have 2 Nigerian friends and they fucking rock my socks. But many in America are just obnoxious in every way shape and form.

Does this make me racist? One could argue that. But how could I be completely? I hang out with a lot of foreigners here at my university and out of pure curiosity, I ask them all the same question - "Do you like black people here in the states?" You wouldn't believe how many say no way. They're not shy about it at all. So, all the foreigners (Aussie, German, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Austrian, Russian) allllllll say the same thing. I asked them why. They said: They're too loud, obnoxious, ghetto, creepy (guys staring).

Why am I throwing in that tidbit? Just to show that I may not be completely racist; I just may be on to something in regards to the black community in this place. So what has this done to/for me? Well, nothing except to avoid them as best I can and enforces the stereotypes because it's real, at least here. I could give many more examples but there is no point. Am I ignorant? If being around that kind of crowd really upsets me and makes me uncomfortable, then no, I don't see why it would. I'm not mean to black people, I smile at them if they look at me, I hold doors, etc., but at the end of the day, they're my least favorite crowd.

To me, racism is so much more than all that ^^. I think true racism is hating another race for any reason, as there wouldn't be a good one. When ignorance & hate flow out of an individual and they'd sooner see that person dead than help them, then there you go. Every race has its bads and stereotypes. For me, in the USA, it's African Americans who displease me in a majority. Reasons being the ones I mentioned above as well as many bad experiences personally where they're actually the ignorant ones towards me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because saying that racism is an acceptable viewpoint does not work in the real world where in secret "everyone's racist" but everyone still needs to be treated equally.

It's really, that easy to explain.

And no, not everyone is racist. People may be prejudiced in different ways, but that doesn't always equate to race. There is a very very clear difference.