Thread: Is this racist?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is this racist?

for some reason this being seen as a racist commercial? Are people getting to sensitive now-a-days?
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs, and they do not fear.* They can not fear."

I guess if Jamaicans being known as a happy people counts as racist, then sure...
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Deleted
    No, not at all...

Not really racist but it's not cool by any standards. (this coming from a Jamaican dude btw)

more than anything it's stereotyping.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Whoever call that racist is way too oversensitive, but i dont think people give a shit about this in europe.

I really like this commercial though, even without the accent, i would still find it a great way to think about things and really be optimistic
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs, and they do not fear.* They can not fear."

10+ Year Old Account
    People like that would annoy me. Not Jamaicans. Just excessively happy people in general.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Not racist, but it is sterotyping, although from what i read the Jamacian gov't and tourism were all fine with it because it promotes a positive vibe for them.

Silly stereotype? Yes. Racist? Nah, not unless being happy is a negative trait.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Silly stereotype? Yes. Racist? Nah, not unless being happy is a negative trait.
    Technically racism is painting an entire race with specific _something_, be it negative or positive.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    No way mon! Dis be a total biscuit of a commercial! I an I loves it!

Seriously though, peopel with a Jamacian accent just sound happy, and thats what I think they were trying to say. That, and everyone thinks happy thoughts when they think of Jamacia.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't see how it is racist at all.

What does Jamaica have to do with a German car?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people actually believe this is racist?

How are stupid people still able to shock me? Maybe I should count myself among the stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. Ignore anything said in the future by those who say it is racist as their common sense is impaired beyond cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathiest View Post
    What does Jamaica have to do with a German car?
    DAS AUTO!!!! Thats what.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2013-02-04 at 06:34 AM.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Jamaican isn't a race, it's a nationality. So no that commercial isn't racist.

haha that advert is sick!

OT: i dont think its racist ... people are just being alittle too sensitive about

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    Not really racist but it's not cool by any standards. (this coming from a Jamaican dude btw)

more than anything it's stereotyping.
    Stereotypes exist for a reason. Obviously not all Jamaican's are as easy going and care free as portrayed in this add.

I don't see that racist at all. And it brings a smile to my face haha cute

Also: Nowhere does it say it's pretending that the guy is Jamaican, so anyone who things that could be seen as being racist as they're assuming that. ;P You see what I did thur?
    Raaaa!