Thread: No Leg Cardio?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

No Leg Cardio?

I was wondering if there was any real cardio exercises you can do without the use of your legs. That is, not running or biking, stuff that can really get your heart racing but without using you legs?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Roll like a banana. Don't use your legs for locomotion, use your abs.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Roll like a banana. Don't use your legs for locomotion, use your abs.
    Banana's don't roll.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

rowing will kick your ass.

theres some swim stuff you can do. do you mean no legs at all or "i have bad knees and running hurts" no legs?

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    rowing will kick your ass.

theres some swim stuff you can do. do you mean no legs at all or "i have bad knees and running hurts" no legs?
    I have flat feet and and last year I had knee surgery and was told not to run no legs.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

If you can find access to a stationary rowing machine that would probably work.

Edit: Crunk beat me to it lol.

Edit 2: If you can still use your legs I would imagine any rowing machine would work. I don't feel any strain on my legs when I do it but it may be different if I had surgery so I cannot speak to that, however you could try it lightly.
    Last edited by EyelessCrow; 2013-01-14 at 08:52 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a zero arch also. I haven't had to have surgery but I do have to avoid running.
    What I do is walk as fast as i can on a treadmill but I do it at a really good incline. This gives your body the same workout heart-rate wise as a decent jog.
    Not sure if you are limited to the point where you can't even do this, but If not, I'd highly suggest it.

Well I do a lot of biking when it is warm, but now that its so cold I still bike to work but I can't go on long rides for exercise. Trying to come up with something to do until it gets warmer again.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Stairmaster in the handstand position?!

A local gym I go to has a rope-pulling machine. Put on a low enough setting and done for a long enough amount of time and its a purely upper body cardio system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I have flat feet and and last year I had knee surgery and was told not to run no legs.
    obviously im not your doctor, but it sounds like swimming is right up your alley. run it by him, but its a great low-impact excerise for bad knees/feet

Swimming sounds optimal from what you've said. If you really don't want to use your legs at all though, you could try a handcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    obviously im not your doctor, but it sounds like swimming is right up your alley. run it by him, but its a great low-impact excerise for bad knees/feet
    They said swimming is fine, but like what pool is open when its 20 degrees outside. Fahrenheit
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2013-01-15 at 01:12 AM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

They said swimming is fine, but like what pool is open when its 20 degrees outside. Fahrenheit
    Depending on the city you're in, a lot of health and community centers have nice indoor pools.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Depending on the city you're in, a lot of health and community centers have nice indoor pools.
    Those aren't free.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Those aren't free.
    Well, no, I suppose they're not. They're not very expensive either though.

Do you ride a road bike? If so, you could invest in some rollers.

A lot of gymns have indoor or outdoor (heated) pools. So, ya swimming is good.

I'm a bit confused though, if you have bad knees, and can't run... can't you just do an Elliptical machine? From my understanding, running is bad on your knees because of the shock of impact with your foot hitting the ground. Both biking and elliptical should be ok in your case... that is unless you JUST HAD the surgery.

Swimming is the way to go. Freestyle swimming is the best cardio exercise out there.

You're going to have to pay some amount of money to do any of these things (gym membership for rows, etc) so you might as well pay for the best exercise.