Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well at least they didn't pick Uwe Boll to direct it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-31 at 06:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that the Arthas story line would be perfect for the movie.

- The story would be a classic cinema trope (the demise of the hero / the hero becoming that which he hates most)
    - The story is emotionally driven.
    - The main character is human and therefore relatable. (this is great for the majority audience who are not familiar with the lore)
    - The story, if well written and if movie is a success, can be extended by 1 or 2 more movies to include the final demise of the hero (Icecrown). This would include a cool showdown and catharsis for Arthas.

What do you guys think?
    As much as I love the story of Arthas I really do not think it will be about him. It will likely tie in with an upcoming expansion like something do do with the Burning Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Am i the only one who thinks they dropped this now to Hype up the masses and divert attention from the incoming Q4 report?
    Yes, you are.

Watch. Q4 will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

About time we hear more about the movie... it was announced way back during mid TBC that were were already making the damn thing.

Still hoping that they decide to base the story on Arthas. He's the best choice as the main character

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Well, the first part is true, the resident evil franchise is succesful, but then you go on about the quality of the film. Money it makes =/= how good it is. Two Tomb Raider movies made more than any 1 Resident Evil film. Second highest grossing video game film is Prince of Persia. First is Lara Croft Tom Raider at 131 million. Depending on a trailer, the WoW movie could triumph that in a week, due to fanbase and people's parents being interested in what the hell their kids have been spending their moeny on. Also they need to make a Mass Effect/ Halo movie already, long overdue.
    Halo movie is Forward Unto Dawn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luccadeo View Post
    Well at least they didn't pick Uwe Boll to direct it.[COLOR="red"]
    What Blizzard done when Uwe Boll asked about the rights

Throughly enjoyed moon, So hoping that this will be good

I've pretty much lost all faith for video games turned movie.

No way in hell I'd spend movie ticket prices to watch another one and no matter the massive hype blizzard will try and spin on this one and they will do just that, it wont be one to see at the theater. Netflix maybe.

There all pretty much terrible with only a few I'd even consider mediocre at best.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 02:21 PM.

Seriously. Wow movie has to be animated. It will not work any other way....
    And by god WE NEED A AWESOME animated movie. And blizzard sure does know how to make beautiful animated movies.
    Wouldnt it be nice? rather then some half poor CGI movie.

Also i cant see wow movie become a flop. THEY HAVE ALL THE LORE THEY NEED.
    Last edited by Johnkie; 2013-01-31 at 02:24 PM.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that the Arthas story line would be perfect for the movie.

- The story would be a classic cinema trope (the demise of the hero / the hero becoming that which he hates most)
    - The story is emotionally driven.
    - The main character is human and therefore relatable. (this is great for the majority audience who are not familiar with the lore)
    - The story, if well written and if movie is a success, can be extended by 1 or 2 more movies to include the final demise of the hero (Icecrown). This would include a cool showdown and catharsis for Arthas.

What do you guys think?
    I disagree

I think that Arthas' story should be saved for later, if ever actually done. Starting with Arthas would be a typical Hollywood-movie mistake; to start with the best and then... have nowhere else to go if succesful. It's typical Michael Bay thinking, and it gets boring fast, supossing you want a seties of movies and not just a single one.

WarCraft can and should be a series of cinematic movies in my opinion. The world is just too big to do it justice in a single movie. I am not saying by this that everything should be included, quite the contrary; there should be a careful selection of what to include and what not to. But, there is a lot of material that has the potential to be used in a good way, but will take more than a single movie to do so. In parts, not all together. This way all of the different elements can get their time to shine, like all the different racial factions. Give concepts such as the elves the time to be interesting instead of going 'Huray, our allies the dwarves, the gnomes and the elves are here, fellow humans, now we can kick some ass!' Cash in on the coolness of each aspect, not gloss over them.

Actually WarCraft's storyline is a quite nice guide to such an approach. It starts with a few racial factions in conflict with each other, then expands to some more, only to introduce a bigger danger that unites them all, have the danger subside for the moment, but leave its scars and those scars to twist things, cause even more conflict that breaks the attempts at peace, only for the danger to return when the various heroes of the story are at their weakest and most vulnerable. Bad thing about that approach is it is very risky financially, since it will require more than one movie. The good thing is, people love grand storytelling. They enjoy vast fictional worlds, as long as they are done right, like it was seen with the Lord of the Rings movies. And they they will even watch a classic swashbuckling adventure as long as it is done right. So there is no need to go to the limits right from the start. Only need is to do a good job and not cut corners.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-31 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not too sure if I should be bouncing off the walls hyper about the film, or if I shouldn't get my hopes up about it....
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    When i think about it..

streetfighter was shit
    Dbz was shit
    Silent hill was shit
    tombraider was shit

the only game movie i can think of that was rather enjoyable was resident evil... Oh gawd.. dont let them Do this..
    Street fighter animated movie was good.

