Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gniral View Post
    most people are extremely close minded, and often flat out ignorant about every culture which happen to be different from theirs.
    Exactly. And sometimes plain xenophobic.

And in case of fantasy settings, they are ignorant about myths it's derived from.

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Are you honestly trying to compare raping and pillaging to forcing slaves to build a wall? You just want to argue, don't you?
    Yeah, I'm sure the Mongols never raped or pillaged. They were so badass that some Germans made a song about their leader.

Here's some more info about the world's greatest conqueror who created an empire that would go on to encompass 22% of the earth's surface:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...s-dropped.html

He killed so many people that the earth's carbon level dropped...

The vikings were noob fishermen by comparison.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 12:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Jokes aside, MoP could be targeted specifically at Asian players without BC being targeted at aliens, WOTLK at Scandiniavians with Greek grandpas and Cataclysm at underwater-breathing shamanistic lava-spewing Arabico-Egyptian drakonids. You know all the expansions don't have to have the same goals.

It's weird that so many people on this thread distinguish Scandinavians from other Euros/caucasians, but lump all Asians together.

How does Kun Lai Summit cater to Koreans any more than Storm Peaks to the Americans?
    Last edited by SamR; 2013-01-29 at 09:06 PM.

some people don't think western aesthetics in fantasy can't or shouldn't fit with asian aesthetics, I don't see why seeing as there in the real world and even in most fantasy worlds there are different cultures that all look and have a base in the real world. why they think the whole world or planet should be based in Western style themes is ridiculous. but then again that's their opinion and you can take it or leave it. personally i love the way MoP is a change from what we have seen thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably because people negatively associate Asian references due to the hardcore weeaboos that are part of that community.

Odd enough to that no one complained about Draenei, them being references to Indian culture (the Elekks, accent).
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-01-29 at 09:02 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    It's weird that so many people on this thread distinguish Scandinavians from other Euros/caucasians, but lump all Asians together.

How does Kun Lai Summit cater to Koreans any more than Storm Peaks to the Americans?
    tell a Korean that their culture is the same as say in cambodia and you would quickly be seen as a moron at best and a racist at worst. it is shocking how in Europe all the cultures are different and wide ranging but somehow in asia one of the largest and most diverse continents in the world isn't treated the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fenixazul View Post
    One of the reasons why people hate this current expansion is the great amount of asian references and that it doesnt "fit" in the wow universe

Northrend was based in Norse mythology, and Troll cultures are a reference of Centro American/African cultures.
    so, northrend based in norse, troll based in centro american/african... that fits perfectly... but asian references in pandaria don't fit in the WoW universe? /facepalm

am I missing something or is that just... really stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    so, northrend based in norse, troll based in centro american/african... that fits perfectly... but asian references in pandaria don't fit in the WoW universe? /facepalm

yep we can have: vikings, western European, Egyptian, tribal aesthetics but Asian oh no that wont work at all. and no...its just flat out stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emoelitistthreadderailer View Post
    also, the music also gets on my fekkin tits. all that jingly jangly wooshoo crap.
    Respectfully, I think the music is amazing. In just about every other continent, I'll turn off the music and play stuff on iTunes, or listen to reruns of Tales of the Texas Rangers (the radio broadcast, not the TV show starring the same cast). In Pandaria content, I almost always listen to the ingame music, especially on the Wandering Isle and in Valley of the Four Winds and Dawn's Blossom.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post

Nope, its just that stupid.

More to the point, people just have a pathetically narrow definition of what WoW "is" and are greatly intolerant of additions that go against their preconceived notions.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I think it has a lot to do more with the relationship the west and the east have with each other. Europe right now is like America's "older bro", so people actually pay attention to cultural differences. Europe also comes up more in history class because the US was basically birthed from it.

"Asia" to most is just that scary place with the communists with the "weird eyes" that their grandfather said were evil back in WW2 (often ignoring the fact that China was an ally back then versus the Japanese). The same happened pretty heavily to the Middle East after 911. Suddenly everyone outside of Israel that lived in that region was an "Arab" and all the other nationalities and ideals became homogenized because it made it easier to hate them all then work to distinguish the difference between Yemen, Kuwait, Iraq, Egypt and Iran, etc. There was a story once of an Indian man getting beat up because people thought he was Arab.

It has and always will be stupid.

(P.S. This is from an American perspective, I can't really speak for how people in EU act and feel)
    Last edited by Grocalis; 2013-01-29 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Also, Northrend was mostly Nordic anyway, with some Greco-roman titan stuff in it. Of course there were exceptions too...
    And Kun Lai Summit is Nepalese, as I stated above.

