Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    All they need to copy from TES:O is the graphics :P
    I like cartoon graphics. They stand the test of time. "Realistic" graphics look bad a year or two later and don't run nearly as well on as many PCs.

There's no "OMG WOW KILLER" debate here. The discussion is on: if ESO is successful, how would Blizzard respond?

I personally don't care about how WoW evolves. I just want ESO to succeed. And by succeed I mean hook me the way WoW did oh those many years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

From what I understand though, it's primarily a PvP game (isn't the open world PvP area like several zones in size?) so maybe if it actually works, Blizzard will find a way to bring that back to WoW outside of 10minute TB/WG fights every 2 hours.

I'll check it out because I'm a HUGE TES fan. If the game is solid and not a pile of broken promises like SWTOR was, I may sub to it
    I know Cyrodiil is completely dedicated to large scale PvP, but I'm pretty sure there will be world PvP as well. I for one look forward to killing every khajiit I come across.

Elder Scrolls Online to me looks like slipping back to the typical "copy WoW" formula with nothing new to it. Blizz will not need to beat it, the game will beat itself. p
    WoW has open dungeons, classless leveling, and true action combat?

Calling all your readers inept. Nice.
    I have a superiority complex.

Didn't Amalur tank? I mean the studio who made it was shut down
    It didn't tank, it just didn't sell the 3 million copies it needed to save 38 Studios from bankruptcy.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    I like cartoon graphics. They stand the test of time. "Realistic" graphics look bad a year or two later and don't run nearly as well on as many PCs.
    And this. One of my many concerns with ESO is if it's graphics will stand the test of time. So far, it isn't looking like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

wow needs competition badly to make wow better.

i dont see it in TES online

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    And this. One of my many concerns with ESO is if it's graphics will stand the test of time. So far, it isn't looking like it.
    Eh, graphics are nothing special to me. I mean, sure, the game may be graphically impressive, but if there's no solid aesthetic behind it... well, you see what I mean. That's why I love WoW's visuals.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

TES:O currently doesn't look like it's bringing anything new to the table
    It's a cut-and-paste template MMO with TES lore and graphics

There'll be nothing for WoW to copy

10+ Year Old Account
    These graphics have looked bad for two expansions now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh God can we not step down this road, your gunna ruin ESO for me.

ESO will do nothing to WoW, people get this through your thick skulls plz. We have witnessed this time & time again and its the same outcome.

ESO will only be a success if it isn't compared to WoW & is in a totally different market range (B2P).

Oh btw im not pointing fingers at OP, I'm pointing fingers at other people in the thread. After the last how many failures, it would suck if an actually good game gets ruined cause of hype.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2013-01-28 at 01:35 AM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
    It will have the same effect on WoW as other big-name MMO titles had. Some will leave, but WoW will still be absolutely fine.

I personally am looking forward to it, and hope that in spite of the fact it is DAoC2 with an elder scrolls skin (some people actually LOVe this fact, me I'm meh). I just hope they stay true to the lore. I am a huge elder scrolls nerd and for the first time in an MMO ever..... I intend to roleplay. :| That's just how I play elder scrolls games. c:

And Castiell, you are 100% right. WoW is a big old leach that has stolen other ideas and halfassedly implemented them since it was made. Doesn't change the fact it is a legitimate strategy...... just like the noob tube in call of duty, rocket launcher in halo, and other cheap strategies. >.>
    No... They take popular mechanics in the genre of game that they make and implement them so they can compete. Every single game ever has done this. You can't avoid that, and the way WoW does it has fine polish, it isn't half-ass. Do you have any idea how hard it can be to come up with a unique game mechanic that no single game has ever done before? Even raiding in EQ was derived from the idea of real life raiding parties in the medieval days, that's not unique. Everything comes from somewhere. To compete, you must give people what they want. If they want raiding, we need raiding. If they want guilds with perks, we need guilds with perks. That's how it works.

You are not only one. When I look at all those WoW killers with super duper graphics they just look "meh" for modern standards, while WoW graphics will last for some time.

If TES Online is anything like Skyrim and the other TES single player games (I don't really know anything about TES Online), then the game concepts are almost completely incompatible with each other (meaning WoW can't really incorporate anything from it) and also don't attract the same crowd. You could also ask "If CoD:MW7 takes off, how will it affect WoW?", imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    TES:O currently doesn't look like it's bringing anything new to the table
    It's a cut-and-paste template MMO with TES lore and graphics

There'll be nothing for WoW to copy
    With some questionable design choices. From what I've heard there will be full zones that you cannot access unless you are on the correct faction. Not zones with no quests for you, or you'll be killed on sight by guards, zones you straight up cannot enter
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Like, this is a game made by a company with no MMO experience, barely any game-making experience and who haven't made any TES games
    Obviously it's made up of people with industry experience but this is the first time their team has made anything as a company
    Please, for yourself, don't get your expectations too high

It's always possible they'll knock something out of the park but considering that MMOs are among the hardest games to get right with the most complicated interlocking systems
    it's almost certainly not going to happen

Measuring MMOs based on WoW is a waste of time and energy. That includes both for anxiety over, and desperate longing for, something to be a "WoW killer". There won't be a "WoW killer" other than a change in either the general economy or the entire gaming market. Yet, there will be other MMOs that find success and profitability. Having more subs than WoW is not what gets these guys out of bed in the morning, or their investors, because "more subs than WoW" is not the measure of success. "Taking in more money than it costs us to bring the product to market" is. Not just for an MMO, but for everything.

So I think TESO has potential to do quite well. It's unlikely that it will ever go north of 10 million, probably not even 5 million concurrent active subscriptions, though. But can still be a tremendous success even if not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off.
    Don't have to worry about that then.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Like, this is a game made by a company with no MMO experience, barely any game-making experience and who haven't made any TES games
    Obviously it's made up of people with industry experience but this is the first time their team has made anything as a company
    Please, for yourself, don't get your expectations too high

It's always possible they'll knock something out of the park but considering that MMOs are among the hardest games to get right with the most complicated interlocking systems
    it's almost certainly not going to happen

Well, I got some hope because of that, they are unexperienced and I think they know that people think that they will make fail. And with such pressure they actually could make great game, and show to the world that they can make something whorth mentioning.

TES doesn't look my cup of tea personally, but I sincerely hope it doesn't fail.

That said, I hoped the same for GW2, and GW2 has kind of fell flat on its face.

I know a good number of people still play it, but it's not as much of a crazy following as it was at the beginning of its launch, like most games.

Anyways, as for your point, possibly. WoW adapted for the market after Cata and Mists is a huge hit with the community (I don't care what any of you who dislike it say, it obviously is and you can't deny that).

So yeah, it'll have to adapt again, and probably in time for the next Expansion. It's obvious Blizzard keeps an eye on its competition like SWTOR, Rift, and GW2 to stay in the game.

And guys, he's not saying it's a WoW killer so don't jump down his throat. He actually makes a good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I can tell you exactly what ESO will be like now.

Generic MMO. Little new. A crappy, bloated UI with little to no modability. Will launch with a fee, will go free to play later. Basically every MMO in the last few years. It's pretty much a market doomed for failure, WoW pretty much gets away with itself by having such a large pre-existing base. It's pretty much grandfathered in!

I don't think he so much said it's a WoW killer as much as seem anxious about the idea it ever could be. The real answer is -- abandon the concept completely, it doesn't exist. It's not how any of these developers define their job.

I just couldn't stay into GW2. Got a character to 62 then just suddenly didn't feel like logging in. "Rift" has gotten a bit too scifi and a bit too little high fantasy for me lately. My general enthusiasm for all things "Star Wars" has gotten me playing around with TOR again a bit, and it's definitely better off than I left it (even though all the server condensing and F2P changes means almost every character had to change names *and* the UI reset... who does that make want to play, Bioware?), but WoW is sort of old reliable.