Also, Raul Julia in live action SF movie "for me it was tuesday" comment was epic (yes the rest was crap).

100 M $ budget... interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    When i think about it..

streetfighter was shit
    Dbz was shit
    Silent hill was shit
    tombraider was shit

the only game movie i can think of that was rather enjoyable was resident evil... Oh gawd.. dont let them Do this..
    If the movie is mostly CGI, it'll be fantastic, because obviously you've seen the Blizzard Cinematics over the years.

If it's Live Action, I dunno.

It's up in the air.

It's not Peter Jackson or James Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    Not too sure if I should be bouncing off the walls hyper about the film, or if I shouldn't get my hopes up about it....
    Look up successful video games turned movies and you will go with your latter thought.

Just a hand full have been mediocre at best and I mean a small hand full. The majority have just sucked.

Here's a site with a rundown of the top 32 and if blizzard is putting in 100 million to make the film and you go off just past movies, then they are already losing money.

Check it here:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

The CGI stuff blizzard makes is to good to discount it and do a live action movie with a very high chance to fail.

EDIT: Looking at those numbers is kinda sad. Seeing that for all 32 movies, one comic book adaption of the avengers grossed more than all of them.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 03:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Look up successful video games turned movies and you will go with your latter thought.

Just a hand full have been mediocre at best and I mean a small hand full. The majority have just sucked.

Here's a site with a rundown of the top 32 and if blizzard is putting in 100 million to make the film and you go off just past movies, then they are already losing money.

Check it here:
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/...adaptation.htm

The CGI stuff blizzard makes is to good to discount it and do a live action movie with a very high chance to fail.
    Thing about that link is it only lists the american gross income in that first page. When you actually click on the link for each movie you'll see most have pretty much the same gross profit again from overseas income. Meaning that if the movie does better then some of the later Resident Evil movies that it's allready breaking even ON PURE MOVIE INCOME. Now add to that merchandise and crap and Blizz should be doing allright out of the deal. Not to mention that if the movie is succesful they could draw in a whole slew of old and new players to WoW. CHA-CHING!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    I disagree

<snip>
    Why are you talking about multiple movies already? The first needs to be a success before you can even think about what might come in the future. As for giving races their own movie to flesh out the universe, that sounds great and all but remember this is a +100 million dollar production, it needs to satisfy a lot more than the few million fans out there, it needs to appeal to a much wider audience.

I do have to say, at least the guy is confident. Here's his tweet from yesterday:

"So the gauntlet was thrown down ages ago: Can you make a proper MOVIE of a video game.Ive always said its possible.Got to DO it now! "

I'm really hopeful he'll pull this off.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Thing about that link is it only lists the american gross income in that first page. When you actually click on the link for each movie you'll see most have pretty much the same gross profit again from overseas income. Meaning that if the movie does better then some of the later Resident Evil movies that it's allready breaking even ON PURE MOVIE INCOME. Now add to that merchandise and crap and Blizz should be doing allright out of the deal. Not to mention that if the movie is succesful they could draw in a whole slew of old and new players to WoW. CHA-CHING!
    Your also not adding in the massive amount of publicity needed for the movie and the incurring cost which is normally millions of additional dollars and for most movies it's over half of the production cost.

Take the movie most thought was a flop.

The Last Airbender. 150Mil production but it had another 130 mil in marketing. A total of 280 million.

Even that movie made money but we'll likely never see another one cause it's seen as a failure for a live action and it's not even a video game and they have a much harder time being sold to the public.

All that is not saying it wont make some money, A live action has massive potential to be seen as a flop, even if it makes a profit.
    Last edited by quras; 2013-01-31 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post

Take the movie most thought was a flop.

The Last Airbender. 150Mil production but it had another 130 mil in marketing. A total of 280 million.

Even that movie made money but we'll likely never see another one cause it's seen as a failure for a live action and it's not even a video game and they have a much harder time being sold to the public.
    Yeah but you have to keep in mind M. Night Shamalamadingdong directed Avatar..

Why are you talking about multiple movies already? The first needs to be a success before you can even think about what might come in the future. As for giving races their own movie to flesh out the universe, that sounds great and all but remember this is a +100 million dollar production, it needs to satisfy a lot more than the few million fans out there, it needs to appeal to a much wider audience.
    I am talking about multiple movies in an imaginary scenario where you can create your own version, as an answer to what I quoted. The script for the actual movie has already been written. And I am not a mindreader to be able to know what it is about to discuss that.

As for the audience that has to be satisfied, it is exactly because of that why I wouldn't just put everyone in the movie. It would just end up too confusing for the average viewer that knows next to nothing about WarCraft.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-01-31 at 03:30 PM.