The point is(and sorry if your post was a bad example to use it on) that people on this thread like to make it clear that Scandinavians are not the same culture as all other Euros/caucasians. But yet those same people who like to single out Scandinavians also like to lump all Asians together.

They probably don't hate the Asian themes perse, but more what they associate with said themes. When I think of Asia for example, aside from the amazing architecture, history and food; I also think of a horde of pretentious, self-important and self-righteous teenagers who are there respective nationalities only in the genetic sense, and 'weeaboo' in every other sense. Which is fine and they are free to be so, but i'm not for one moment going to say they appear as anything other than pitiful idiots. That and you have arrogant animé fans, etc etc.

There's the good and there's the bad. All comes down to what people see more of in their minds when given a topic. Personally, I see much more 'good' in the Asia theme than the bad. All the greatness of Asia as a continent, versus wannabe Asians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    I think it has a lot to do more with the relationship the west and the east have with each other. Europe right now is like America's "older bro", so people actually pay attention to cultural differences. Europe also comes up more in history class because the US was basically birthed from it.

"Asia" to most is just that scary place with the communists with the "weird eyes" that their grandfather said were evil back in WW2 (often ignoring the fact that China was an ally back then versus the Japanese). The same happened pretty heavily to the Middle East after 911. Suddenly everyone outside of Israel that lived in that region was an "Arab" and all the other nationalities and ideals became homogenized because it made it easier to hate them all then work to distinguish the difference between Yemen, Kuwait, Iraq, Egypt and Iran, etc.

It has and always will be stupid.
    Also, it erks me that, as being ethnically Korean, while China, Japan, and even Taiwan are associated as being the East Asian countries, both Koreas are conveniently left out for some reason. Whether it has anything to do with the North having a batshit insane leader, I don't know. But still, Korea isn't that known about compared to China and Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    They probably don't hate the Asian themes perse, but more what they associate with said themes. When I think of Asia for example, aside from the amazing architecture, history and food; I also think of a horde of pretentious, self-important and self-righteous teenagers who are there respective nationalities only in the genetic sense, and 'weeaboo' in every other sense. Which is fine and they are free to be so, but i'm not for one moment going to say they appear as anything other than pitiful idiots. That and you have arrogant animé fans, etc etc.

There's the good and there's the bad. All comes down to what people see more of in their minds when given a topic. Personally, I see much more 'good' in the Asia theme than the bad. All the greatness of Asia as a continent, versus wannabe Asians.
    The weeaboos are the big thing. That's kind of why Western Animation is usually written off as being "inferior" compared to Eastern animation, despite some great titles being produced in Western animation (i.e. Avatar: The Last Airbender), and some bad titles being put out in the East.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-01-29 at 09:16 PM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

BTW, before the Horde, there was this horde:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Horde

Just sayin...

Because it's not actually Asian but actually pseudo-Asian Kung-Fu Panda

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    The weeaboos are the big thing. That's kind of why Western Animation is usually written off as being "inferior" compared to Eastern animation, despite some great titles being produced in Western animation (i.e. Avatar: The Last Airbender), and some bad titles being put out in the East.
    I think that might have to do with what gets chosen for export. When you are local, you see it all, the good and the bad. Exporting costs money, so you generally only export the good stuff guaranteed to be popular enough to be profitable. Tends to give a skewed view on the distribution of quality, when in reality people here are people there and they have the same spread of good and bad ideas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    I think that might have to do with what gets chosen for export. When you are local, you see it all, the good and the bad. Exporting costs money, so you generally only export the good stuff guaranteed to be popular enough to be profitable. Tends to give a skewed view on the distribution of quality, when in reality people here are people there and they have the same spread of good and bad ideas.
    Good point. Speaking of which, what were some particular bad anime releases that somehow made it to Western viewers? And what about those bad release that didn't make it to the West?
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    Because it's not actually Asian but actually pseudo-Asian Kung-Fu Panda
    That would be a good point if not for the fact Pandaren have existed longer then Kung Fu Panda.

Deleted
    TBH I really dislike jRPG, and stupid korean grinders mmo, don't like anime, and all that pop culture from there, but I can't find almost any refferences to that beside music in MoP, so I have no idea what are thay talking about, maybe slightly chinese Pandaren accent? funny because most of them have southern USA accent from what I heard (and also think it's quite stupid)

Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    That would be a good point if not for the fact Pandaren have existed longer then Kung Fu Panda.
    And that Blizzard changed Pandarens to become similar to Kung Fu Pandas