Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Care to enlighten me? You genuinely think that Athene was joking? A smart troll to boost his fame? Giving yourself a controversial persona in order to become famous?
    Absolutely. I have no doubt in my mind that his whole shtick was exactly that - a shtick. If you want to call it trolling, you can I guess, but I'd be more inclined to say he was just playing a character. If you go back and look at his earliest stuff, it's pretty obvious just how over the top it is, complete with the goofy shirtless guy and such. I thought it was funny for a bit back then and that it was even a bit clever; I couldn't believe people were actually mad, like it was real.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    And now that he's most likely one of the most famous player out there he shows his "true" self, which is nothing but a saint in front of a gaming keyboard? I call bs.
    I have no idea what the real guy is like. A saint? I'd doubt it. That doesn't mean that the character portrayed wasn't a character.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Care to enlighten me? You genuinely think that Athene was joking? A smart troll to boost his fame? Giving yourself a controversial persona in order to become famous?
    Are you serious? Watch his first videos.

    EDIT:
    For contrast (check the dates):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYrFR9RT_U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deT4hQ2KN7s
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-01-27 at 10:53 PM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It's amusing that he essentially says, "hey, I get a lot of kids that don't understand I'm joking, and that it's satire, so they rage on me".
    Ahh using comedy as a shield, he is a regular bill maher when he gets called out...

  4. #24
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Even when you play a character you have to deal with the negative side effects of it. You lose credibility in other fields which are contradicting to your character's field.

    For example, lets take Rowan Atkinson. He IS Mr. Bean. There is almost nothing he can do to change this... even if he is looking for more serious roles, when you look at his face he will always remain Mr. Bean. Many people do not even know his real name.

    What do I want to say? Even if you just played a character, people will always identify you with your most successful character. Athene was, over the years, always the negative type of person in my eyes and he will remain as such most likely forever. To me, his old persona was the real one and this here now is nothing but a PR thing.

    I am sure he makes a decent living with his gaming and all his charity projects, which is why I assume that he wants to reach a more mature audience. It's a fake persona, created to achieve views and possible donations... at least in my eyes. Therefore, he has no right to talk badly about a community when he actually contributed negatively himself to this community.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 11:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    Are you serious? Watch his first videos.


    Yeah? As I said, he is either a smart troll, or genuinely an asshole. Either way, it disqualifies him from talking about others.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Even when you play a character you have to deal with the negative side effects of it. You lose credibility in other fields which are contradicting to your character's field.
    Not really. I'm going to go ahead and doubt you apply this logic to people doing other forms of acting.

    For example, lets take Rowan Atkinson. He IS Mr. Bean. There is almost nothing he can do to change this... even if he is looking for more serious roles, when you look at his face he will always remain Mr. Bean. Many people do not even know his real name.

    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    What do I want to say? Even if you just played a character, people will always identify you with your most successful character. Athene was, over the years, always the negative type of person in my eyes and he will remain as such most likely forever. To me, his old persona was the real one and this here now is nothing but a PR thing.

    I am sure he makes a decent living with his gaming and all his charity projects, which is why I assume that he wants to reach a more mature audience. It's a fake persona, created to achieve views and possible donations... at least in my eyes. Therefore, he has no right to talk badly about a community when he actually contributed negatively himself to this community.
    Alright, but your inability to distinguish between a character and a person reflects on your more than him.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Yeah? As I said, he is either a smart troll, or genuinely an asshole. Either way, it disqualifies him from talking about others.
    It disqualifies him from talking about others? I guess I'll stop talking to you then... Also, see my edit above.

  7. #27
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Alright, but your inability to distinguish between a character and a person reflects on your more than him.
    What are you even talking about?

    I can't just talk shit about other people all day long, say I am the best ever, and when people call me out on it I just say "lol that was just the character I was playing".

    Especially because he just doesn't say it himself. I have yet to see a video where he says "guys, all my previous videos and my behavior are fake, I did it for the clicks".

  8. #28
    Bloodsail Admiral Ninaran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,035
    I never liked Athene. I had some perverse respect for him, but never liked him.

    He makes a fair point though.
    Ex-Rogue; Ex-Paladin
    Mastery will fix it.

  9. #29
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    It disqualifies him from talking about others? I guess I'll stop talking to you then... Also, see my edit above.
    Argumentum ad hominem... Stay classy.

  10. #30
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,891
    This is why I don't generally add input in the game at all I ignore almost everything.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Argumentum ad hominem... Stay classy.
    My comment didn't aim to attack you, but your argument. You're saying immature people are disqualified from talking about others, yet at the same time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Alright, but your inability to distinguish between a character and a person reflects on your more than him.
    See my point?

