Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Let's Talk about 4k resolution.

So today I discovered some 4k videos on YouTube... needless to say I'm watching them on a screen with 1440x900 resolution, so the quality is a bit diminished, regardless, the quality is amazing, and it takes forever to load the video and makes my laptops video card go into overdrive.

To start off discussion, when do you think we'll see 4k displays and broadcasts be widespread/mainstream? I would like to see it happen within the next 5 years. The only problem I see with it becoming truly widespread is most common internet users only pay for minimum speeds, and with resolutions like these, internet data speeds will have to rise to support it.
    Call me House.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Laptops aren't really meant for anything intensive, this includes full HD and beyond video. 1080p+. Only recently have laptops really been able to push these resolutions without issue, I find.

Give it 5 years and yes, 4k will definitely be more in the mainstream. Hell, only 5 years ago, 1080p was still usually going for $250+, now it's easy to find 1080p monitors for $100-125.

Not saying 4k will be super cheap, but it will definitely be more easily accessible, as more folks will be producing such displays.

In terms of internet, just you wait, fiber optics will become more common in 5 years time I daresay, and slow speeds will be a thing of the past. (Frankly, America is about a decade behind the rest of the world on the internet front, anyways.)
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Japan is said to be planning to broadcast next year's World Cup in 4k. http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...-first-4k-uhd/

Mainstream? no idea.
    “In order to make apple pie from scratch, you must first make the Universe.” Carl Sagan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Laptops aren't really meant for anything intensive, this includes full HD and beyond video. 1080p+. Only recently have laptops really been able to push these resolutions without issue, I find.

Give it 5 years and yes, 4k will definitely be more in the mainstream. Hell, only 5 years ago, 1080p was still usually going for $250+, now it's easy to find 1080p monitors for $100-125.

Not saying 4k will be super cheap, but it will definitely be more easily accessible, as more folks will be producing such displays.

In terms of internet, just you wait, fiber optics will become more common in 5 years time I daresay, and slow speeds will be a thing of the past. (Frankly, America is about a decade behind the rest of the world on the internet front, anyways.)
    I agree with your statement about the US' internet. Where I live, a 6Mbps Down/0.6Mbps Up is considered fast. I've seen people post their speedtest results from Europe with speeds that are unrealistic where I live.

I certainly hope everything you predicted is true. I feel like technology hasn't really been advancing all that much in terms of video. We've had 720p/1080p forever now. I'm ready for something new.
    Call me House.

Heard that japan are pushing hard for 4k and 8k sets as they are trying to get some life back into the industry there so it could be a lot sooner than you would expect.

Also read about h.265 getting the go ahead as a new standard which halfs bit rates but keeps the quality on 1080p videos...they also have the high compression 10 bit encodes which are pretty damn small which would both help in 4k video

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/25/h265-is-approved/

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    We've had 720p/1080p forever now. I'm ready for something new.
    4:3 NTSC/PAL came out in the 1960s and lasted until 2006 when 1080p Blu-Ray came out and a few years later digital TV with 720p.
    That's over 46 years 480p and 7 years 1080p and you already want 3840p...

There are still millions of people with a 480p SD TV.

And why not a bigger jump in resolution for a true cinema-at-home feeling?
    8K UHDTV (4320p) has a resolution of 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels), 16 times the pixels of current 1080p HDTV, which brings it to roughly the detail level of 15/70mm IMAX.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    4:3 NTSC/PAL came out in the 1960s and lasted until 2006 when 1080p Blu-Ray came out and a few years later digital TV with 720p.

8K UHDTV (4320p) has a resolution of 7680 × 4320 (33.2 megapixels), 16 times the pixels of current 1080p HDTV, which brings it to roughly the detail level of 15/70mm IMAX.
    Last I checked IMAX is still mostly just working in 2k resolution.

8k is being pushed though, we already have a 5+ page long thread discussing Sharp pushing 8k displays.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogdora View Post
    So today I discovered some 4k videos on YouTube... needless to say I'm watching them on a screen with 1440x900 resolution, so the quality is a bit diminished, regardless, the quality is amazing, and it takes forever to load the video and makes my laptops video card go into overdrive.

To start off discussion, when do you think we'll see 4k displays and broadcasts be widespread/mainstream? I would like to see it happen within the next 5 years. The only problem I see with it becoming truly widespread is most common internet users only pay for minimum speeds, and with resolutions like these, internet data speeds will have to rise to support it.
    I have no buffering at all for the 4K videos on Youtube, granted I'm on 100Mbit fiber but so have I been for the last 10 years. The infrastructure has been available for a long time but sadly not all countries have the government subsidizing the growth of it.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post

I'm not complaining about 720p/1080p, I'm fine with those, they both look great, I'm just saying that it's about time for something new to come along, and it is finally starting to come along, beginning with the 4k.

And true, 8K will be pretty amazing to see as well.
    Call me House.

Last I checked IMAX is still mostly just working in 2k resolution.
    I'm talking about analog traditional IMAX film, which is estimated to be up to 12,000 × 8,700 pixels with at least 6,120 × 4,500 minimum discernible pixels (27 megapixels).

Estimated because analog
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    imo its unneeded unless screen size gets "out of controll big"
    because face it, the format is based on 1080p right now, and even that is sub-2k (1920)

yes it will eventually come about, but will be way overpriced and way out of my concern far into the future i see.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahFrigginBlah View Post
    imo its unneeded unless screen size gets "out of controll big"
    because face it, the format is based on 1080p right now, and even that is sub-2k (1920)

yes it will eventually come about, but will be way overpriced and way out of my concern far into the future i see.
    While 1080p is good for watching movies I would love to get a higher resolution on my monitor than the current 1920x1200 I have. I find the 2560x1440 monitors to be a bit too big for my taste and way too expensive as well. If we would get more higher resolution monitors on the market then the prices would surely get more reasonable.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have an old 1080p monitor from the 90s that one on my parent's friend gave us about 8 years ago, I wonder how much it cost him back then haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorlak View Post
    I have an old 1080p monitor from the 90s that one on my parent's friend gave us about 8 years ago, I wonder how much it cost him back then haha.
    Wait, seriously? Can you post a picture? O.o
    "A flower.

Panasonic had a 4k tablet at 2013 CES, they said it would arrive sometime this year probably 4th quarter
    Last edited by Capt Froggy; 2013-02-02 at 03:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    Panasonic had a 4k tablet at 2013 CES, they said it would arrive sometime this year probably 4th quarter
    Wasn't the thing like 20 inches wide? O_o
    "A flower.

Wasn't the thing like 20 inches wide? O_o
    Yeah, it is more of a table than a tablet.
    http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/642/...let-specd.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Yeah, it is more of a table than a tablet.
    http://www.nextpowerup.com/news/642/...let-specd.html
    Lol maybe they accidentally put the "t" on the end. I don't see that selling to well.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't allude to any price for the megatablet, did they?
    "A flower.

They didn't allude to any price for the megatablet, did they?
    it turns out Panasonic is targeting big-ticket graphics design and engineering firms with the product.
    That sounds pretty expensive to me.