  12. #32
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by reckoner04 View Post
    My comment didn't aim to attack you, but your argument. You're saying immature people are disqualified from talking about others, yet at the same time...
    I'll just quote myself

    Yeah? As I said, he is either a smart troll, or genuinely an asshole. Either way, it disqualifies him from talking about others.
    Where did I say something about being immature? Immature people are not always bad people. They actually deliver quality imput from time to time.

    "Acting" like Athene did has nothing to do with being immature, but with being clinical. You can't jump from persona to persona, pretend that this is the "real you" and still think that everyone is going to take you serious.

    And where exactly am I immature anyway? Because I call bs on his videos? If that's considered being immature nowadays...

  13. #33
    Titan
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    13,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodylotion View Post
    It's kinda hard to imagine you think of people aged over 30+ go "YOLO" or "LAWL" and all that crap that people do today.
    The only people who yell "YOLO" or "SWAG" are special. The rest of us mock them.

    The internet has always been a hellhole. If you're offended by it, you're either in the wrong place or you need to take off the rose tinted glasses. the fact you posted a video of Athene because he "made you believe" makes me think it really doesn't matter to you either way. Kids don't rule anything of importance.

    If you think yelling random abbreviations and words, or that using certain services, means they're in charge of something important, then perhaps you should join them. Normal people could give a shit about the latest trends. Instagram? Fuck that. Everyone who uses it and starts to add filters is instantly a dickhead. Sorry, that's just my thought on it. I'd rather not be associated with anyone who does that. Yelling yolo and swag? Fuck those too. They're the equivalent of chavs who yell "fuckin' dickhead mate" in the middle of the street and so again, I'd rather not be associated with them.

    Kids don't rule the internet.
    [...]

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    "Acting" like Athene did has nothing to do with being immature, but with being clinical. You can't jump from persona to persona, pretend that this is the "real you" and still think that everyone is going to take you serious.
    I think this is part of the YouTube era. People really can make YouTube posts that are really not much different than playing a character. It's up to viewers, to some extent, to determine what's real and what's not. In the case of Athene, I think it's pretty damned obvious.

  15. #35
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Kids don't rule the internet.
    Np, 4chan does. scnr.

    But you are right... People join bandwagons just too easily, there is no OC anymore. Anway, in the real world this shit doesn't even matter. I barely met anyone who knew what YOLO meant.

  16. #36
    I got my first internet connection in 1999 and the idiots were always there. The only thing that has changed is that in today's day and age, there's an internet connection in nearly every household - not to mention the whole mobile thing - whereas in 1999 it still wasn't a standard domestic need. More computers, more idiots. And they come in ALL ages, it doesn't really have something to do with "children".

  17. #37
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think this is part of the YouTube era. People really can make YouTube posts that are really not much different than playing a character. It's up to viewers, to some extent, to determine what's real and what's not. In the case of Athene, I think it's pretty damned obvious.
    I think people can be honest, themselves, and still be successful. I disliked him because of his attitude, even if it was just played. Be a pro, be restrained and give off good vibes while gaming. Be an inspiring example for others, then you can talk about attitude on the internet.

    He contributed to this community with his shit attitude from the past and to an extent he formed it this way. He doesn't even fucking admit himself that it was just show, so why should anyone talk in his favor?

    You can't act tough all the time, pretend to be the shit, and then make a 180° turnover and still expect people to believe your stuff.
    Last edited by StayTuned; 2013-01-27 at 11:22 PM.

  18. #38
    I find it dismaying that many people flat out refuse to discuss or acknowledge any side effects of the internet. Like they're afraid their golden calf will be taken away or something.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think this is part of the YouTube era. People really can make YouTube posts that are really not much different than playing a character. It's up to viewers, to some extent, to determine what's real and what's not. In the case of Athene, I think it's pretty damned obvious.
    Damn it! You mean that girl that loves cats.. every kinda cat, doesn't really love cats?!!

  20. #40
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,958
    I made the example with Rowan to show that playing characters is not just a joke. You can't tell me that when you see his face you don't see Mr. Bean.

    What I want to say is... once people associate you with a specific persona, it is very hard to get rid of this image. Even while everyone knows that Rowan is just an actor, he shall forever be remembered as Mr. Bean.

    Athene did a good job creating a very controversial persona around himself and he has to walk a long way to get rid of this. Right now is not the time for him to talk bad about others, especially not about the internet community.

    Kudos to him for his charity work, though. If he doesn't suddenly make shit videos again I might even start respecting him a little bit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •